Why do I always screw up after 5 days

I have a pattern. I am always fully 100 percent committed for 5 days. I obviously never lose a single pound in 5 days it's too short of time for my body. But after 5 days I lose all control over my eating. I don't know why and it's so frustrating. Always the same pattern. I tell myself it's only the one day but then I feel so bloated and fat and heavy the next day that I lose all motivation for the next three. Sighs. I just don't know how to stay motivated longer. I always fall off the wagon completely and it puts be back to square one. Any advice? It's so embarrassing to admit this but I'm mad at myself now and maybe someone has something magical to say. :) No need to beat around the bush with me btw.

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    You have your calories set too low?

What are your calories set at? How tall are you and how much do you weigh?

I'm 5'9, 177 lbs, and I lose weight on 1930 calories per day. If I tried to set my calories at 1200, I'd end up like what you describe.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,319 Member
    Yeah, I would say you probably have your calories set too low or you are eating foods that are super tasty and are having trouble saying no.

The other thing is just habit, and it takes a while to get in the groove. Fall down seven times, get back up eight.
  • goodasgoldilox165
    goodasgoldilox165 Posts: 333 Member
    I agree with those above who say - don't be too severe in your calorie target. Make sure that your next attempt to start on a sustainable healthy life-style is not all about giving things up. Yes - do plan eating/shopping etc. beforehand and be sure that you will enjoy what you plan. Then do the most important thing, plan what you will be adding to your life to replace the over-eating. Being busy really helps - so long as planned good food is easily available at the times you need it.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Let me guess... your calories are set for 1200?
  • jsecret
    jsecret Posts: 606 Member
    a) your calories are likely too low. Set them up to 1/2 lb or 1 lb a week to start. b) are you starting on a monday each time? If so that can be tough when you end up starving on a Friday night. Try starting on a friday then you'll see a weight drop by the following friday and will help you through taht weekend.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    All or nothing mentality + highly restrictive eating (calories or food exclusion) = Falling off the wagon.

This^

We ALL screw up from time to time. You just have to pick yourself up & continue. Weight loss doesn't require perfection it requires perseverance.

Set a moderate weekly weight loss goal. Don't eliminate foods you enjoy......manage them.
  • DChristi77
    DChristi77 Posts: 18 Member
    edited October 2016
    Have you tried the 4 hour body? When hubby and I did it we both lost close to 20 pounds each. It's restrictive but you do the diet for 6 days then eat what you want for day 7. I didn't workout at all or follow anything else he said but I kept it off until I went back to my Mexican food. My mom was able to keep it off. Maybe you could use it as a way to get you started. Just an idea!
  • toofatnomore
    toofatnomore Posts: 206 Member
    Do day 6 and 7 fall on Saturday and Sunday? Or is it 5 days regardless?
  • kiklerr
    kiklerr Posts: 4 Member
    No will power. That's number one. Tell yourself no. It's how I stopped eating meat.
  • ArianaBlackwing
    ArianaBlackwing Posts: 11 Member
    I know that feeling very well. I have been on this pattern way too many times. It really is as everyone says the matter of motivation and healthy choices. But I also think that support is very important. And not only of your friends but also of everyone who knows about your effort :)
  • zorander6
    zorander6 Posts: 2,713 Member
    Life is about learning from failure. Instead of "oh I failed today I must quit what I'm doing" instead focus on doing better tomorrow. Allow yourself some treats and adjust your intake. If it's too low you'll want to cheat and be hungry. The end goal here is to be happy and healthy not starving and skinny.