How often do you step on the scale?

Options

Replies

• dustedwithsugar
    dustedwithsugar Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Weekly, every Sunday morning. I used to do it daily but it started to affect my mood. I was either over confident after a whoosh or sad because scale wasn't moving fast enough or even went up. Now, oddly enough I'm more motivated to stay on track and not go over my calories. I really want to see a change each week, so I'm behaving well, especially on Friday and Saturday.
  • EternalSnow627_
    EternalSnow627_ Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Everyday
  • gboybama
    gboybama Posts: 53 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Weighing daily allowed me to track the numbers and see the direct, inevitable correlation between what I eat and what I weigh.

Before, my brain always told me that one more piece of pizza (or five more IPA's) really didn't matter all that much. Obviously, that type of magical thinking will add up over time. So, now, I have mentally linked every bad choice to its corresponding weight gain by mercilessly subjecting myself to daily weighing.

The numbers are undeniable. I have a binge weekend and my Monday is low weight from dehydration. Tuesday and Wednesday are heavier numbers because I'm rehydrated and the weekend binge has caught up with me. The next two days I fight my way back down and I'm back where I started by Friday. The decisions I make the next weekend determine whether I'm fated to repeat the same cycle or to actually make some progress. It's as predictable as clockwork. Action > reaction. I like the certainty of it all. I know what I need to do to lose weight. I only need to choose to do so.
  • BldnBlue
    BldnBlue Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every morning, but only log one time per week. (same day / time every week)
  • BeverlyMarsh1986
    BeverlyMarsh1986 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Every day, but I only log when I lost weight. Once that happens, I usually go up 1-2lbs over the next few days and then I suddenly see a loss again after 5-7 days. It motivates me, too, either way!
  • BiggDaddy58
    BiggDaddy58 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I step on the scale every morning...I log Monday mornings as my "official" weight...

Weight fluctuates..quite a bit really. I recommend weighing yourself daily (if you're trying to lose weight) It educates you on how your body responds to your diet & exercise program.

Here's my last week of weighing :

Wed Oct 12th 224.2
    Thurs Oct 13th 222.2
    Friday Oct 14th 221.4
    Sat Oct 15th 220.6
    Sund Oct 16th 223.6
    Mon Oct 17th 224.4
    Tues Oct 18th 222.2
    Wed Oct 19th 221.2
  • UnderConstructionJ
    UnderConstructionJ Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I try to only weigh myself on Sundays...but sometimes I get curious in the middle of the week. When I do weigh its first thing in the morning right after using the bathroom.
  • EcmoMom22
    EcmoMom22 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week and do measurements once a month.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Every morning and I do use a spreadsheet to track it. More importantly I use a 7 day running average to smooth out the ups and downs from day to day.. You can see your trend better and really get a picture of your progress without the frustrations. js2avytkg0z1.png
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Once every two or three weeks, and I only record the result if the weight has gone down.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I weigh in once a week; occasionally I'll do a mid-week check-in, just to see if I'm roughly on track. However, I don't think there's blanket answer for how often you should weigh. It's a matter of what the individual can handle. some people handle weighting in daily very well and understand daily fluctuations and appreciate the data, for some it's a source of unhealthy anxiety. So really, it's a matter of your own preference and what you can handle.
  • KristaCatherine87
    KristaCatherine87 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I use to weigh once a week. Now I'm into the habit of everyday. It's a habit I wish I could break because I liked the surprise that came from weighing once a week. Now I know roughly what the scale is going to say on my official weigh in day. But I like when the number is going down everyday too haha :)
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    BlastMom44 wrote: »
    I have heard so many different opinions on this and was curious to know what y'all thought. Some say that weighing in every day is a good way to keep yourself on track and others say that it can be discouraging when you're not losing any weight. I personally weigh myself every morning (out of habit) and get extra motivated when the scale isn't moving. It makes me work harder in my workouts and eat cleaner meals.

How to y'all track your weight? Daily? Weekly? Not at all?

Its personal choice but I weigh myself daily. I like the data to keep track of my progress and ups and downs don't have much of an emotional impact on me. Weighing in the morning becomes part of my routinue, doesn't take effort and I feel like if I weighed instead every week I would be less accurate in my tracking.
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Daily and unfortunately I let it get to me if it goes up. I try not to and try to understand the science behind it but I can't help getting frustrated.
  • kristi5224
    kristi5224 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I threw away my scale years ago because It makes me crazy. I can't base my self worth on a number daily. I weigh myself at work ( a hospital) and try to hold it down to twice a week. I measure my success by how well I stick to my meal plan.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day, but only actually care about and track my weight on Friday mornings.
  • slimsammyone
    slimsammyone Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I weigh in about once a month. I find it is long enough that I know I have to be obsessive or I won't see the results I want, and at the same time I am not plagued by the discouragement that comes with daily weight fluctuations.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    kristi5224 wrote: »
    I threw away my scale years ago because It makes me crazy. I can't base my self worth on a number daily. I weigh myself at work ( a hospital) and try to hold it down to twice a week. I measure my success by how well I stick to my meal plan.

I think this gets to the core of it OP. If you associate your scale weight with your self-worth perhaps its better to not measure it or to work on getting over that connection as its a bit disordered. Your scale weight is just a measure of how much mass you have, it doesnt tell you how you look, it doesn't tell you how you feel, it doesn't tell you anything that is objectively meaningful for your life other than help you establish a trend of whether or not over time your weight is generally going up or generally going down. If you view it that way then how often you weigh yourself is more about how closely you want to track that trend and has no sort of emotional impact on you at all.

I don't care how much I weigh, at all. I care how I look, I care how I feel and I believe that losing fat will help with those things. I believe fat weighs something and I believe that tracking my weight can help me determine whether or not I am losing fat. Thats it. I don't care about the number itself, no one else can "see" how much I weigh they can only see how I look and indirectly how I feel by the way I carry myself.

I do have a goal weight, 155, but only because I think that thats the weight where I will get the appearance I want. Its an indirect measure of that, might not even be true...its the appearance I care about so if I get that appearance at 165 I'll stop there, if I get it at 145 I'll keep going. I don't actually care at all how much my body presses down on the earth.

The only reason scale weight is what everyone focuses on is because it just happens to be the easiest thing to measure that is losely associated with how much fat we have and therefore losely associated with our health and appearance.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Same as every other time this has been asked, daily in the morning, logging Wi-Fi scale. I can tell you my weight on any given day for the last two years. Its data points, the more the better, just not at random times during the day.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily. I don't like weekly because what if one week I weigh myself on a low fluctuation day, and the next week it's a high fluctuation day? It may look like I gained or didn't lose any weight and that is frustrating. But if I weigh daily I can track the progress and say, OK today is higher than yesterday, but it's only been a day and I've had lower numbers overall this week.

I also tried getting rid of my scale and that didn't work, I gained all kinds of weight and was in denial.