Water weight...my stats from 3 days of vacation.

Options
Just thought I'd share this because I find it fascinating.

We went to Disney World for 2 nights. I ate EVERYTHING, as it was meant as a "food vacation" including the Food and Wine festival (I don't drink alcohol). I was approx 122 lbs on Friday morning. When I returned home on Sunday night, I was 138 lbs. 16 lbs in 3 days!

This morning (Wednesday), I'm back to 125 lbs, but I'm STILL recovering. My body certainly is telling me that my little weekend binge on sodium was not a good idea. But boy, it sure was fun in the moment. I'm guessing I gained maybe 2 lbs of actual weight.

Replies

• ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    Do you really think you overate by 7000 cals in 3 days? I've had massive binge weekends and never actually gained 2 lbs in a weekend! I'm sure your body will settle :)
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    ARGriffy wrote: »
    Do you really think you overate by 7000 cals in 3 days? I've had massive binge weekends and never actually gained 2 lbs in a weekend! I'm sure your body will settle :)

Lol. Read her second paragraph. I'm sure she knows this. :)
  • daz2270
    daz2270 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I've done 8lb in 2 days before, which came off after a week or so. 16lbs is impressive!
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    neldabg wrote: »

I was responding specifically to the last paragraph?
    "I'm guessing I gained maybe 2 lbs of actual weight."

:)
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    neldabg wrote: »

I was responding specifically to the last paragraph?
    "I'm guessing I gained maybe 2 lbs of actual weight."

:)

In the course of 2-3 days, it's very easy to consume 7000 extra calories if you have been eating at a consistent deficit, for one...

Let's say, based on OP's weight, she's eating maybe 1500 calories consistently. That means that each day, consumption of 5000 calories would need to happen. Considering that she stated she attended a Food and Wine Festival, and was also at a theme park, it would not be implausible to find that she'd managed to consume 4-5kcals a day.

That being said, it's highly unlikely that aggressive consumption of this nature occurring during 2 days with an immediate return to the 1500 calorie diet would result in any actual weight gain. We use caloric intake as a guideline for weight control but the reality is that it take habitual consistencies to result in long-term weight gain... So really, the only "gain" that would be noticed, most likely, is if a person had the habit of daily weigh-ins, which often reveal weight fluctuations from other causes such as hormones and exercise.

I'd be asking more like, was the activity level higher since she was at a theme park? Because if so, it's more likely that any weight gain is actually swole, rather than fat.
  • mlt2908
    mlt2908 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Water weight gain makes me crazy!! I retain water so easily so scale can go up and down within a day or two.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Well you retain water when you fly too, apparently. But wow, that must still have been scary, lol.

I wish I was one of the people who lose all the vacation weight within a couple weeks though, it always takes me months for it to go away!
  • 007Aggie
    007Aggie Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have a pretty decent grasp of my numbers, so I do believe 2 lbs is doable for me if you look at my numbers and the things I consumed. I've been logging my food accurately and weighing myself every morning for over 2 years. I maintain on 1600 calories plus eating back exercise calories from synced steps and the calories from cycling, logged as half the time (log 100 minutes as 50). My average steps for the last month is around 20,000.

Sunday was a travel day, and I ate entirely restaurant foods that were logable. I only had 6,000 steps that day and was over by 3,200ish calories. Also, I consumed over 10,000 mg of sodium!

The other days I was more active, but my intake wasn't much different. I'm talking about large sodas, chili cheese dogs, huge baskets of fries, a German buffet, ice cream, Halloween candy, etc. If Sunday was 1 lb of calories over, I feel like I can split another lb between Friday and Saturday.

Side note...don't do this. My stomach is still a mess. I've been eating bland for 3 days now and I still feel sick every time I eat something.
  • 007Aggie
    Options
    My steps for Friday were 23,000. Saturday was 31,000. So yes, those days were above my average but not outside of normal for me. I usually have several days a week where I hit those numbers, and then a few almost let sedentary days (weather in New England).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    007Aggie wrote: »
    I have a pretty decent grasp of my numbers, so I do believe 2 lbs is doable for me if you look at my numbers and the things I consumed. I've been logging my food accurately and weighing myself every morning for over 2 years. I maintain on 1600 calories plus eating back exercise calories from synced steps and the calories from cycling, logged as half the time (log 100 minutes as 50). My average steps for the last month is around 20,000.

Sunday was a travel day, and I ate entirely restaurant foods that were logable. I only had 6,000 steps that day and was over by 3,200ish calories. Also, I consumed over 10,000 mg of sodium!

The other days I was more active, but my intake wasn't much different. I'm talking about large sodas, chili cheese dogs, huge baskets of fries, a German buffet, ice cream, Halloween candy, etc. If Sunday was 1 lb of calories over, I feel like I can split another lb between Friday and Saturday.

