Been painting and gained 5 pounds

Options
Ok so ive been doing my regualr exercise and stating in my calories and have also been painting my house i stepped on the scale today and it was up 5 pounds . WHat the hell!!!! MY diary is open helppppppppp!! !!! $

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    five pounds since when?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    First off, big question and serious too? How was the deep fried twinkie.. I saw these in the store and wanted to try them out? Did you deep fry it?

Anywhoo, where is your food scale?

eta: can it be your time of the month?
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Yeah is this just an overnight spike? You had a higher calorie day yesterday (which is totally fine!) but that could cause some water weight gain.

I didn't go very far back in your diary but I note you are using cups and "about"s and "1 thigh" and your bananas are always 4.2 ounces. So your counts are likely off as you're not weighing things.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary it shows on days when you exercise you're eating back most (not all) of your exercise calories. Some of the weight could be water weight retention, but some could be inaccuracies in your exercise calories. Drop it back so that if you have an 850 calorie exercise increase, try to finish the day with 425 calories left (roughly half of your exercise calories) just in case it's being over estimated. In the mean time though drink more water and see if after about 3 days any of the weight drops off.
  • chellebelle272
    chellebelle272 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Havent had the twinkie yet and its not tom im ovulating right now
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

I gain at ovulation as well.

Is the painting new? Are you going up and down a ladder? House painting is hard work! New exercise programs can cause water retention.
  • Gena575
    Gena575 Posts: 224 Member
    Options

I spike more at ovulation than TOM. The painting could also have something to do with it... just did one room this spring and omg my arms were dying. I wasn't weighing daily then but I'm positive I had muscle repair water retention going on just based on how sore I was for 3 days lol!
  • Spliner1969
    Options

Not sure I understand all of that sentence other than the ovulation part (which can certainly cause it) but there's one thing for sure, now I want a...

Hostess-Twinkies-Box-Small.jpg

• chellebelle272
    chellebelle272 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    5 pounds since sunday and yeah for 3 days its been up and down ladder ive gotten my living room and kitchen painted
  • Spliner1969
    Options
    5 pounds since sunday...

Yup water retention. NO way to gain that legitimately in a few days other than water/waste (if you're constipated).
  • Colt1835
    Colt1835 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    5 pounds since sunday...

Yup water retention. NO way to gain that legitimately in a few days other than water/waste (if you're constipated).

That's what I was thinking.
  • Fitgirllife72
    Fitgirllife72 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Gena575 wrote: »

I spike more at ovulation than TOM.

Yup this is me too. I always spike at ovulation and barely at all at TOM.

• daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options

I spike quite a bit during ovulation. Give it a few days.
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Ok so ive been doing my regualr exercise and stating in my calories and have also been painting my house i stepped on the scale today and it was up 5 pounds . WHat the hell!!!! MY diary is open helppppppppp!! !!! $

Add painting to the list of activities that will make you sore (if you aren't used to it) and feels "busy", but actually doesn't burn a whole lot of calories. It's better than sitting and probably about the same as walking, some of which you presumably would have been doing anyway. In fact, for me, some household projects like this can take away from time I would have been engaged in an activity with a larger calorie burn.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

But the twinkie is on your diary.. You logged the 220 calories for it, but because I did not see the calories for deep frying it, I wondered it you prepared it full throttle if you will?

eta: I gain water weight and bloat around ovulation. and you added in activity on top the normal things you do so this has to be water retention,, etc.

• courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Probably just the extra exercise or normal fluctuation

Or this is kinda weird but is it no VOC paint? Are you airing out the house properly? I'm extremely chemically sensitive so this caught my attention... is it possible the fumes from the fresh paint are causing an inflammatory reaction in your body? Air out the house- take a break from painting maybe- see if that helps?

• CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I'm slightly envious of you people for whom a random 5lb gain is rare enough that you are surprised. This happens to me about once a week. I still don't know whether to blame my physiology or my scales.

Trend over time is what matters, not day to day variations.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    5 pounds since sunday...

Speak for yourself, I could easily eat 3500cals over maintenance daily ;)
  • Spliner1969
    Options
    5 pounds since sunday...

Speak for yourself, I could easily eat 3500cals over maintenance daily ;)

True, I could if I tried with high fat or sugary foods. But 3500 calories in one day does not 5 lbs make, at least not real weight gain. The body would probably retain water to help with digestion, and there would be substantial waste lol, but a day or two later, as long as you reigned it in to normal maintenance or slightly below that weight would drop off. At least it would for me. ;) The OP's recent diary doesn't indicate (that I saw anyway) a 3500 calorie surplus daily for 5 days. Unless of course there are things that aren't logged. I'd rather say that painting is hard work, and it's likely water retention, at least part of it.