Is 1200 cals Enough for an Office Worker?

Options
Hi, just wondering what other people think of eating 1200 cals to lose some weight (10-15lbs) when you are a female, office worker who skates for 45min once a week, walks at lunch time for 25min 3-4 days a week and lifts some weights at home 1-2 times a week for about 30 min.
Im 5'9" and I think maybe 160lbs....(I don't like to really know, scales are dumb lol)

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    You can probably eat more than 1200 calories. Probably more like 1500 + exercise calories.
    You are not overweight if you are 160 lbs. If you want to lose 10-15 lbs you should set your goal to lose .5 lb a week. With MFP you are supposed to log exercise and eat a portion of the calories earned from exercise.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Hi, just wondering what other people think of eating 1200 cals to lose some weight (10-15lbs) when you are a female, office worker who skates for 45min once a week, walks at lunch time for 25min 3-4 days a week and lifts some weights at home 1-2 times a week for about 30 min.
    Im 5'9" and I think maybe 160lbs....(I don't like to really know, scales are dumb lol)

5'9" tall......1200 calories is not enough. 1200 is more appropriate for elderly and very petite women. Besides MFP gives you a calorie deficit BEFORE exercise. You should be "netting" 1200 calories..... not eating 1200 gross calories.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    You got 1200 calories when you put in your stats (height, current weight, age and activity level) in MFP..

Something sounds wrong.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options

It might not be enough. Until you log, weigh in, and track progress its just a guess.
    Get your starting weight.
    Set yourself to sedentary but understand 1200 is low for most people, especailly at 5'9.
    Log all food and workouts. Monitor hunger. Make smart choices for your calories.
    Eat back some exercise calories.

Im only 5'4 - 160 trying to lose 30lbs. I dont eat less than 1400/day. I walk about 1.5 hours every day (my 2 15's and my lunch hour)
    I get 12-16k steps M-Sat and ride the stationary bike for an hr on Saturdays. Nothing Sundays. Lifting a few days here and there.
  • Grammytryingtogetfit
    Options
    I am also a sedentary office worker, do get about 45 minutes of exercise 5 nights a week and I have had no problems losing the weight.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options

With only 10-15 pounds to lose you should set your weekly weight loss goal to 0.5 pounds per week. Losing two pounds per week is only appropriate for those who have a lot more to lose.

1200 calories is only appropriate for women who are very very short, or older AND sedentary, none of which describes you.

What are you doing about your exercise calories? MFP uses the NEAT method, and as such the system is designed for exercise calories to be eaten back. However, many consider the burns given by MFP to be inflated and only eat a percentage, such as 50%, back.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and I aim for 1,500 cal per day. I'm also about 11% body fat.
    What is your body fat at? You even don't know how much you weigh, right?
    Scales aren't dumb. Scales are tools.

Start here to estimate your body fat with a tape measure first thing in the morning:
    http://vitals.lifehacker.com/how-to-determine-the-number-of-calories-you-should-eat-1693372946

Weigh yourself right after measuring your waist; use the tools properly.

Then go here: https://legionathletics.com/macronutrient-calculator/

That will tell you what you need to plug into MFP.

Track your waist measurement and scale weight.
    Log your food consistently.

Adjust and recalculate your macros as necessary every 4 weeks, otherwise you are just guessing and hoping.
    That can be a recipe for disappointment.

Make sure you are on a good progressive resistance program and not relying on cardio or pink dumbbells to do the work for you.
    Also a recipe for disappointment because you will lose muscle mass and find it far harder to keep the weight off.
  • GuessIgottalog
    GuessIgottalog Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9, female, an office worker, get around 12,000 steps per day and lift heavy weight four days a week. I would freak out and binge on 1200 calories per day. I lose on 1930 calories per day, and maintain at ~2200 calories per day.

She who eat the most and still loses, WINS!!!

Right but you are lifting weights 4 days a week plus you are very muscular - you need the food to feed your muscle, right?
  • GuessIgottalog
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

5'9" tall......1200 calories is not enough. 1200 is more appropriate for elderly and very petite women. Besides MFP gives you a calorie deficit BEFORE exercise. You should be "netting" 1200 calories..... not eating 1200 gross calories.

