Eating ou on a calorie budget.

Options
I am going to Olive Garden for lunch, with my mother and her "group". It's a slippery slope because I love pasta and fried things and OG has plenty to choose from. EEK!
1st tip: I am driving so I will not drink.

Replies

• cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Can you look up the menu on line and make your choice before you get to the restaurant?
  • kristi5224
    kristi5224 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    yes. and I do that. We eat out a lot. it's helpful to look at the menu and identify the big ticket items before you sit at the table. I haven't been to Olive Garden for years. I used to work there. I think they have the kcal right on the menu. Those f-ing bread-sticks!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I've gone out to eat a few times, and I always plan what I'm going to eat before I get there so I can pre-log it and make sure it fits. I got to have pasta bolognese at one place with a side salad. It was hard abstaining from the bread because I didn't have calories to spare for it (OG breadsticks would be brutal for me to refuse).

Another strategy is to order something and immediately ask the server for a to-go container so you can get any leftovers out of sight before you even eat. OG servings are quite large (at least for dinner, maybe lunch portions or smaller).

Do they still have the soup/salad/breadstick special? Maybe you could do that and the calories would work out?

I defs won't eat anywhere I don't know what I'm getting into before I go or else it would spell disaster for me (I only have 1250 per day, so calories are my precious...)
  • jmt08c
    jmt08c Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    For me it's the salt at Olive Garden that makes me do a double take. Their salad dressing has almost 600 mg in 1 serving!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    jmt08c wrote: »
    For me it's the salt at Olive Garden that makes me do a double take. Their salad dressing has almost 600 mg in 1 serving!

i don't know, doesn't seem so bad for how tasty it is.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    kristi5224 wrote: »
    yes. and I do that. We eat out a lot. it's helpful to look at the menu and identify the big ticket items before you sit at the table. I haven't been to Olive Garden for years. I used to work there. I think they have the kcal right on the menu. Those f-ing bread-sticks!

When I go someplace that puts out bread or other stuff to "snack" on I'll move it in front of someone else or put a napkin over it, Once a year I go to Red Lobster with a godson and a few other parties for his birthday (he loves their all you can eat shrimp), and I move the cheddar biscuits away from me. Out of sight, out of mind.

I long ago got over the Clean Plate Club syndrome. I'll eat slowly and enjoy something, and stop when I've had enough. That means paying attention to my sense of fullness and satisfaction rather than eating something just because it's there. When I'm done, I'll either ask for the rest to be packed or more likely just leave it.

With a planned meal out, I'll skip snacks during the day and have a light lunch to save calories for the meal. And if I go over, no big deal -- I might go easy the next day. Or not -- one meal isn't going to break anyone's weight loss program.
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Definitely plan ahead! If you love the breadsticks, plan to eat them, but maybe skip dessert then and get a lighter entree. It's about finding the balance between eating it all and depriving yourself. Pick the things that are most important and try to fit them in by eating less the rest of the day. Good luck and enjoy!
  • CaitKilla
    CaitKilla Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Work out a ton before going and don't eat much beforehand!
  • zilkah
    zilkah Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I do soup and breadsticks and get veggie soup when I go there. I also eat a light breakfast and try to stock up calories for a big meal at a restaurant
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Only eat half your meal and put the other half in a take-out box. Either avoid the bread (hard I know) or share a stick with someone.
  • Quilty60
    Quilty60 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I agree with zyxst. That way you don't feel deprived and you get to enjoy it again the next day. Usually I end up being satisfied on half a meal.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I don't eat out much but when I do, I just look up the menu and nutrition information ahead of time. If for some reason I can't do that, I just exercise a little judgement.
  • PaulaCribben
    PaulaCribben Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Definitely a good idea to look up the menu and plan ahead of time. That way, there are no surprises and you feel more in control. At least I do.
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    the chicken picatta is AHHHHMazing and the dinner portion is about 500 plus cals but the lunch portion is about 300, and is filling for me...and I eat for volume. NO bread, eat as much salad as you can stuff in your face...
  • Sherni823
    Sherni823 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Ask for a box when your meal comes out so you can put half of it away for another day. If it's already in the box, you'll probably be less tempted as it's not right there on your plate. Also maybe get a salad to eat before your entree to help fill you up so you won't want to eat the entirety of your main dish. Also remember LOTS of water.