This time I am serious!

Options
Same ol' story. I have dieted and lost only to give in to temptation and gain it all back again. I am 5'8" and 254lbs oh and 41 years old...... I must make this happen. I have two daughters ages 13 and 9. I want to live a long healthy life with them. I will do it! I must do it! I can do it!

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Stop dieting! Just eat food but a little less than what you are doing now. Do this day in and day out!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10257474/starting-out-restarting-basics-inside/p1

You can do this!
  • Ms1Foxx
    Ms1Foxx Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My thoughts exactly!!
  • ArianaBlackwing
    ArianaBlackwing Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I wish you the best luck! You can do it :) Think of every positive consequence you will get from this and it will continue to drive you forward :)
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I was 39 yrs old, 259 lbs and 5'7" and was a size 26 and felt the same as you. That was 15 years ago. I stopped dieting and decided to change one or two habits at a time instead of overhauling everything at once as I previously had done. I did a lot more cooking at home instead of fast food and take out, I brought my lunch and snacks, yet I still ate nearly everything, just smaller quantities - nothing was off limits. I drank with friends (and sadly, sometimes alone) just not as often. I've had ups and downs over those 15 years, life happens and you get off track, but it's a long life ahead of you and you need to decide not to throw in the towel because of a bad meal, or day or month. Start right now by planning a meal, a workout or one simple change. Even if it's just tracking what you're eating, replacing liquid calories with water or adding a vegetable to each meal. You can do it! And no, it doesn't magically happen, it's hard work. But worth it!

Good luck!
  • shepherdbrooks
    shepherdbrooks Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am starting out myself to loose some weight. The thing I learned was to read labels. Stay away from excessive sugar, artificial sweeteners, High fructose corn syrup, and MSG. And like everyone else has said portion control. Best of luck and we are all rooting for you.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    What are you going to do differently this time to lose the weight and keep it off?

Think about it.
    If you don't know then it's not going to happen.

It's not about sheer will, it's about having and effective strategy and following through.

You have the drive, now come up with a plan for weight loss AND maintenance, the do it :)
  • Red_Pill
    Red_Pill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Don't go into this thinking it's a war. It doesn't have to be. Eat smaller portions of food you like and move some more.
  • SoCalSally627
    SoCalSally627 Posts: 2 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    You and I are pretty close in our age, height and weight - I'm 45 years old, 5'7 and about 260. I'm in a foot cast right now and haven't been able to put any weight on it for 2 months but am SOOO ready to get it off soon so I can cook the right foods for me and try to start exercising (right now my husband is "cooking and cleaning" which is torture -but bless his heart for taking care of me, hahaha).

I wish you the best of luck girlfriend, I know it is a common thing to fall and then get back on the wagon, that is my story too, but it is worth it. And I really like some of the others' comments about making sure we have a plan, and not expecting sheer willpower to get us through. But to also take baby steps and enjoy taking pride in ourselves to the point that we WANT to choose something healthier to eat and we WANT to eat more slowly and stop when we're satiated (not uncomfortably stuffed). And we would rather take up a hobby or go for a walk than to snack or look forward to the next mealtime as if that is the only thing we turn to for fun in the day. Okay, I'm totally rambling - I'll be rooting for you and would love to add you as a friend so I can track your progress and be motivated by you!

Sally