Halloween horror?

Options

Replies

• lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I bought a candy that I'm not so likely to tear into--plain mini Hersheys bars. I have my own stash of dark chocolate that I eat daily. But I know if I had a big bag of mini Snickers, Twix, etc. I would be eating those, so I'm avoiding buying that this year. Also, another problem I've had in the past is when my kids come home with three huge buckets of candy. I will have to try not to put my hand in their bucket too often!
  • emjam99
    emjam99 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I faced the same thing but did pretty well last year. Save room for a few treats, last year I ate light all day and the one I looked forward to was frozen yogurt. Hide the candy or make sure it's given all away. I also decided to save money that would be spent on food for new clothes
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Put the candy away until that night. Chew gum for those few hours while you're entertaining trick or treaters. Give the last few kids the rest of the bowl at the end of the night.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Halloween/trick or treat is a fairly recent thing here, in fact it's only my foreign neighbours that do it (we're more Penny For The Guy in the UK, and that's on the wane and not done door-to-door). I've bought chocs for the last two years but this year they're having tangerines so the leftovers aren't so tempting for me!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I keep the big bags of candy closed until trick-or-treating, and will have maybe one small bag open in a bowl in the house. I have kids, and they aren't buying the "we don't have any candy" routine. They get to have a piece for dessert leading up to the holiday. I also sit outside to hand out candy so all the neighbors would see me if I were to just sit there shoving chocolate down my gullet, covered in empty wrappers.

Once the kids come back with their trick-or-treating haul, we go through it and set a bunch aside for the Switch Witch, everything else goes into a labeled ziplock bag. Switch Witch candy and anything I have left over get taken to the dentist, they pay by the pound and donate the candy to service members overseas.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    This year, I'm buying candy the day of trick-or-treating (10/31) and the last kid gets whatever if left in the bucket at 8:30 -- then adult party time.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    lissmayer wrote: »
    LAMCDylan wrote: »
    Throw it in the trash. Why buy it in the first place??

Because you don't want to be the lame, curmudgeon dick who turns off his lights on the neighborhood children? It's called "fun."

Then buy it the day of Trick or Treating. If you don't give it all out, throw that *kitten* in the garbage.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I'm just waiting until later this week to buy it and am going to buy less than we normally would in previous years to avoid leftovers. I'm not going to buy gross candy though just because I used to have a weight problem- self control and mindfulness are important things to practice afterall
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Get yourself hooked on really good quality chocolate. After that, most the Hallowe'en candy tastes kind of crappy and isn't very tempting. (Unfortunately, this can be an expensive habit - but a delicious one! And I find it much easier to portion control with good quality dark chocolate.)

Agreed. If I had trick or treaters I'd buy the typical low quality milk chocolate, which doesn't tempt me at all. I'd give leftovers to a food bank.

Last year my church was doing an Equal Exchange chocolate sale and I bought a box of minis for the coordinator to give directly to the local Head Start.
  • luvmylife2016
    luvmylife2016 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I try to tell myself that if I get a good workout in then I can have a treat as long as my calories allow for it. Maybe eventually I will trick my brain into believing the workout is the treat. Just a thought.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    drink instead - candy and alcohol don't go together
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    drink instead - candy and alcohol don't go together

Ha! You have never seen me with a desert menu and a bottle of bubbles or white wine.

x830ukt7mc1m.jpeg

The above, deep fried Mars bar, and a couple of glasses of wine was my dinner a couple of months ago.
    So glad I decided to go for it when I did, I had been drooling over the concept for months, they took it off the menu a few weeks later. Whew.

Mmmm, don't know which of those drinks to have first.

Cheers, h.
  • JoenDeb1958
    JoenDeb1958 Posts: 229 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I buy candy for the kids, not myself. I have a good natural dark chocolate for myself if I am so incline. To tell the truth since I have had it in the house I haven't wanted it. Halloween is for kids to enjoy so why not make it enjoyable for them?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    lissmayer wrote: »
    LAMCDylan wrote: »
    Throw it in the trash. Why buy it in the first place??

Because you don't want to be the lame, curmudgeon dick who turns off his lights on the neighborhood children? It's called "fun."
    Gaining weight & being obese is not fun.
  • terrinicolefit
    terrinicolefit Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Buy candy you don't like. I'm a teacher and always buy candy for my students treat jar that I don't like so that I won't eat it.