Carbohydrates

Options
Which carbohydrates do you incorporate into you diet?

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't cut out anything specific, unless I don't like it.

Foods I think of as "carbs" that I include regularly are vegetables, fruit, starches (potatoes, sweet potatoes, legumes, grains/oats, I mostly like whole grain or whole food versions of these, but eat plenty of pasta too).

Other foods that sometimes get called carbs but are really mixed and as much protein and/or fat that I eat enough to have come to mind are some sorts of dairy (like greek yogurt), pizza (on occasion, but sure), ice cream.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,071 Member
    Options
    I agree with psulemon - eat the carbs. When I am in weight-loss mode I try to keep them around 150g or less a day if I'm not getting a lot of exercise. I don't eliminate anything, that makes me grumpy.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    All of them except the ones that are in beets.

Beets > cauliflower..

Cauliflower + me =

y3PWaHz.gif
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    I eat all the carbs.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    Carbs are delicious.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Yet cauliflower is my favorite vegetable. Beets are inedible and should be outlawed or only served in maximum security prison.

I have to agree with you there, I love cauliflower as long as it's baked/cooked in some way. Raw I can't stand it. But can't stand beets in any form unless maybe you pickled the crap out of them. Then I might tolerate them but wouldn't choose them over any other form of cooked cauliflower.
  • LisaVeganBHScNutrition
    Options
    I eat most, dont really restrict anything except for refined carbs like white bread etc. I make sure the majority of my carbs are whole grain /low GI.

I love cauli especially roasted or mixed into a curry.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    edited October 2016
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    All of them except the ones that are in beets.

Beets > cauliflower..

Cauliflower + me =

y3PWaHz.gif

Yet cauliflower is my favorite vegetable. Beets are inedible and should be outlawed or only served in maximum security prison.

I only like beets when they are pickled and the only recipe I actually like is my moms.

OP, I also eat a lot of fruit. Like 5-7 servings a day. I am pretty much an equal opportunity fruit eater.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I only eat 20 or so grams of carbs a day and mostly in veggies and some trace in processed meats/cheeses. I try very hard to avoid processed sugars and fruits.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Which carbohydrates do you incorporate into you diet?

I eat vegetarian pretty much 3-4 days per week and since many vegetarian protein sources are also carbohydrates, I tend to eat quite a bit...my staples (but not limited to)

Bean varieties, lentil varieties, whole oats, potato varieties, corn, quinoa, rice (brown and white), pasta varieties, gnocchi, whole grain breads, sour dough bread, lots of veg, a couple servings of fruit...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    RowdysLady wrote: »
    I only eat 20 or so grams of carbs a day and mostly in veggies and some trace in processed meats/cheeses. I try very hard to avoid processed sugars and fruits.

since there is no reason to avoid them, you can stop trying so hard...
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I eat all the carbs.

This^

I eat all carbs too. Some carbs are more filling & provide better nutrition. I try to choose those more often. I'm trying to improve my diet. Eliminating foods doesn't work for me. I've lost weight & re-gained. Only lifestyle changes this time.

Beets are yummy!
  • shannonhicks1977sh1587
    Options
    I've actually used beets to make a cake with
  • Ben_there_done_that
    Ben_there_done_that Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Beets are awesome! I tried to make a beet smoothie one time. That was decidedly not awesome, however.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I've actually used beets to make a cake with
    captbklee wrote: »
    Beets are awesome! I tried to make a beet smoothie one time. That was decidedly not awesome, however.

I've used them raw in a smoothie with chocolate protein powder and avocado (and berries and greens). Surprisingly delicious.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    All the carbs. Sorta. Most of my carbs come from vegetables, nuts, fruits, eggs and cheeses. I eat minuscule amounts of grains and added sugars because my carb limit is low.