How to say no

Options
AnnaMustLoseWeight
AnnaMustLoseWeight Posts: 22 Member
edited October 2016 in Food and Nutrition
When it comes down to food, this is something I don't honestly know how to do. If offered food that I know is bad for me, I'll take it. It's gawd awful. For instance my sweet fiancé, he is a pizza freak, loves it and I mean who doesn't? Well last piece of pizza this morning a medium slice I tell him to go ahead and eat it (temptation is my enemy) he offers to split it, and guess what my dumbass says? Sure! We split it and now I'm beating myself up because I'm trying to lose weight... and he gets to eat whatever the hell he wants and still have abs. "You're killin' me smalls"

I need some advice, How to refrain from temptation with foods? Does once the ball gets to rolling the easier it is to say no to unhealthy foods? Any advice on how to communicate with my loved ones that they cannot offer me any bad food, none and that it is important for me to stay on track. Help?

Replies

• CranstonJ2016
    CranstonJ2016 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know the answer to this as well. I am NERVOUS for this weekend.

I'm great during the week, but weekends I feel like my hubby says "lets go out for lunch" or "want wine?" And I'm replaying in my head that this weekend I'll say No..but I'm afraid of caving.

I don't have a response, but I'll be back to this post to see what advice others have to say.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    First of all no food is "unhealthy" or "bad." Well maybe spoiled (or poisoned) food. Are there better choices? Sure. But pizza can fit into a healthy diet (sometimes).

It does get better. Don't beat yourself up. Log it and move on. It's one day. You can ask loved ones to stop making offers, but it's still up to you to just say no. Maintenance is also going to be saying no (on occasion).
  • folgers86
    folgers86 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    It helps me to see the numbers and then I can decide if I can have that treat. So if offered, I go ahead and pull out MFP on my phone and see what happens to my macros and calorie count. If I can justify it (was too deficient the day before or looking low that day) then I'll go ahead and eat it.

Nothing wrong with being "bad" once in a while though and going over! It's all part of the lifestyle adjustment we're all learning.
  • silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    You have to decide whether the joy of eating is worth staying at your present fitness level. Do you want to change or stay the same? Eventually you have to develop a plan for your eating and start saying NO to the things that arent on it. When you start seeing positive changes it makes is easier to want to keep that train rolling instead of jumping off for temporary indulgence. Honestly, you can't stop people from offering you foods, it's going to happen. Develop the inner strength to say no to offers, say no to junk in the grocery store, say no to stopping at the fast food. Is it easy? Not for most of us, but we just keep trying every day. Every day we fail, we start over.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

I'm great during the week, but weekends I feel like my hubby says "lets go out for lunch" or "want wine?" And I'm replaying in my head that this weekend I'll say No..but I'm afraid of caving.

I don't have a response, but I'll be back to this post to see what advice others have to say.

Perhaps zig-zag your calories. Have a lower calorie day (or two) during the week that allows you to "bank" some calories for the weekend.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I usually ask myself two questions:
    1) will it fit my calories for today?
    2) would I let my 10 year old eat this right now?

If the answer to either is "No" then I tell myself and whomever made the offer no. If the answer to both is "Yes" then I let myself have the treat.

Ice cream at 4pm is probably okay. Ice cream at 9pm is likely to cause trouble sleeping. One slice of pizza (or 1/2 a slice), probably yes. Four slices, probably no.
  • CranstonJ2016
    CranstonJ2016 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

Perhaps zig-zag your calories. Have a lower calorie day (or two) during the week that allows you to "bank" some calories for the weekend.

Great idea!

Although, I love food so much I usually eat my days calories lol I think I may try that in the future for sure, today I feel really full with the food I have allotted myself, so definitely something I could do in the future :)

• BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    When it comes down to food, this is something I don't honestly know how to do. If offered food that I know is bad for me, I'll take it. It's gawd awful. For instance my sweet fiancé, he is a pizza freak, loves it and I mean who doesn't? Well last piece of pizza this morning a medium slice I tell him to go ahead and eat it (temptation is my enemy) he offers to split it, and guess what my dumbass says? Sure! We split it and now I'm beating myself up because I'm trying to lose weight... and he gets to eat whatever the hell he wants and still have abs. "You're killin' me smalls"

I need some advice, How to refrain from temptation with foods? Does once the ball gets to rolling the easier it is to say no to unhealthy foods? Any advice on how to communicate with my loved ones that they cannot offer me any bad food, none and that it is important for me to stay on track. Help?

Yes, but ONLY if the "ball that gets rolling" is your realization that you have control over food and not vice versa. Once you decide that you make your own choices and that you aren't powerless then saying yes or no to what you will and won't eat becomes much easier.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    As already said, just be committed and say no. As far as others offering you food just politely explain to them that they are not doing you any favors and you want them to stop.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Drop the idea that foods are bad or unhealthy unless they are spoiled or you are allergic. Weight loss is about eating less calories not eating only certain foods.
    Do the math. Consider if you can you fit it in your goals before accepting. Log it and find out. Eat appropriate portion sizes for you. Exercise more if you want to eat more.
    I say no thanks if I don't want to use my calories on that item. I plan my food for the whole day so it is easier to say no to random food. I eat less spontaeously but I am eating stuff I like all the time. I eat foods like pizza regularly.

You are going to have to practice saying no to more food and it will get easier. It is also easier if you are eating in a sustainable way rather than overly restricting type of food or going very low calorie.

Also come to terms with other people being able to eat more and maintain or lose weight because they are younger, bigger, more active than you. They can't really eat whatever they want and not gain weight. They are just eating the right amount of calories for them. I like to be positive about being able to get by on less food. I get to buy less and get more for my money.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

Plan your weekend. You can probably predict what you will do that day and typical activities. If your husband often wants to eat out or have wine on weekends you can plan for it.
    Get to know the choices at restaurants you typically go to and find things that fit your goals. If portions are big split it with someone or take half home. Go easy on stuff like fried food, condiments, dressings, cheese, alcohol, desserts. Doesn't mean you can't have them just need to watch the calories they add. Get more vegetables.
    Save some calories for the weekend by eating a bit less during the week or plan to eat at maintenance level on the weekends.

My family eats out one meal a week. I have not had trouble finding things to fit my goals. I might have a regular burger with a side salad, vinaigrette dressing and unsweetened tea for example.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I like the "log it first" suggestion. I sometimes wish there was a "what would this do to my day?" feature on MFP when browsing the database, a pop-up or something so you don't have to add and delete.
  • grob49
    grob49 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    folgers86 wrote: »
    It helps me to see the numbers and then I can decide if I can have that treat. So if offered, I go ahead and pull out MFP on my phone and see what happens to my macros and calorie count. If I can justify it (was too deficient the day before or looking low that day) then I'll go ahead and eat it.

Nothing wrong with being "bad" once in a while though and going over! It's all part of the lifestyle adjustment we're all learning.

I do my whole day first thing in the morning. That way I know where I am at all day. It's like the old saying just say No and yes it does get easier