Does anyone Use/Believe in Crystal properties?

Options

Replies

• pyro_guy7
    pyro_guy7 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Can't we all just get along?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    You can turn the light switch on and off all you want and it will do what you tell it to until....of course...it doesn't. What if the light bulb was blown?

I'll use a healing crystal to fix it! No, wait, that won't work, so I'll put a new light bulb in. And then I'll be a god, creating light where there was only darkness. :smile:
  • pyro_guy7
    pyro_guy7 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I guess that's a no
  • littlelivie771
    littlelivie771 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Lmao this discussion went so differently than I thought it would
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    fgni42b332ai.jpg
  • subcounter
    subcounter Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    The only occasion that crystals would "help" is the placebo effect. Placebo have an influence on the following research studies on the following patient groups, hence they use placebo drugs in these studies on some of the patients to have more accurate results from the main drug:
    • Depression
    • Pain
    • Sleep disorders
    • Irritable bowel syndrome
    • Menopause
    That's not to say they are a cure however: just like faith, it can have a positive impact on certain individuals on reducing stress levels etc. giving them illusion of control in a way in their lives.
    Or you might just like the look of them as a fashion accessory :smiley:
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    subcounter wrote: »
    The only occasion that crystals would "help" is the placebo effect. Placebo have an influence on the following research studies on the following patient groups, hence they use placebo drugs in these studies on some of the patients to have more accurate results from the main drug:
      [*] Depression
      [*] Pain
      [*] Sleep disorders
      [*] Irritable bowel syndrome
      [*] Menopause

That's not to say they are a cure however: just like faith, it can have a positive impact on certain individuals on reducing stress levels etc. giving them illusion of control in a way in their lives.

But where would you have to put the placebo crystals in order to treat the bolded conditions?

yum... placebo crystals.

of64nzcl7ezn.jpg
    • subcounter
      subcounter Posts: 2,382 Member
      Options

But where would you have to put the placebo crystals in order to treat the bolded conditions?

Hopefully not in a suppository way :wink: Joke aside its more about the belief than the coordinates of the items. Obviously someone can sleep better when they are feeling safe, if crystals do that for you, why not?
    • lessismoreohio
      lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
      edited October 2016
      Options
      I used to wear a Copper/magnetic bracelet and it helped reduce and eventually eliminate a wrist and elbow injury and associated pain. I've since stopped wearing the bracelet and the pain did not return :)

I don't judge people or their beliefs, so these are a serious questions for those who use Crystals -->
      1. What are the healing properties commonly associated with Crystals?
      2. Is there a specific Crystal or protocol that should be followed to enact the properties?
    • nikkigarland79
      nikkigarland79 Posts: 104 Member
      Options
      subcounter wrote: »
        [*] Depression
        [*] Pain
        [*] Sleep disorders
        [*] Irritable bowel syndrome
        [*] Menopause

It all depends on what you need at that time. You can place on the chakras associated with the need, surround yourself with them, hold them, or even just over the pain if that is what they are being used for.

And if it IS a placebo, who cares? It works for me, I don't care that no one else believes, all that matters is that I do. ALSO I know if it doesn't cure what ails me, I am off to a doc. Like everything in life you must know when to stop and bring in the big guns.

• salembambi
        salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
        Options
        salembambi wrote: »
        Orgone energy look it up

I just got a gorgeous labrodite pendant that I am finding healing also, i hope op looked up orgone that's some good *kitten*
      • thisonetimeatthegym
        thisonetimeatthegym Posts: 1,977 Member
        edited October 2016
        Options
        Jruzer wrote: »
        ninerbuff wrote: »
        It's bogus. There is NO peer reviewed clinical evidence showing that shining light through crystals, laying them on you, etc. do ANYTHING to heal or help. Pseudoscience at it's best to sell crystals to make money. They are pretty though.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
        IDEA Fitness member
        Kickboxing Certified Instructor
        Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

There was also a time when scientists believed the world was flat.

There's a really great essay by Isaac Asimov about this:
        In the early days of civilization, the general feeling was that the earth was flat. This was not because people were stupid, or because they were intent on believing silly things. They felt it was flat on the basis of sound evidence. It was not just a matter of "That's how it looks," because the earth does not look flat. It looks chaotically bumpy, with hills, valleys, ravines, cliffs, and so on.

Of course there are plains where, over limited areas, the earth's surface does look fairly flat. One of those plains is in the Tigris-Euphrates area, where the first historical civilization (one with writing) developed, that of the Sumerians.

Perhaps it was the appearance of the plain that persuaded the clever Sumerians to accept the generalization that the earth was flat; that if you somehow evened out all the elevations and depressions, you would be left with flatness. Contributing to the notion may have been the fact that stretches of water (ponds and lakes) looked pretty flat on quiet days.

Another way of looking at it is to ask what is the "curvature" of the earth's surface Over a considerable length, how much does the surface deviate (on the average) from perfect flatness. The flat-earth theory would make it seem that the surface doesn't deviate from flatness at all, that its curvature is 0 to the mile.

