October (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @honunui if Skip switches school now she would be ineligible to run her Senior year. The school the Coach is with is a private school, so if she goes there she cannot run for a year. The only way she could run if she switched schools would be if I moved to another school district and it was a public school. For a private school no can do. She talked to her coach at practice, he had no idea what her time even was.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @RespectTheKitty I run exclusively in the dark from mid September until Mid April, unless I'm running inside, it's really great when I'm on an empty road, turn off my headlamp and can see the bands of the Milky Way. OBTW, you're turning into a great runner, from what I've seen on STRAVA
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Got up this morning, checked the weather, saw it began with the number 6 (despite 93% humidity) and did 8 glorious miles before it got too hot out. Just hoping it cools further before my IM in 2.5 weeks as I'd like to use a wetsuit in the open water swim.

10/1 - 5 miles (w. 5x800s @ 6:00 pace)
    10/2 - 8 miles (finished at MP)
    10/3 - 4 miles
    10/4 - 4 miles
    10/5 - 4 mile
    10/8 - 3 miles
    10/9 - 26.2 miles (3:04:57 - Chicago marathon, 7:03 pace)
    10/13 - 4 miles
    10/15 - 6 miles
    10/17 - 12 miles
    10/18 - 5 miles
    10/20 - 8 miles

Total: 89 miles
    Goal: 140 miles
    Remaining: 51 miles

2016 Race Schedule:
    Disney Marathon - Jan 6 - 3:29:09
    Gasparilla 15K - Feb 20 - 1:01:59
    Ironman 70.3 Florida - Apr 10 - 5:07:51
    Pittsburgh Marathon - May 1 - 3:08:25
    Ironman 70.3 Augusta - Sep 25 - 4:43:56
    Chicago Marathon - Oct 9 - 3:04:57
    Ironman Florida - Nov 5
    Rock 'n Roll Las Vegas 10K - Nov 13

@mobycarp - Firm believer that truffle salt is the only correct item to use on eggs.

@joanna2012B - sorry about the ALCS... Jays spring training season ticket holder here (Pirates regular season), as I'm about 2km from their stadium in Dunedin.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Help! Please :) When I got back this morning my Garmin said 0% battery but it hadn't shut off. I plugged it in and charged. Since I've synced, it shows calories burned and sent the calories over to MFP, but the activities aren't logged on Garmin Connect or MFP. Just the calories. Any idea how to fix? If I have to, I'll delete the calories on MFP and manually add the run in Garmin Connect, but I'd rather have all my real data, not just mileage and time. Aargh.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @greenolivetree maybe try syncing again? Does the run show up in the history on your Garmin? If so, then I "think" syncing again might help with that.
  • greenolivetree
    Options
    @greenolivetree maybe try syncing again? Does the run show up in the history on your Garmin? If so, then I "think" syncing again might help with that.

I've synced several times via Bluetooth. It shows in the history on my watch, but won't transfer and showed in my activities on the app or website. They basically gave me calories based on steps as an adjustment vs an actual activity. It looks like maybe when I get home I can plug in and try to manually export via USB. I'll try that after work.
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    @7lenny7 sent me the blog link because he discusses college recruiting. I skipped around to the parts I thought would be of interest to me, but he talked alot about training, using specific training plans. I loved what he said about 800-1600m training, very helpful for Skip. Thanks Lenny!

http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/learning-from-elite-runners/runnersconnect/e/why-you-need-to-do-the-workouts-you-hate-steve-picucci-46382004

