What is it with 50+ y/o men & white sneakers?

Options
There are a lot of us 50+ guys where I work and almost all of them ( but not me) wear either white New Balance or Nike's. What is up with that? Did I miss out on some memo when I turned 50? Can anyone explain this phenomenon?

Replies

• ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    My dad is 62 and has worn the same style of white Reebok walking shoes for as long as I can remember.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    1987 22 YO listens to Run D.M.C. "It's Tricky" thinks - White sneakers... cool.
    2016 Same guy, now 51, thinks "What's cool? Run D.M.C. were cool. I'm going to get me some white sneakers!"
  • PowerMan40
    PowerMan40 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Because their wives by the shoes for them at Sams Club or Costco, in the bargen bin, all they have is white mew balance, or nikes
  • BiggDaddy58
    BiggDaddy58 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I am 58..I have 3 pair..one white..one black..and one black/blue (for those really punishing walks)
  • Ben_there_done_that
    Ben_there_done_that Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    That's hilarious because it's true. To complete the uniform, they always tuck their shirt into their jeans.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Pfft.. I'm over fitty and I wear blue, red, black, orange and yellow trainers.
    Nike, Reebok, Mizuno, saucony, asics and PI.

The other day at the gym I was wearing a pair of Nike frees in black and yellow.

This guy walks up and while pointing at my shoes said : those are bad *kitten*.

White shoes? Only dedicated running or cycling shoes and a pair of awesome white leather Vans.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Next up... a pair of UA training shoes in bright blue and black
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    I'm just 36 and all my sneakers are white (with a little bit of blue highlights). It's what I like. If "you're old and boring" is the biggest fashion statement they make, I'm totally cool with that.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,711 Member
    Options
    My dad is almost 70 and he only wears black sneakers. Unfortunately, he insists on pairing them with white knee-high socks and shorts.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    My dad is 50 and he either wears work boots or black runners possibly dress shoes on occasion lol my moms bf is in his 50s and I have never paid attention to his shoes but I'll look next time
  • Briantime
    Briantime Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Same reason you don't see 50 year old guys wearing the current suit fashion where it looks like you stole your little brother's suit. Comfort comes 1st :-)
  • Red_Pill
    Red_Pill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Most men don't put too much effort into the way they dress and don't care so they let their wives dress them. And women are awful.

Really? Where you from?