Eating breakfast

Options
13»

Replies

• ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »
    I eat breakfast b/c I like to. It helps me get some much needed protein and be more alert in the mornings. But it's not necessary for weight loss.

Me too and I agree. I don't have the problem others have of being hungrier after eating breakfast. A good, protein filled breakfast will keep me going for hours. Plus, I love breakfast foods so it makes me happy at the beginning of the day. Sometimes I will even eat it for dinner.
  • Cbestinme
    Cbestinme Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Do you eat a big dinner or late dinner?
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Meal timing/frequency don't matter-how many calories you've consumed by the end of the day do. Just make sure you're eating at the correct calorie deficit for your weight loss goals and you're good to go :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I think that what you have for breakfast has a lot to do with how you'll feel later too... but I used to be the same way as you until I was on MFP for a while. Either way, just eat when you're hungry.
  • emilysusana
    emilysusana Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I force myself to eat in the morning only because I workout in the morning and don't want to do that running on fumes. You know your patterns and if breakfast in the morning makes you go over by the end of the day and skipping it, you feel fine, then by all means skip it! Skipping meals is no good if you feel deprived because that's not sustainable, but if no breakfast was your default and you have energy in the morning to do what you need to do, forget about breakfast.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    "The best dietary protocol is the one you will stick to."
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast all the time, or if I do, I don't eat much - a granola bar, some fruit, maybe a yogurt or cheese stick. If I don't eat it, it shaves off a few hundred calories. If I do, then I try to adjust the rest of my meal timing. I find that breakfast will keep me full longer in the morning so I eat lunch later and will not have an afternoon snack. If I don't eat breakfast, then I eat lunch a bit earlier and have a small snack.

My man doesn't eat breakfast at all, ever. He says it upsets his stomach to eat before 10 am. He is a carpenter, so a physical job, and he is not overweight. He also eats one giant meal a day - dinner + snacks + dessert sometimes - and this seems to fuel him enough. There's more than one way to get the calories you need.

I always have my coffee though. Morning w/out coffee is not a morning I care to encounter.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Eating in the morning kicks off you metabolism, eat a small breakfast so in an hour you can have small snack like some almonds. Then in an 1 hour or so it will be time for lunch, as small lunch, then afternoon snack, then dinner then evening snack. You'll have to plan and keep everything small and with in your regiment however your insulin level will remain steady and if you watch what you eat your metabolism should increase, thus losing weight. Its very difficult to do 6 small meals I have problems if I don't plan them. I keep a jar of almonds and trail mix as a snack like a small palm size (SMALL)

Your metabolism doesn't need a kickstart, and meal timing is a personal preference for the most part. I wake up at 4:45 and don't eat breakfast until 10:30.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to pipe in that a scheduled breakfast after the night fast is indeed important for people with impaired insulin response, including diabetics.

OP, that's not the case for you. If your pill must be taken in the morning with food, figure out how small that meal can be through trial and error.
  • akilia112010
    akilia112010 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    You don't really have to eat breakfast. It's basically as if you're intermittent fasting. Lots of people wait until lunch to eat.