5ft - 5ft3 ladies?! Anyone else eating 1200

Options

Replies

• jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1 and towards the end of my loss journey I set myself to lose .5lb. To lose that I was at a net of about 1400 calories a day. I just started maintaining, so I'm not 100% sure of the number, but going by my previous numbers I'm starting at 1850 cals and going to make adjustments depending on what happens with my body. Now, I do exercise about 4-6 times a week.

But I started at 160lbs and now I'm down to 127-128lbs. I never had to eat at 1200 calories b/c I made sure to exercise and eat back half of those calories.

If you are sedentary, I could definitely see 1200 calories being necessary to losing weight.
  • aliem
    aliem Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    aliem wrote: »
    aliem wrote: »
    Me! I am not quite 5'2'', if I calculate out my maintenance at a sedentary activity level (I have a desk job), I am around 1500. Based on non-exercise days, this seems about right. I usually eat about 1200 a day. Sometimes a bit lower. Generally not lower than 1100. I do sometimes consume more (usually on special occasions or there are days that I just need to eat more!). I try to keep that below maintenance and not too often. I find that it really is not too hard, but you have to get used to eating a lot of veggies if you want your plate to look full. Good thing I love veggies!

A lot of people seem to think that anything below 1200 will suddenly put you in this starvation mode where you can no longer lose weight and are ruining your metabolism. Which may be true over time for the average person that has maintenance between 2000-2500. For me, 1200 is only a 300 calorie deficit and working out would increase that to more. That is not even a pound a week and by no means unsafe. If I were to start eating around 1500 a day, it would take weeks to lose one pound. To tell someone that they need to eat at their maintenance level because an amount slightly below that will put them in a phantom "starvation mode" is silly. If you were to tell someone with an average height and average activity to eat 2000 a day to lose weight, they would laugh at you. To lose weight, you need a deficit. If you are small, you are probably going to fall into a territory that would would be unsafe for average people. It takes less to feed someone that is 5'2'' than someone that is 5'7''. To have one flat number that is considered starving yourself for everyone, just doesn't make sense. Also, comparing the calorie needs of a toddler to a women who is done growing and less active is silly. They have much different needs.

1st lower metabolism & starvation mode're 2 completely separate things because 1 of them's a myth (starvation mode) 2nd 1,200 calories're typically fine without exercise, not so with exercising! The problem is that if 1 unnecessarily lowers their metabolism, they also lower; how much they're able to consume. If you'd like to consume as much as possible & without having to exercise, solely to compensate a lower metabolism; then why not consume as much as possible & still be in an appropriate deficit, to lose or level, to maintain?

The problem with that is that the 1200 number came from subtracting 1000 calories from the average TDEE. The 1000 calorie floor comes from various studies about how much is a safe amount to lose. The 1200 net is for an average person. It may work for you, but it certainly would be painstakingly slow for me. Saying that a 5' woman has the same floor as a 6' woman is silly.

That 1,200 calorie minimum, also includes various weight & activity levels, that aren't additional exercise! Height's only 1/3rd, of the equation!

Exactly! For the average person 1200 is probably close to correct. I am almost 5'2'', I only have about 10 pounds to lose so I weigh less than the average woman and have a sedentary life (I do work out to make up for it, so maybe you could argue that I have an average activity level, but since I am short and not too weighty, it takes way more for me to work off the same amount of calories)
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I'm 5'1", 124 lbs and maintain on ~1750. When I was actively losing weight, I averaged a loss of about 1/2 lb a week (with 40 lbs to lose) and it slowed to 1/4 lb a week once I got to a "healthy weight" of 132 lbs. I could only do 1200 when I was mostly sedentary.

I'm currently at my goal weight and working on recomp. My job is sedentary, but I'm lightly active otherwise and get 2-3 hours of exercise a week (hiking, running, yoga, strength training, etc.) I'm currently trying to up my activity level/steps. When I want to cut, I typically go down to 1400-1500 with no eating back exercise calories. I'll lose about 1/4 lb a week. (I can't do less than 1400 or my runs suffer.)

• c_water19
    c_water19 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    RoteBook wrote: »
    I'm 5'3" and have lost about 30 pounds so far eating around 1,750/day. I don't do much deliberate exercise (yet), but I do consider myself lightly active. I spend my days chasing a 4 year old and working at his preschool (so chasing lots of 4 year olds).

I am happily losing about .5 pound per week. Every time I restricted more I found myself thinking about food constantly, and I was miserable. I always fell off the wagon, binged, hated myself for failing, said *kitten* it, and stopped logging for months. This time I've stuck with it as well as I've wanted to, and lost more than I ever did when I restricted more.

I'm in the same boat. If I restrict myself too much, I'm just over it after a few weeks. For me the thing that has seemed to work best is iifym.com to calculate. Currently I'm not adding to my calorie intake due to excersice. Not till I'm comfortable with tracking. I don't think thereally is any one number fits all for this situation, it should be different for everyone. Imo
  • pbandwine
    pbandwine Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and average between 1200-1500 depending on my activity level. I usually get in at least 100g of protein daily though and focus on getting my carbs from veggies.
  • RebeccaNaegle
    RebeccaNaegle Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4" and cutting at 1200 calories a day or so. I weigh 119lbs right now. Weight falls off slowly. Hope this helps! Feel free to add!
  • eamoreno70
    eamoreno70 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm 5'3". 45 yrs old. I was just diagnosed with sleep apnea and they think I've had it since my 20s. Always had to exercise constantly and eat very little to keep weight off. So now we know why. I've just now been able to start losing weight again but I notice I have to stick between 1200-1500 to lose. I have about 85 lbs to lose. I have an office job, but I walk 40-45 minutes at least 6 times per week right now and getting well over 10,000 steps per day. Closer to 1500 calories I'm lucky to lose 1/2 pound per week. At 1200 I'm losing 2-4. But the 1200 is tough right now. Slowly working my way down. I also have food allergies including a lot of grains so it can make things interesting.
  • NinaSharp
    NinaSharp Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Not to throw a wrench in here, but I have a question. I use MFP and WW. I've noticed that my points with WW are typically less than1200. How do people lose/maintain on that?
  • Halena55
    Halena55 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Trying to stick to 1200 calories. Eating loads of cauliflower rice. Using Slimming World recipes.
  • babyjane723
    babyjane723 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I lost most of my weight eating at 1200 I'm 5"2. You can eat a surprisingly large amount of food if you're careful
  • sw33tp3a_1
    sw33tp3a_1 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4 There's no way I can eat that little. I'm in a 1,500 daily limit and I'm losing weight. I also exercise everyday and I eat those calories back.
  • azflamingo
    azflamingo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I stay at 1,200 daily. I get very little, if any exercise. On the days I do get out I will earn a couple of hundred calerie credits. I don't always use them. One day I earned 1200. I did not use them because my hunger did not increase.
    NinaSharp - I gave up WW and started MFP. I'm down 10 pounds in two months. WW stopped working for me. Good luck on your weight loss journey. I eat what I want, but have learned what I eat adds up quickly if I don't watch it.
  • Zee_0100
    Zee_0100 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Im 6.3 ;) you know any girl of my age give her my link. :wink:
  • JEE2015
    JEE2015 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I know I'll get a bunch of crap for this but I average 800-1000 a day and I'm not hungry. It's what and when you eat that is working for me. Low carbs and sugar, basically no "white" food (starches), moderate protein and fat. This just works for me.
  • sw33tp3a_1
    sw33tp3a_1 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 ;) , if you see any girls 15 years younger than me, give them my link ;)

I refuse