Not many runners are able to have their spouses as their coaches, but as you may know, my husband and I are an exception to that rule. Today we’re talking to Steve Picucci, who is the head cross-country and track and field coach at Moorehead State University in Kentucky. He also happens to be my husband, and he coaches me as well. Steve has an innate ability to understand what each individual runner needs when it matters. This is part of what makes him such a great coach. Here are some of the topics we’ll discuss today: What high school athletes should be thinking about as they begin the college search. Why having a coach is important and what to look for when searching for one. What it’s like to be your spouse’s coach. Example of workouts that runners of all sorts can follow. Why time off is important. Steve’s favorite book, the best advice he’s ever received, and his favorite piece of running equipment in the Final Kick round. Questions Steve is asked: 4:30: Tell us a bit about your history as a runner and coach. 5:40: What made you decide to switch to coaching as a career? 7:55: Would you say that being a volunteer coach first is the best way to do it? 9:00: What does being a collegiate coach involve? 10:30: Can you explain how big the recruiting process is? 12:25: What is your advice for high school athletes looking at schools? 13:40: What is your advice for someone looking for their first running coach? 14:55: What is your favorite thing about coaching? 15:55: How important is it to have a coach? 18:10: Why do you think it works for us to be husband and wife, as well as you being my coach? 19:15: Can you share funny things about me? 20:40: What’s the most difficult part of coaching your wife? 22:30: Do you ever feel that it’s a benefit that I’m your wife? 25:10: Why do most people need the structure of a coaching program? 27:40: What’s the biggest mistake most people make when training themselves? 29:00: What should 800 or mile people focus on? 34:00: How often should people do strides and why are they important? 35:55: What are some key workouts for a 5K or 10K runner? 39:50: How can someone know what their biggest strength is? 42:15: Why does a marathon need to work on sprints and speed segments? 45:00: Would you say that everyone needs to get back to doing faster stuff? 45:50: Why is time off in between segments important? 49:00: What are some key things marathoners need to keep in mind?
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    Thanks @Ohhim ! I was just grateful to have Baseball into October again this year! I will hope for next year...we are getting closer...LOL!!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 you'll get it back again, and it will be that much sweeter when you do.
    @shanaber sorry about your knee but good news about the Achilles!
    @greenolivetree have you turned the Garmin off and on? That might reset the sync
    @skippygirlsmom I've just started listening to that podcast and have been binge listening. I really like Runners Connect because they deal in facts and science, often referencing studies in their articles. This morning I got about half way through an episode about making your own food for pre, during and post running. The guest has a cookbook out that I'll have to check out. I know Skip said she wasn't interested in collegiate running any more but thought there still might be some interest there and more info can't hurt.
    Another interesting episode was when they interviewed Steve Welle, who talked about the psychology of performing and conditioning the mind.

I'm currently sitting 15 feet up in a deer stand. Nothing yet but squirrels. I brought my running gear in case I get a chance to run tonight or tomorrow. My son seems a bit bored. Third year out and still hasn't got a deer yet. It's hard for a teen to be patient! I let him bring his phone so he can text his girlfriend and play games. Gotta make it fun for him. I think he agrees to go with me because I make sure he's well fed.
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 I have listened to most of that podcast as well, and I bought that cookbook after hearing that episode. It's good, though I have only tried two recipes so far. I'm terrible about never using cookbooks I buy.

My favourite podcast for running so far has been Serial, season one (it's not about running). I'm on the lookout for something new now. Anyone have any recommendations for a podcast they love?
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Small loop today (4.2 miles). It's weird starting out in the dark. My back is giving me a little bit of grief the past couple days, so I'm doing extra stretching. Hopefully this weekend I can get out to REI and start using my gift card. So looking forward to that.

exercise.png

I had pt yesterday. The focus is IT band and psoas right now. I noticed that as the psoas was loosened up, my mid back, oblique tightness and spasticity let up considerably. I haven't researched how I'm going to work the psoas out on my own, maybe a tennis ball. But it's amazing how much if a difference there is.

Anyhow figure it might be worth a shot to help you.

Good luck!
  • mmteixeira
    mmteixeira Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    @RunRachelleRun I like the following podcasts:

Negative Splits
    Heartland Running
    Run To The Top - with Tina Muir
    The Runner's World Show
  • mmteixeira
    mmteixeira Posts: 118 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    The guest has a cookbook out that I'll have to check out.

Is that "Rocket Fuel: Power-Packed Food for Sports and Adventure" by Matthew Kadey? That was actually a very informative episode of that podcast - bought the book immediately following it myself :)

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    mmteixeira wrote: »
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    The guest has a cookbook out that I'll have to check out.

Is that "Rocket Fuel: Power-Packed Food for Sports and Adventure" by Matthew Kadey? That was actually a very informative episode of that podcast - bought the book immediately following it myself :)

TThat's the one!

@RunRachelleRun a non-running podcast I really enjoy is 'You Are Not So Smart'. Someone here recommended it a few months back. I can't describe it well but it's kind of about human psychology and how we're easily fooled.

• greenolivetree
    Options
    @7lenny7 That was a brilliant idea! But it didn't work. Boo. Stuff like this drives me NUTS.

