How to cut back on sugar without being miserable?

Options
I am absolutely addicted to sugar. I want to cut way back, but the headaches and weakness I have felt in past attempts have driven me straight back to the candy aisle. Does anyone have tips for doing this with a minimum of suffering? Is it possible to gradually step down, instead of going cold-turkey? Is there any sort of substitute that will give my brain the same hit without the calories? I swear this is like withdrawal.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    What are you eating?

I don't eat much in the way of added sugars...a candy here and there or a cookie or whatever...I eat a few servings of fruit per day so most of my sugar is coming from that and my veg...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I replaced a lot of my added sugar with fruits and veggies.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    That's because it is withdrawal, if your body is accustomed to having it every day, then it's going to be in shock if you don't have it every day...you can cut back gradually (reduce by a piece of candy a week)...you can substitute alternative sugars like fruit (much lower calorie) or honey (good if you like it in tea) if you prefer.
  • MsRuffBuffNStuff
    MsRuffBuffNStuff Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Just think of it as poison. That's what helps me. There are some sugar free versions of candies that are ok, but they have a bit of a laxative effect... Basically, if anything has more than 10 grams of sugar per serving (including natural sugars), I don't touch it.
  • Kate157120
    Kate157120 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    So far today, I've had coffee with 1 tsp of sugar and 1 tbsp half-and-half, 2 eggs, and 2 pieces of whole wheat toast, followed by a snack of black tea and 2 cookies (90 calorie Graze snack). It's time for lunch and I think I'd stab someone for a bagel or pastry.
  • folgers86
    folgers86 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    How many grams were you eating and what are you trying to reduce it to? I love sugar and do ok eating most days at less than 39g. I eat carrots as a snack (I swear they taste sweet after eating them for a while), chocolate protein bar (low sugar/carb), and I have a yasso bar for dessert. Sometimes I make whole fruit smoothies. Some days I do give in and eat potato chips and pizza though. Or oreos.
  • folgers86
    folgers86 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Kate157120 wrote: »
    So far today, I've had coffee with 1 tsp of sugar and 1 tbsp half-and-half, 2 eggs, and 2 pieces of whole wheat toast, followed by a snack of black tea and 2 cookies (90 calorie Graze snack). It's time for lunch and I think I'd stab someone for a...

I would too if that's all I'd eaten! Go for more protein, legumes, Greek yogurt, chicken, etc.

• c_water19
    c_water19 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I think the biggest downfall to cutting back on sugar is all the HIDDEN sugar in things. I have cut back before and just started with the most obvious things and gone from there. Im not the type to do well completely restricting myself from things, it makes me want them more. :|
  • MsRuffBuffNStuff
    MsRuffBuffNStuff Posts: 363 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    So far today, I've had coffee with 1 tsp of sugar and 1 tbsp half-and-half, 2 eggs, and 2 pieces of whole wheat toast, followed by a snack of black tea and 2 cookies (90 calorie Graze snack). It's time for lunch and I think I'd stab someone for a bagel or pastry.

Have you tried Stevia as sweetener for your coffee? Sounds like you're eating a lot of carbs and sugars together. I don't have a lot of advice for this...except maybe try not to eat them in the morning? When you eat them, you crave more. At least I do. I don't eat anything until noon (after the gym) and then I start with something with protein (usually eggs). I'm not low-carb, but they are my last source of nutrition - I try to fill up on protein sources first.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited October 2016
    Options
    c_water19 wrote: »
    I think the biggest downfall to cutting back on sugar is all the HIDDEN sugar in things. I have cut back before and just started with the most obvious things and gone from there. Im not the type to do well completely restricting myself from things, it makes me want them more. :|

Sugar isn't hidden. It's right on the nutrition label.

OP, if you have drastically cut carbs from your diet, you should be having some electrolyte issues. How does sodium look?

Also, I would probably increase protein's as well or greater volume on your breakfast.
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I am absolutely addicted to sugar. I want to cut way back, but the headaches and weakness I have felt in past attempts have driven me straight back to the candy aisle. Does anyone have tips for doing this with a minimum of suffering? Is it possible to gradually step down, instead of going cold-turkey? Is there any sort of substitute that will give my brain the same hit without the calories? I swear this is like withdrawal.

