Meal replacement shakes???

Options
What brand is good?
What do you add to it?
Something that taste good plz not chalky! Something I can buy at Sam's, GNC or even Walmart!
Not crazy expensive.
Suggestions plz :)

Replies

• folgers86
    folgers86 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    A meal replacement shake is something like slim fast or special k. You're not supposed to add anything to those (make sure you serve cold) as they are complete in and of themselves. PROTIEN shakes are a different game and some people will add things like peanut butter to amp up flavor and protein. Protein shakes are not meal replacement shakes as they do not contain balanced vitamins and minerals and are usually used to up one's protein for the day. If you do go with a meal replacement shake I recommend the slim fast 20g protein version. Will definitely help keep you full longer. A little pricey though...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Why do you want a shake vs actual food? For the same calories I would just opt for a lower calorie meal. You don't add anything to a meal replacement shake...they are concocted to replace a meal, including the calories. Many of these shakes are 500 calories and up...I'd just eat food for that.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I gave up finding a meal replacement shake that tasted good, they all taste like crap!
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of tubs of Idealshape in the cabinet that I reach for occasionally when I want something quick. Those are the only palatable meal replacement shakes I've found. I've only ever been able to get them online, though. Most of them I got on sale for about $39 a tub...not sure what you are considering to be too expensive here, though. Definitely wouldn't recommend Slimfast. I did those years ago...yuck.
  • AlyssaPetsDogs
    AlyssaPetsDogs Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of tubs of Idealshape in the cabinet that I reach for occasionally when I want something quick. Those are the only palatable meal replacement shakes I've found. I've only ever been able to get them online, though. Most of them I got on sale for about $39 a tub...not sure what you are considering to be too expensive here, though. Definitely wouldn't recommend Slimfast. I did those years ago...yuck.

I second idealshape. I have one every morning for breakfast mixed with almond milk for convenience purposes (too lazy to take longer than 1 minute for breakfast). The best price I have gotten is when they have a buy 2 get 1 free special so it comes to $33 a tub. You can't buy them in a store though. You can only get them online.
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Slimfast
  • flagrantavidity
    flagrantavidity Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Soylent. Complete nutrition, $1.90 per 500 calorie meal. Unfortunately, it's only available at Soylent.com
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Soylent. Complete nutrition, $1.90 per 500 calorie meal. Unfortunately, it's only available at Soylent.com

Just wanted to mention that I've seen some varieties of Soylent sold on Amazon as well, though I'm sure it's not the entire menu or anything..
    I've never tried it mysef, though.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I just have a protein shake as a meal replacement (breakfast) some days....one scoop of isopure whey isolate in 8-10 oz of chocolate almond milk. Sometimes I mix in spinach, peanut butter, and a banana.
  • MrsQueenBee27
    MrsQueenBee27 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    folgers86 wrote: »
    A meal replacement shake is something like slim fast or special k. You're not supposed to add anything to those (make sure you serve cold) as they are complete in and of themselves. PROTIEN shakes are a different game and some people will add things like peanut butter to amp up flavor and protein. Protein shakes are not meal replacement shakes as they do not contain balanced vitamins and minerals and are usually used to up one's protein for the day. If you do go with a meal replacement shake I recommend the slim fast 20g protein version. Will definitely help keep you full longer. A little pricey though...

Thank you for the info. Right now I'm taking slim fast chocolate flavor I do enjoy the taste and I add a banana and ice to make it thicker. Just wanted to know if there's was something else out there.
  • MrsQueenBee27
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Why do you want a shake vs actual food? For the same calories I would just opt for a lower calorie meal. You don't add anything to a meal replacement shake...they are concocted to replace a meal, including the calories. Many of these shakes are 500 calories and up...I'd just eat food for that.

I want a shake instead of food because right now I feel I can control my calories better that way than if I eat. I just gives me more control for now plus I feel if I don't have to think what to eat for breakfast I don't have any cravings. Slim fast is only 200 cal with milk I make mine with water so its only 110 plus a banana.
  • MrsQueenBee27
    Options
    I gave up finding a meal replacement shake that tasted good, they all taste like crap!

Have you tried slim fast the chocolate one I really like that one, I tried vanilla did not like it way too sweet for me.
  • MrsQueenBee27
    Options

Actually I do take Slimfast I like it. 40$ yeah not what I was thinking.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Order some different flavors of MyProtein's whey and/or casein (you can get this stuff for $12-15 per kilo when they run a sale), throw in 30g of peanut butter, maybe some oats if you need the carbs, open Vitamin Code caps and dump in, add water/almond milk/moo juice, blend, meal replaced. It's one hell of a lot cheaper than premade shakes, and you get to control the macro/micro ratios.
  • fallingwave
    fallingwave Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I like FitMiss. Also, if you like coffee, Click Mocha is great.