What is it with 50+ y/o men & white sneakers?

Options

Replies

• PhoenixWithoutAshes1
    Options
    km8907 wrote: »
    Cheap and supportive, like a good bra should be.

Guess I hit a nerve here, but this was my favorite response.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I think its because back in the day, white was the only color available.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options

Only all white New Balance or Nike Trainers?

..... let's beat up the hillbillies.
  • Red_Pill
    Red_Pill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Red_Pill wrote: »
    Most men don't put too much effort into the way they dress and don't care so they let their wives dress them. And women are awful.

Really? Where you from?

Reality

You mean your reality. Sounds bummy to me.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Sneakers are supposed to be white. Only people from Europe and the U.K. wear multicolored sneakers and they have no right to dictate sneaker fashion since we invented them and decided early on that they're supposed to be white.

The plimsoll shoe was a British shoe first mass around 1870 for the British Army. This was then taken up by sports people (notably tennis players). Around 1895 Foster And Sons (based in Bolton, North Manchester. UK) designed and produced the first specific running shoes for the British 1924 Olympic running team.

Both were designed and made in the UK. Both were white.

The U.S. Rubber company made the first mass produced sneakers (Known as the Ked sneakers) in the U.S. around 1915 but they were black.
  • neiljhk
    neiljhk Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    1987 22 YO listens to Run D.M.C. "It's Tricky" thinks - White sneakers... cool.
    2016 Same guy, now 51, thinks "What's cool? Run D.M.C. were cool. I'm going to get me some white sneakers!"

Duh. Of course. Adidas Superstar II - aka shelltoes (now down to a pair of white with gold stripes and a pair of block pink Pharrell Williams edition) and Puma Suede Classics (yellow, red and green pairs) for me. Had to show the vid of Run DMC (feat. Aerosmith) - Walk This Way, to my teenaged daughter for her to understand just what a cool dad she has.
  • neiljhk
    neiljhk Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    My dad is almost 70 and he only wears black sneakers. Unfortunately, he insists on pairing them with white knee-high socks and shorts.

Well your Dad sounds seriously cool.
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    Wear whats comfortable for you.
    Right now I am wearing a pair of New Balance 860v6 (men). Have not owned a pair of 'white' shoes in about 30 something years.
    m860bw6_nb_14_i?$dw_temp_default_gallery$
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    I'll be 48 in less than a month, but I guess I'm ready for 50.
    imb]
  • jvcjim
    jvcjim Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    i never wear white after labor day. shoes, boots and sneakers are all brown, black or tan, except for one pair of work boots that are "oxblood" i have not had white shoes since the early '80s ... 2 pairs of "'kangaROOS" one low and one hightop both in white
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    What's "wrong" w/white sneakers?

I'm 66. I've got:

1 pair of white VS lifting shoes w/black stripes,

1 pair of white UA running shoes w/red soles and black trim,

1 pair of white UA football/soccer hightop cleats w/a black textured "star" pattern,

1 pair of black Chuck Taylor Converse All Stars,

and 1 pair of black Shimano clipless bike shoes w/green trim.

So what? [Shrug]
  • Grey_1
    Grey_1 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Timberland Pro steeltoes>white sneakers

They're really comfortable lol.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    jnichel wrote: »
    imb]

Oh.....

No.

Really; No. (Sorry)

Bright Side.... more women for the rest of us, I suppose.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    neiljhk wrote: »
    1987 22 YO listens to Run D.M.C. "It's Tricky" thinks - White sneakers... cool.
    2016 Same guy, now 51, thinks "What's cool? Run D.M.C. were cool. I'm going to get me some white sneakers!"

Duh. Of course. Adidas Superstar II - aka shelltoes (now down to a pair of white with gold stripes and a pair of block pink Pharrell Williams edition) and Puma Suede Classics (yellow, red and green pairs) for me. Had to show the vid of Run DMC (feat. Aerosmith) - Walk This Way, to my teenaged daughter for her to understand just what a cool dad she has.

Re5pext.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    jnichel wrote: »
    imb]

Oh.....

No.

Really; No. (Sorry)

Bright Side.... more women for the rest of us, I suppose.

What? They look okay to me. I'm thinking a seventies ABC After School Special starring Rex Smith entitled Sooner or Later. I think he was wearing those during rehearsals for his rock and roll gigs at the L.A. shopping malls and during sweaty work outs on the tennis court. The girls thought they looked really good.

ahhpvqd2fk83.png

Well now..... I reckon that I stand corrected.

Who am I to compete with Rex Smith?

.... or his hair?
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    Be the "hip" 50 year old and wear these: 1bc3440125d3f891db7b58b52e9a9c1b.png
  • almss1
    almss1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hahahaha you see what you did??!! Now I have to go outside and pay attention on men sneakers 50+