Well, I can't see your diary, but I'm wondering if in addition to the sugar consumption, maybe it's an issue of palette? I know for me that when I'm mostly getting my sugar from fruits and veggies, I start to find the candy, cookies, pies, and cakes way too sweet.

1 tsp of sugar in your coffee seems fine to me.

Could you start by subbing in say, a piece of fruit rather than something like those cookies? Do that gradually.

I don't know if this would work for you, but I find protein gives me way more of a boost than carbs. For example, for my one of my snacks today, I have whole almonds.

I have gone cold turkey 2x now. I did the Fed Up Challenge for 10 days each time. That meant no added sugar, but what was present in fruit or vegetables was fine. And I cut out most processed foods. It was doable. The first 2 days were misery, but I felt fine after. Also, if you are going to do that, I highly recommend having everything planned out ahead of time. It is not something that lends itself to spontaneity.

• kirstenb13
    kirstenb13 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    folgers86 wrote: »
    So far today, I've had coffee with 1 tsp of sugar and 1 tbsp half-and-half, 2 eggs, and 2 pieces of whole wheat toast, followed by a snack of black tea and 2 cookies (90 calorie Graze snack). It's time for lunch and I think I'd stab someone for a...

I would too if that's all I'd eaten! Go for more protein, legumes, Greek yogurt, chicken, etc.
    Also add some fruit or veggies to bulk this up a little and add some fats. You're basically eating nothing but fairly processed carbs which apparently don't fill you up and now you blame sugar. If you change that you will have a much easier time.

• johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I am absolutely addicted to sugar.
    Is there any sort of substitute that will give my brain the same hit without the calories?
    I had this same problem. And like you say, you are addicted. The answer is fruit. You can eat alot of it and satisfy your sweet tooth while keeping your caloric intake low. The trick is finding sweet fruit. I have had good luck with golden delicious apples, watermelon, mangoes, cherries and red grapes. Strawberries are hit or miss. Blueberries are a pass.

• Kate157120
    Kate157120 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I made my food diary public. I was busy midday and skipped lunch, which is almost certainly a bad idea.
  • dawnellemom
    dawnellemom Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I feel the same. I just started 5 days ago (tried last year, stopped) and now my cholesterol is really high. I think it's all the sugar, at least partly. I'm doing ok as long as I plan everything and get protein in.
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I made my food diary public. I was busy midday and skipped lunch, which is almost certainly a bad idea.

Okay, so looking at yesterday, specifically at your snacks, maybe swap out one serving of the cookies for another fruit. While sugar is sugar, you're going to get other benefits from the fruit, like fiber. And in the meantime that should help with the craving for sweetness.

I'd also suggest exploring ways to add more protein in there because that will help with satiety.

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Just cut back on sugar, but don't eat too little food. 1200 calories per day is the bare minimum, and only suitable if you are shorter than average and just have little to lose. And drink enough water.
  • Cbestinme
    Cbestinme Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Are you reaching for sugary things when you are really truly hungry, or when stressed, or just habit?

I reach for food and sugary things when stressed. For stress I'm learning to reach for a healthier option like walking.

For hunger, I'm learning that I could use up 420 calories on a slice of chocolate cake, which may or not leave me still hungry, or I could use up 420 calories for a more nutritious meal (more of things that give that satiated feeling....protein, fat, fiber....).....you may have to experiment and see what will work best for you

If it's a habit issue maybe replace with a new habit. Good luck and if you need encouragement feel free to reach out.
  • Sharon009
    Sharon009 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Try xylitol made with birtch not corn. It tastes just like sugar and is good for you. I buy it on Amazon.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

Part of it could be the electrolytes as another poster mentioned. When you cut carbs you will lose water weight and with that you lose electrolytes. You'll probably need more sodium for a while. If you are actually getting to low carb levels (below 150g of carbs per day) you may need upwards of 3000-5000mg of sodium per day. That's 1-2 teaspoons of salt.

Electrolyte imbalance symptoms will include headaches, fatigue, brain fog, nausea, muscle aches or spasms, and a bad mood. Salt tablets, a cup of broth per day or salt in your water may help.

Cutting back gradually might help.