Breakfast food - please help!

Options
2»

Replies

• eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    For breakfast, and any meal really, make sure that you get lean protein, healthy fats and high fiber.

Here are my main breakfasts that I like to eat:

Yogurt Parfait (layered)
    - 2/3 cup plain nonfat greek yogurt
    - 1/4 cup kashi go lean cereal
    - 1/2 cup blueberries, strawberries
    - 2 Tbsp Almond slices

Oatmeal, Eggs and Almonds (Eaten separately)
    - 1/4 cup dry oatmeal cooked with 1/2 cup water
    - 1/2 cup egg beaters cooked
    - 1 serving (18 grams=100 calories) natural almonds

Higher in sodium, but still good: Peanut butter toast and eggs
    - 2 slices lite wheat bread, toasted (35 calories a slice)
    - 1 tbsp natural peanut butter
    - 1/4 cup egg beaters, cooked

These are all around a 40-30-30 plan (not exact), and contain from 200 to 250 calories.
  • sawalter68
    sawalter68 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I like Go Lean (you get 1 cup which is a lot) with vanilla ice cream whey protein powder and chopped walnuts. Keeps me full all morning. I also eat 1 egg scrambled with 2-3 egg whites. I eat this on Trader Joe's multi-grain sprouted bread.
  • watermelon26
    Options
    thanks! these are really good suggestions. i'm looking for something low calorie/fat for breakfast because I eat a lot of my calorie limit in the second half of the day. what is the test that a couple of you suggested? what does it test for?
  • greenscrapcat
    Options
    Love oatmeal, it sticks with you longer, and canadian bacon. Or a scrambled egg and toast :)
  • hedleyrocks247
    hedleyrocks247 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal with Peanut Butter in it......TO DIE FOR!!!!!! It's often my supper when I'm on evening shift as well!!!!! DELISH!!!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I eat two scrambled eggs, cooked with olive oil.
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Love oatmeal, it sticks with you longer, and canadian bacon. Or a scrambled egg and toast :)
    Yep, the WHOLE office can smell when you are eating your oatmeal. :wink:
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Don't always look at low cal. Look at nutrition. I try to eat the most before 2pm so I don't have a problem with a large breakfast. As mentioned you need some form of protein in your breakfast. Many nutrition sites recommends eggs and some studies suggest that people who eat eggs for breakfast tend to snack less and lose more weight.
  • watermelon26
    Options
    i just tried the oatmeal for the first time and oh my gosh. it is filling and healthy and low cal all in one. and since i made it with milk there was some added protein. healthiest breakfast i've had in a long time!
  • elle277
    elle277 Posts: 3
    Options
    yeah i`ve had this problem too and the best solution for me was either oatmeal or oatbran. cooked in a lot of water and for longer time. also sometimes i cook in an egg white or protein powder and i always add flaxseeds, sometimes soymilk or almond milk. and top with fruit or something. i don`t put any sugar in it. sometimes top with nut butter but since you`re going for low calorie. but yes. OATMEAL AND OATBRAN ARE THE BEST FOR FILLING ME UP. :D
  • craft338
    craft338 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    my first thought is why are you trying so hard to have a tiny breakfast? i haven't looked at your diary or anything, but if you're that hungry, maybe try shifting some of your calories in the day to allow yourself a little more for breakfast.

i gave up cereal! it's so hard to find a low calorie cereal, unless it tastes like cardboard. when i get crazy hungry like that, i add a little chocolate protein powder to my coffee and it solves the problem for me :) i also eat an egg every morning, which helps. have a couple egg whites with some veggies in an omelet? lots of filling food for less calories. sometimes i have a nature's path waffle, one of them is between 80 and 100 calories depending on the flavor, and they're organic and have omega 3 and lots of good stuff....i have oatmeal on days that i know i'm gonna exercise and have the extra calories.
  • mucha3grls
    Options
    Fiber One Honey Squares 80 calories but use Almond Breeze Unsweetened Vanilla instead of milk it's only 40 calories.
  • destinynotes
    Options
    Hey...so.... I have a protein shake in the morning and am FULL! it has 30 % of the daily nutrients and vitamins that I need... and it promotes lean muscle mass.... the BEST part is the shake I use tastes like CAKE LOL and I NEED that yummy taste or I would quit!

I mix it with Almond Milk cause I am lactose intolerant... and I add frozen berries... or peanut butter :) The shake is about 200 calories by the time its in my cup... my daughter LOVES them....

its AMAZING!

I never ate breakfast... so I found once I STARTED... that all of a sudden... I had energy... and burned calories... hurray me! 15 lbs down! and 15 inches!
  • supercatie18
    supercatie18 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    IDk how you feel about eggs.... but if you want a low cal egg sandwich, you could do one egg scrambled on a toasted thomas' english muffin..get the mulitgrain kind with 8g of fiber...it really fills you up at 170 cals for the whole thing
  • walkwithme1
    walkwithme1 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I am also really hungry in the morning. I found that the raisin spice oatmeal is really good with a whole wheat english muffin or an egg sandwich with tomato on whole wheat holds me over till around 2. I work in a restaurant so I can't do the typical 5 meals because of the busy times there. I also find that yogurt with granola and a banana fills me up pretty well too. Good luck!