I follow Tina Muir's blog but I keep forgetting to catch up on the podcasts. Maybe on our trip to Mayo. Speaking of which, I just downloaded a couple random running related books to Kindle on my phone to read in the car - if it doesn't make me sick. Ha.

@elise4270 A tennis ball worked wonders on my butt last year :-D

I think I'm noticing something. Running after a rest day doesn't go well for me. Also running after a tough day (like running and strength training the same day, or running any fast intervals, or hills) doesn't go well. I often run 3 days in a row so basically run 1 and run 3 never go well. Run 2 is magic. LOL
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    Good luck on the hunt @7lenny7. Skip mentioned wanting to hunt one time and everyone laughed. She can't stop talking long enough to chew food let alone hunt. I think the college running is still in back of her brain floating around.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options

exercise.png

10/1: 13.1 Miles: 1st Half Marathon Race!! / Yoga
    10/2: 4.5 Miles (Very Slow…) / Yoga
    10/3: 3 Miles…Feeling much better 
    10/4: Body Pump and 3 more slow miles
    10/5: 3.1 mile run / 1.7 mile Social run/walk through my gym with my kiddo
    10/6: Body Pump
    10/7: Yoga and Tried out my new Foam Roller
    10/8: 14 Miles (6 with Hubby running and Kiddo bicycling)
    10/9: 5 Miles
    10/10: 3 mile trail run with the family
    10/11: 7 minutes of Core, Body Pump, 30 minutes of Stationary Bike
    10/12: 4 Mile run turned into 1.87 after a huge wipeout
    10/13: 3 Mile Walk
    10/14: 3.1 Mile Run
    10/15: 10 Mile Run. Planned to go 12, but my hamstring started acting up around Mile 5. It didn’t hurt bad, but it wasn’t normal, so decided to cut my run short. 
    10/16: 45 Minutes of Stationary Bike
    10/17: 45 Minutes (12 Miles) of Stationary Bike
    10/18: Body Pump and 30 minutes (7.5 miles) on Stationary Bike
    10/19: 60 minutes (15.6 miles) on Stationary Bike

2016 Races Completed:
    Buffalo Boogie (5K) May 7 – 23:42
    Marine Creek Trailhead Trot (5K) May 14 – 22:00
    Joe’s Run (10K) June 4 – 48:04
    Firecracker 5000 (5K) July 4 – 22:51
    XTERRA Jurassic Trail Run (15K at Night) July 16 – 1:32:05
    Clark Gardens I’m Only Half Crazy Half Marathon/5K (HM) Oct 1 – 1:48:21

Upcoming Races:
    Turkey Trot – Appleton, WI (5 Miles) Nov 24
    BMW Dallas Marathon (HM) Dec 11
    Cowtown Marathon (Full) Feb 26

Hoping to run again tonight. I'm really hoping all goes well. :wink:
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    @shanaber Hopefully you start feeling better soon too!! Yes my hamstring started bothering me during a long run, 1 week following my half marathon. At that time, it was just kind of uncomfortable, but it was feeling good on the day I wiped out. Then the hamstring started acting up on a long run this past Saturday. So, I decided to take a running break. It felt worse yesterday morning, but was feeling pretty good last night. Today, it feels pretty good, so I’m going to try a slow and easy run tonight. Also, our weather finally cooled off and our highs will only reach the low 70’s today, so hopefully all works out tonight. Anyway, I hope all works out this evening.

@skippygirlsmom What an awesome compliment for your daughter. Thanks for sharing the podcast info.

@lporter229 Hope your hamstrings start feeling better soon!!

@greenolivetree I cannot read in the car without getting car sick, but many people can without issue.

@7lenny7 Good luck with the deer hunting

@RespectTheKitty When I run before work, it's always in the dark too. Soon, running after work will be in the dark!! I think daylight savings time ends in a few weeks. I'm looking forward to the extra hour of sleep though.
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    10k today comprised of 5 min warm-up, 4k "fast", 3 minute recovery, 4k "fast" which I then rounded out to 10k as was on target to beat my best 10k time. Managed 10k (by GPS) in 1:00:35 and although now feel tired was a good run, and a great way to round out this maintenance week (tomorrow's a rest day) in which I've significantly improved my best times over 1k, 1 mile, 5k and 10k. Having said that looking forward to trying to extend my long run distance again over the weekend.

exercise.png