Nowadays, of course, we are taught that the flat-earth theory is wrong; that it is all wrong, terribly wrong, absolutely. But it isn't. The curvature of the earth is nearly 0 per mile, so that although the flat-earth theory is wrong, it happens to be nearly right. That's why the theory lasted so long.

It's a great essay about scientific truth and what it means. Read the whole thing here:
        http://chem.tufts.edu/answersinscience/relativityofwrong.htm

So another science geek? Here's something I wrote regarding holes in evolutionary theory:

44,000 generations. That's how long it took for a bacteria to naturally develop a potentially beneficial change - to digest a new nutrient.

Most mutations are not beneficial, they do not increase viability, or fitness, they do not increase fertility or mating odds and they do not increase the viability of subsequent generations.
        Particularly - and especially - if there are physical differences that can be perceived by other individuals in the group.

It took 44,000 generations for asexual reproduction to produce a potentially beneficial change.
        Sexual reproduction, while allowing for greater genetic diversity within a species, also protects against mutations that lower fitness. An example is that if the asexually reproducing parent has a detrimental mutation (as most mutations are), their generations after, being a clone of the original, would have that mutation. The next generation to develop a mutation would be less fit than the original parent, and their offspring would have two detrimental mutations, as they are simply the clone of the prior generation.

Sexually producing parents, while introducing different traits, also DECREASE their chance of passing on mutations to the subsequent generation.
        So with an exponentially slower speed of reproduction, an exponentially less likely chance to pass on mutations to subsequent generations, and with physical changes having a negative affect on sexual selection, you have an extremely slow rate of change.

44,000 generations for bacteria to do it.

Let's see what happens when we intentionally speed that process up, as in genetic engineering, which is what I studied in college, and won science fairs for in high school, competing at the national level.

Let's say you want to produce a cotton crop that is resistant to it's natural predator, the pink bullworm.
        So you genetically engineer the cotton crop to do so. In scientists' minds, the crop is a different species, because it actually contains foreign genes from a bacteria and a protein toxic to the pink bullworm. Yet this cotton crop can and has drifted and contaminated other cotton crops.

Which means speciation did not occur, even when artificially introducing genes foreign to all cotton plants.

Next, one would think this artificaially induced hardiness would be beneficial to their progeny - it is not. These hybrids are notoriously weak in the second generation, producing significantly less yields, so the seeds are not viable for a third. In other words, speciation does not occur. There is a limit.

So circling back to your comment that "it is the best explanation we have."

I would say that scientific integrity demands that we say, here is one opinion, and the evidence that supports it, here is another, and the evidence that supports it. Because we cannot fall back on, it's the best we got, so roll with it.

Because that kind of thinking led to acceptance of many erroneous scientific beliefs and practices (some of them deadly) and introduced cognitive bias in a scientific community that is advertized as being open to new ideas, and questioning accepted ones.
        If it weren't for people who pressed, and questioned, and addressed holes, and demanded a higher integrity, doctors would still be refusing to wash their hands in between handling corpses and assisting with births and surgeries, and we'd still be discussing which of the humors cause disease.
      • ninerbuff
        ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
        Options
        It's bogus. There is NO peer reviewed clinical evidence showing that shining light through crystals, laying them on you, etc. do ANYTHING to heal or help. Pseudoscience at it's best to sell crystals to make money. They are pretty though.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

There was also a time when scientists believed the world was flat.
        You're talking a time when technology wasn't available either. You don't have to believe in science. But that doesn't mean it's incorrect, especially today with much more trial and error available.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Oh is that the time I'm talking about. You're aware that technology has been around since the paleolithic period (stone tools, fire, clothing, weapons, etc). Perhaps you just meant that the technology to prove that the world was flat wasn't available...until of course it was and it was proven(ish) to be false.

So would it be plausible that the technology used to measure the effects of crystals haven't been developed yet? Or do you think we've reached a pinnacle in technology and science and there is nothing left to discover.
        Oh I'm quite sure that with the current technology we have where we can actually measure stars energy from a million light years away, is sufficient enough to tell us if crystals have any "energy" properties.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
      • ninerbuff
        ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
        Options
        I'm into it. People will think you're "crazy", or say how there isn't any evidence. But ya know what? Fck em. I hate when people care more about other people's life choices than their own. There isn't any evidence for any spirituality or religion. It's just all about faith, so believe whatever you want to believe.
        But there are instances where they can be cause for concern. People who have money, who get desperate for a cure for a health issue can easily get scammed out of life savings. It's not uncommon.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• jessiferrrb
        jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
        Options
        I'm into it. People will think you're "crazy", or say how there isn't any evidence. But ya know what? Fck em. I hate when people care more about other people's life choices than their own. There isn't any evidence for any spirituality or religion. It's just all about faith, so believe whatever you want to believe.
        But there are instances where they can be cause for concern. People who have money, who get desperate for a cure for a health issue can easily get scammed out of life savings. It's not uncommon.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

hank03.jpg

case in point. boom.