Side note...don't do this. My stomach is still a mess. I've been eating bland for 3 days now and I still feel sick every time I eat something.

I assume your travel day was by air? Airplane bloat is huge too...I just returned from San Diego and actually ate pretty well and didn't go crazy and was pretty active...I wracked up 10 Lbs in three days...a lot of that is the airplane...the rest is water from eating out all weekend and excess waste.
  • 007Aggie
    Options
    Yes, by air.

In case you were wondering, the Sunday/logable foods were McDonalds breakfast, On the Border lunch, and Wendy's dinner. Snacks of an ice cream bar, ginger ale and terra blue chips on the plane, and some Halloween candy.

Quite honestly, the On The Border lunch was the biggest chunk. That meal alone is more than I usually eat in a day. But it was so worth it. I'm a Texan living in New England, and while OTB isn't great Tex-Mex, it's still better than what I get locally. :)
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    007Aggie wrote: »
    Yes, by air.

In case you were wondering, the Sunday/logable foods were McDonalds breakfast, On the Border lunch, and Wendy's dinner. Snacks of an ice cream bar, ginger ale and terra blue chips on the plane, and some Halloween candy.

Quite honestly, the On The Border lunch was the biggest chunk. That meal alone is more than I usually eat in a day. But it was so worth it. I'm a Texan living in New England, and while OTB isn't great Tex-Mex, it's still better than what I get locally. :)

Sounds like you know what you are talking about. Also, sounds like you had a blast. Hopefully, one day I will feel comfortable enough to treat myself to an eating weekend like that. :)
  • tenreps
    tenreps Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Not to worry, I gain 4-5lbs after a refeed day and lose it the very next day-just water weight but it's good weigh in daily to see the trend.
  • hypodonthaveme
    hypodonthaveme Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Oh water weight is miserable. I detest water weight. 4 lbs water weight takes me a week or so to get rid of and 2 days of mental confirmation that i did not eat an excess of 3500 calories per pound.

Chin up. It will settle. Breathe and keep the memories of the festival.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Oh water weight is miserable. I detest water weight. 4 lbs water weight takes me a week or so to get rid of and 2 days of mental confirmation that i did not eat an excess of 3500 calories per pound.

Chin up. It will settle. Breathe and keep the memories of the festival.

I totally agree. I have read lots of posts from others saying their weight settles back in a day or two. I'm totally jealous. It takes me about 7-10 days at least.

I also go through that mental calculation and confirmation that I didn't eat 3500/7000 calories over maintenance. So, it can't possibly be real fat. It sucks! :s
  • 007Aggie
    Options
    I'm not upset by the scale, just a bit surprised at the number.

It might take me two weeks, but eventually everything will settle. I'm totally fine if I gained an actual 2 lbs of fat, because I was beginning to look a bit too lean for my liking. I'm 5' 6.75" tall. In preparation for this trip, I actually dropped down to my lowest weight in my adult life. I prefer to maintain around 124-125 lbs, and dropped down to 121.9.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Whenever I do a big trip I gain weight that it takes me a few weeks to lose. It isn't calories. It's mostly water. But it can still take 2 weeks to drop.
  • Kurzweil
    Kurzweil Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Did your clothes still fit?! I recently gained about 7 lbs of water weight over the course of 5 days (and then took it off in about the same amount of time), and my clothes were definitely feeling tight! I'm pretty tall as well so it's not like I change sizes that easily.

I'm asking partially because I'm going on a big vacation in December and have already planned that I'm fine with gaining up to 5 lbs (whether they are "real" or water weight), and I've been thinking I better make sure I have some comfy loose pants for the plane ride home!
  • 007Aggie
    Options
    Kurzweil wrote: »
    Did your clothes still fit?! I recently gained about 7 lbs of water weight over the course of 5 days (and then took it off in about the same amount of time), and my clothes were definitely feeling tight! I'm pretty tall as well so it's not like I change sizes that easily.

I'm asking partially because I'm going on a big vacation in December and have already planned that I'm fine with gaining up to 5 lbs (whether they are "real" or water weight), and I've been thinking I better make sure I have some comfy loose pants for the plane ride home!

Well, they probably wouldn't have except I planned ahead. My pants were a bit loose when I left since I lost weight in anticipation of gaining on the trip. Plus, I wore very forgiving athletic wear the entire 3 days. I came home on the plane in running shorts, since it was Florida on one side and record temps for October on the other. I wore jeans on Monday, and they actually fit nicely. They were a bit loose last week and also have a bit of stretch to them though.

I cruise frequently, and I always take a few pairs of bigger pants for the end of the cruise. 2 years ago I spent 14 days at Disney World on the dining plan, and I was squeezing into my chino shorts by the end of that. I cringe at some of the pictures taken in the last few days!!