Has anyone tried raw apple cider vinegar?

Options
I just started trying today 2 tablespoons to a glass of water. I've heard there are good benefits for type 2 diabetes. Which I have as well as acid reflux and weight loss! Has anyone has any experience with this?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    It doesn't do anything for weight loss. I personally do think it helps with digestion...but pretty much everything else that is proclomated in RE to ACV is based on very little actual study...and what studies have been done are pretty mixed.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I just started trying today 2 tablespoons to a glass of water. I've heard there are good benefits for type 2 diabetes. Which I have as well as acid reflux and weight loss! Has anyone has any experience with this?

There is a looooonnnggg laundry list of what this stuff supposedly does. The weight loss nonsense has been around since the 1970's. Acid reflux....some people swear by it and for others ACV just makes it worse.
  • lloydhigginbotham
    lloydhigginbotham Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking 2 table spoons mixed with 2 table spoons of lemon juice every morning then chasing it with water for over a year now. Supposedly it helps to balance the bodies PH levels which is where all the benefits come from. I have personally found from my experience that it does help with digestion at the least. As for weight loss it may cause an acute thermogenic effect but I don't think its enough to factor in for weight loss. If I were to give anyone advice on it Id say try it for a few months, pay attention to your body and decide from there if it is beneficial to you or not. Everyone is different
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    No help for weight loss, but for me it is the best remedy for acid reflux out there....
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    It doesn't do anything for weight loss, but works very nicely in salad dressings. I'm personally a fan of using straight vinegar on salads, too.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I tried to use it for acid reflux and had the worst reflux I've ever experienced. That being said, I was trying to quit Prilosec cold turkey by substituting ACV in water and was having rebound acid reflux. @astrampe did you ever use OTC meds for reflux or just go straight to the ACV? I am now weaning myself off the meds slowly and because I have lost a lot of weight I'm optimistic I will have success this time. I agree with dragon_girl26, vinegar is great on salads.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options

Baking soda for acid reflux.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Raw? Does one normally cook or pasturize acetic acid?
  • oceandaisies
    oceandaisies Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I use raw organic ACV in my water, maybe a 1/4 tsp in my glass often. As I get bored of drinking plain water and prefer to use local foods (and lemons don't grow here). It's definitely an acquired taste. I haven't noticed any weight loss benefits or reflux benefits.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Yes. It is vile. But it does work nicely as a mild diuretic.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I love it!
  • tiny_clanger
    tiny_clanger Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I like it, but it aggravates my reflux something terrible. It seems to almost corrode my vocal chords, after a shot of ACV, my voice is gone for hours afterwards.
  • Quilty60
    Quilty60 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    For acid reflux I use vanilla yogurt, one ripe banana, a little fresh ginger. Blend up into a smoothie. Works every time.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Supposedly it helps to balance the bodies PH levels which is where all the benefits come from.

No, it doesn't.
    Everyone is different

Not when it comes to the range of pH compatible with life and how your body is able to control it.
  • shepherdbrooks
    shepherdbrooks Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    No idea about the weight loss but there are many experts that do tout it as a remedy to acid reflux. There is a muscle at the top of the stomach before the esophagus that is supposed to close once stomach acid reaches a certain point to start digestion. But if the stomach acid is too low that muscle never closes the door and acid can work its way up. So, adding acid to your meal or diet can keep acid reflux away.
  • RJH91685
    RJH91685 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started taking it years ago because it's supposed to help with kidney stones (i get a lot of them). Didn't notice much else. It's probably the healthiest alternative to salad dressing out there though. A shot of it will definitely make you forget you were hungry, as well. because it will burn your stomach a bit. Those are just my experiences with it. Probably different for other people.
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Yes. It is vile. But it does work nicely as a mild diuretic.

Yes makes me pee
  • bec9955
    bec9955 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm currently making some - it tastes like cider at the moment!!!
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    The enzymatic activity of it helps my digestion some, and other people take it for acid reflux. It doesn't do anything for weight loss, though.

As for bodily PH, I've always been kind of skeptical of ACV. It's comprised of acetic acid, which I think would acidity your body. Apparently, it's supposed to be alkaline-forming, which I don't really understand, since I would think that you body would pull on mineral reserves o buffer it in the same way that it would if you drank a soda with citric acid in it. To me, drinking alkaline water makes more sense for that.