Well I want to make sure I lose because sometimes I don't exercise because I am too sore or diabetes or something is screwing me up.... (Diabetes is Type 1 and controlled by the way.)
  • GuessIgottalog
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    You got 1200 calories when you put in your stats (height, current weight, age and activity level) in MFP..

Something sounds wrong.

I put that I wanted to lose 2 lbs a week and that I exercise 30min 4 days a week. It set me at 1200 cals a day to lose 1.4lbs a week....
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options

Well I want to make sure I lose because sometimes I don't exercise because I am too sore or diabetes or something is screwing me up.... (Diabetes is Type 1 and controlled by the way.)

You asked a question, you got a lot of answers, but it was not what you wanted to hear...Good luck.
  • GuessIgottalog
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

With only 10-15 pounds to lose you should set your weekly weight loss goal to 0.5 pounds per week. Losing two pounds per week is only appropriate for those who have a lot more to lose.

1200 calories is only appropriate for women who are very very short, or older AND sedentary, none of which describes you.

What are you doing about your exercise calories? MFP uses the NEAT method, and as such the system is designed for exercise calories to be eaten back. However, many consider the burns given by MFP to be inflated and only eat a percentage, such as 50%, back.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1

I do nothing about exercise calories. Im eating 1200 cals a day no matter what. I want to work my way to eating more later,,,,slowly add up but NEVER gain weight in my life again.
  • TeaBea
    edited October 2016
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

Something sounds wrong.

I put that I wanted to lose 2 lbs a week and that I exercise 30min 4 days a week. It set me at 1200 cals a day to lose 1.4lbs a week....

MFP is different from a lot of other on-line calculators. Activity level is based on your job. Then MFP expects you to log exercise (separately) and & eat a portion of those calories also. So 1200 is a starting point.

Also, 1200 is a default minimum (read as one-size-fits-all) based on "I want to lose XX pounds per week." You choose an overly aggressive goal, you get very low calories.

Pound per week goals
    75+ lbs set to lose 2 lb range
    Between 40 - 75 lbs set to lose 1.5 lb range
    Between 25-40 lbs set to lose 1 lb range
    Between 15-25 lbs set to lose 1 -.50 lb range
    Less than 15 lbs set to lose 0.5 lbs range
  • vnb_208
    vnb_208 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    I understand this im an office worker, but i also workout 6 days a week and walk a minimum 5 miles per day. So i dont consider myself sedentary.
  • GuessIgottalog
    Options
    astrampe wrote: »

You asked a question, you got a lot of answers, but it was not what you wanted to hear...Good luck.

Or maybe the comments were just what I needed to hear....lol
  • RebeccaNaegle
    RebeccaNaegle Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I am an office worker, I sit most of the day. I eat right around 1200 calories per day and I am slowly cutting weight. (Nothing drastic). I walk about 40 min a day, (nothing crazy, just 2 - 20 min casual walks). I lift weights 5x a week for about an hour each time, again nothing to where I end up sweaty, I just lift heavy. So to answer your question, yes it is enough. I am 5'4" and 120lbs. I have lost about 25lbs of fat so far, put on about 5-10lbs of muscle.
  • TeaBea
    Options
    I am an office worker, I sit most of the day. I eat right around 1200 calories per day and I am slowly cutting weight. (Nothing drastic). I walk about 40 min a day, (nothing crazy, just 2 - 20 min casual walks). I lift weights 5x a week for about an hour each time, again nothing to where I end up sweaty, I just lift heavy. So to answer your question, yes it is enough. I am 5'4" and 120lbs. I have lost about 25lbs of fat so far, put on about 5-10lbs of muscle.

You gained 5-10 pounds of lean muscle mass on 1200 calories a day? How did you measure this?

Most people eat at a smaller deficit to help minimize lean muscle loss. Because losing fat+muscle is pretty normal (unless you are obese).
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4" and 120lbs. I have lost about 25lbs of fat so far, put on about 5-10lbs of muscle.
    Huge difference between 5'4 and 120lbs and 5'9 and 160lbs. One burns calories according to height, weight etc, not because you are an office worker or cook.....