diagnose me please?!?!

sugarlovebug
sugarlovebug Posts: 158 Member
edited September 29 in Fitness and Exercise
I started doing the C25K program a few weeks ago. I finished week 1 and 2, but I hurt my leg day 3 of week 2. I pulled my calf muscle and something in my heel (tendons maybe?). I took this last week off for it to heal. I tried redoing week 2 again last night. I managed a total of 3mins of running, before my heel started hurting again.

So it feels like its pulling at my heel. It doesn't hurt to step down but to pull my foot up to take a step hurts. What could this be? I plan on going to the doctor, I just wanted to get an idea what it could be before hand.

This really sucks I have 9weeks before my first 5k and I can't even finish C25k program in time at this rate. I figure if I take 2 weeks off I would end up at 7wks of C25K and that would be okay if I start the 5k off walking then finish off running at least a 25min run. I just want to be able to say I did a 5k for an amazing cause (Susan G. Komen race)

Replies

• AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Hey, honey. Sounds like you pulled some tendons. A couple of ideas: you can either try an eliptical to decrease impact or cross train on a bike or in the pool (either swimming or running in the pool). Glad you're going to see the doc!
  • sugarlovebug
    WOW... Totally feel unwelcomed here!

No one else has any opinions....

how about tips to keep from getting hurt...

special streatching, etc.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,908 Member
    Also check for plantar faciaitis.
  • gingerfoxxx
    gingerfoxxx Posts: 267 Member
    I don't think people are trying to be unwelcoming, i think it is more of a concern about diagnosing a medical issue over the internet. It could just be a pulled muscle or worn out shoes, but there is that small chance that it is something more serious. no one wants to give you bad advice :)

As a preventitive measure, the best thing you can do is get very supportive shoes, they help your form, and help prevent injuries.
    A nice stretch that generally helps strengthen the calves/ankle/etc. is to spell out the alphabet using your toes. I do it everyday at my desk. (unless it is hurting you of course!)

The doc should be the final say, and if he is not super familiar with the problem, have him recommend a podiatrist.

(and honestly, just think positive, it seems to help injuries heal faster!)
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    I think the words diagnose me please put people off knowing they don't want to give wrong or even potentially harmful medical advice in place of you going to a doctor.

We really are welcoming here but most of us start many of our posts with...."I am not a professional and this advice may not be 100% accurate" so we really don't want to mess you up more by giving you advice that you may take as golden and then skip the medical visit in favor of what someone here said.

Feel better soon....maybe just rest and ice and elevation and stretching throughout the day and especailly before and after a workout to get you warmed up well.
  • hanna1210
    hanna1210 Posts: 286 Member
    Stretch, stretch, and stretch some more! Afterward, make sure to ice and take advil if it's really painful. And just take it slow. I did C25K and I know that you want to do the weeks as they come, but you can't push something like that. If it is tendonitis (I had that, but it felt more like my ankle rather than heel) do low-impact exercises - someone mentioned elliptical, swimming, biking, and that's what I would recommend. If it's plantar's, I can't help you there 'cause I know nothing about that. Hope that helps!

And really, the best diagnosis comes from a doctor, not us.
  • sugarlovebug
    I realize you guys are not doctors.

I just wanted to see if anyone had similar experiance and what they found out.

I just want a gereal idea what it could be. that way I won't be uneducated when I go to the doctors. so when he uses his big doctor words that I can't understand, I know ahead of time what he is talking about.
  • mlek
    mlek Posts: 110
    good shoes are key! if you have not done so already get new shoes (and if you can go to a store that specializes in running etc. and have them fit you with shoes) - I think a lot of people, including myself, underestimate the importance of getting the right type / fit of shoe! Trust me it will help.

Also, stay hydrated and stretch... I not a huge fan of stretching before I run, with cold muscles, so I walk for about 5/10 minutes first then stretch, then run :smile:

happy running! :flowerforyou:
  • dragonfly1120
    dragonfly1120 Posts: 29 Member
    I had trouble with my heals a couple years ago, and off and on still. What I felt was a burning pain within my heals - especially the back with any type of pressure, and pain when I walked. It turned out to be plantar fasciitis, but I also had 2 heal spurs on each heal...one going up and one going down. Ice, good arch support in my shoes, and a splint for sleep turned me around. The biggest help was the shoes though. I got in trouble for always being barefoot. LOL can't take the country girl out of me.

Definitely see the doctor and see what he says.

Good luck!!
  • you should probably check with a dr.
This discussion has been closed.