41 year old weight lifting

Options
jarablue
jarablue Posts: 127 Member
edited October 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey guys. I went from 328 to 205 and am 6'1. I am waiting to get to my final weight of 190 before I hit the gym. I want to just look good again for my wife. I am in between a medium to large frame build. Not large but a bit bigger than medium. I would like to tone up my body. How should I go about doing this at 41 with a bit high blood pressure? My PCP told me toning up in the gym would be fine for me. I want to go at this 110%. I gave it my all losing the weight and my discipline is spot on. I just want to go at the gym with the same fervor as I have with the weight loss.

What should I do to get back to having a nice tone body? I was looking at body re-composition but I don't know a lot about it. What do you guys suggest I do? I want to keep the cardio up but also do the gym thing.

Thanks!

Replies

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the loss.

This post is a great resource: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you

My opinion is 5x5 Strong Lifts is hard to beat for a beginner.

By the way: 41 is a fine age to strength train (any age is good) but you will find older trainees lifting weights in most gyms.
  • jbpickett1
    jbpickett1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would use bodybuilding.com or tigerfitness.com as resources. Tons of articles/advice from beginner to pro plans
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Why are you waiting to hit the gym? If your goal is aesthetics, and you are new to lifting, you should be able to make some noticeable muscle growth even while losing weight.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    richln wrote: »
    Why are you waiting to hit the gym? If your goal is aesthetics, and you are new to lifting, you should be able to make some noticeable muscle growth even while losing weight.

^^Truth
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Speaking personally, I wouldn't wait to go to the gym. Having said that, though, I don't use one. I have a few weights at home (nothing more than 50#), no benches or any fancy equipment. I keep it simple, using body weight, maybe a deck of playing cards, and some running shoes. Either way is fine - gym or no gym - but you shouldn't rely on the gym to reach your goal.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Get in the gym now.
  • octopusplum
    octopusplum Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    It's never to early to start lifting! Off to the gym with you!
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I'm running three days a week and doing Strong Lifts 5x5 three days. Early on in the strong lifts but it seems to be going well. The free app starts you very light to get your form and , maybe confidence, right and increases the weight for each exercise on every return. I believe they call it progressive overload. It's starting to get harder but still doable, haven't failed at a weight yet ;-).

There is no reason to wait until you reach a certain weight. Take it from this 61year old, 41 isn't too old to start.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I wouldnt wait to lift. By lifting now you help retain muscle which is actually what you consider "toning" since you are losing weight. Losing weight without a resistance lifting program means you will lose more muscle as you drop more weight.

Stronglifts and Starting Strength are two basic programs built perfectly for strength for somebody just starting either new or again.

When I was a little older than you I used the S.L. program when I was done with cancer treatments/surgeries to build my strength back up to resume lifting again and it may be the thing for you.

Congrats on your weight loss.
  • jarablue
    jarablue Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    The reason I am waiting for another 15 pounds to drop is because of my hypertension (high blood pressure). I figure if i am going to be pushing myself, my heart would benefit from having 15 pounds less mass to have to push blood through while weight lifting. I just want the pressure off my heart and give it less struggle when I start.

Does that sound rational?
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    jarablue wrote: »
    The reason I am waiting for another 15 pounds to drop is because of my hypertension (high blood pressure). I figure if i am going to be pushing myself, my heart would benefit from having 15 pounds less mass to have to push blood through while weight lifting. I just want the pressure off my heart and give it less struggle when I start.

Sounds a bit like made up science. If your doc cleared you then I'm with the mob. Get to the gym!
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

"I want to keep the cardio up but also do the gym thing."

What cardio are you currently doing that you want to keep up? Start light, watch for proper form, your heart rate will probably be lower lifting at the start than with your cardio work. But, again, please don't just listen to me, or anyone else here, consult your doctor with your concerns and get some good advise.

Edited: Missed the part about your PCP clearing you. Seems all restraints and concerns should be alleviated. I see no reason to wait. Just take it easy as you start. you'll get the hang of it real quick.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options

The science shows that lifting actually reduces hypertension:
    http://www.precisionnutrition.com/weights-for-hbp
    http://hyper.ahajournals.org/content/35/3/838.full
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10720604

Your said your doctor already cleared you, so get thee to the gym.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Go now. Do Stronglifts 5X5 to start (download the app to track your progress at stronglifts.com). Get strong and have fun!

• serapel
    serapel Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    If you are erring on the side of caution, why don't you try swimming for a few months? It's a good resistance exercise that would help you tone up a bit while losing the weight.

Once you've lost the 15 lbs (if this is your comfort zone), begin a weight lifting program.

I have hired PT's in the past with great results.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Ditto everyone else. Start now. Stronglifts 5x5 is a good place to start, or you could pick another solid beginner free weight program.

There's a discussion of beginner to advanced programs in the Gaining Weight forum if you want to see what other people who lift like: community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you#latest

FWIW, I lift now and am 42. I don't really notice much difference other than recovery time from when I lifted at 17.

My father lifts and he's 67. He does avoid lifts that aggravate existing injuries and takes more rest days, but other than that he also follows a similar program to Stronglifts and does fine.
  • mreichard
    mreichard Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Another vote for lifting now and for StrongLifts. I started in May at 49 and I'm stronger now than when I lifted a little in high school and college.

One benefit of lifting at this age (and with 20 years of pretty serious running under my belt) -- I care more about form and listen to my body when I start to feel a twinge. I've backed off a little when I've felt a couple of incipient injuries, and so far not had to take any time off. When I was younger, I would always lift until I hurt myself and had to quit.
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I'd be doing it now! I've lost 113lbs and have exercised and lifted weights all along. 5 months ago I started SL 5x5 and I love it. Weight is coming off super slow for me (50lbs left), but it would really help you look better now if you get in there! Congrats!!

Edited to add...I'm 49.
  • robdowns1300
    robdowns1300 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I'm 56. Been doing the Stronglifts 5x5 since February. It's going great. Making surprisingly good gains in strength & appearance. Go for it!
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Go now. Do Stronglifts 5X5 to start (download the app to track your progress at stronglifts.com). Get strong and have fun!

What she said!!

Stronglifts is a great place to start. I did stronglifts after completing couch to 5k when I turned 40. My only regret was not starting sooner. Good luck and enjoy!