No one in my house interested in healthy living

Options
For those of you whose family/housemates don't care about making a lifestyle change, how do you do it? One of the things I have read about bad foods, I.E. Candies or other sugary food, is don't bring them in the house. My house is filled with that stuff! And not by my choice. I understand will power is huge part of all of this, I'm just looking for some tips to make it easier. Also if you have succeeded at motivating your family to jump on board and make a lifestyle change how did you do it?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Do you. If you experience others' foods so tempting that you just take it, and that makes it hard for you to eat what you had planned, ask them to put it away so you don't see it. If your family keep offering it to you, and you don't want it, just say no thanks. If you find it difficult to say no even though you don't want to eat it, ask them kindly to stop offering.

Oh, and there are no bad food unless toxic or spoilt, and those shouldn't be tempting to begin with.
  • Cbestinme
    Cbestinme Posts: 397 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Also if you have succeeded at motivating your family to jump on board and make a lifestyle change how did you do it?

if there's an answer to this I'd love to hear it!!
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    You can only change yourself. Trying to change anyone else will only lead to frustration and hurt feelings.
  • Cbestinme
    Cbestinme Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I cook well balanced meals (typically 50% non-starchy vegetable) that taste good.

I never say - "this is low calorie food." We just cook and it happens to be good for us.

Love this!!!
  • kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I understand that it is difficult when the people in your house are not on the same page. Especially when you want to cook these healthy recipes and everyone looks at you like you are asking them to eat something poisonous. I finally just had to to say "screw it, I'm taking care of me- yall eat what you want!"

I still cook dinner for my family as I always have. Mac and cheese, pork chops, spaghetti and meatballs...I just either opt out of some of them or eat what I can with in my calorie requirements. For example, last night we had meat with white rice. I ate the meat but substituted the white rice with brown rice and quinoa for me. I stayed within my calories and the fam was happy eating their white rice. This is what I have found works for me.
  • airforceman1979
    airforceman1979 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I tell them to hide them from me and if they don't I throw it away
  • MandiMarie913
    MandiMarie913 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    After having our son I really have lost confidence from the weight gain during pregnancy. My husband is partially on board lol. It's easy to not put tempting food in our home but since I go to bed first, he stays up late and I know that's when he snacks ALOT! Idk what else I can say to him, it's something he will have to come to terms with. But I try to maintain motivation and continue my routine so that I can be a positive example
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I cook well balanced meals (typically 50% non-starchy vegetable) that taste good. My family hasn't complained. My daughter was raised eating that way, but my husband was happy to eat whatever I made and always raves about it. We host a lot of get-togethers for family and friends and our food is well-received.

I never say - "this is low calorie food." We just cook and it happens to be good for us.

This is what I do as well... I never thought of it like that. We just eat a regular meal that happens to be good and taste good. Too many people associate "healthy food" with bland and tasteless.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I cook well balanced meals (typically 50% non-starchy vegetable) that taste good. My family hasn't complained. My daughter was raised eating that way, but my husband was happy to eat whatever I made and always raves about it. We host a lot of get-togethers for family and friends and our food is well-received.

I will admit that I did find ways to make the foods I cook for my family have somewhat less of a caloric impact. Just some simple changes like a little less butter or sugar than I would've normally used. A bit less cheese on the homemade lasagna. Not enough to negatively impact the flavour of the end result, but just a few unnoticeable changes here and there. No one ever said anything. :)
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

Wow.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

I love this but can't imagine actually throwing someone else's food away.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

Oh, how nice.