Keto saved me!

1235»

Replies

• Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    "I want to try Keto..can anybody help me? Then a bunch of posts about it's awesome, it's science. it's great etc etc etc."

You have to admit this is pretty hilarious. No one who eats a ketogenic diet is allowed to leave these forums without being sure to get the CICO-fad-diet-nothing-magical-just-eat-at-a-deficit-don't-be-ignorant-lazy-stupid-I'm-telling-you-this-for-your-own-good-science spiel.

Not even in a success thread like this one.

Why Alabaster, that is quite a dramatic sweeping generalization. ;)

The point is that weight loss does not boil down to diet type, keto or non-keto, it comes down to a calorie deficit. How you get that deficit is 100% individual.

I agree with you completely! I also agree that individuals should be able to feel successful if they used keto or Weight Watchers or CICO or were never actually overweight and just always kinda sorta healthy-ish. I appreciate what you're saying, but there's also a big long rant about how people who use keto or other things are not "tapping into their own mind."

BiggDaddy- No one is taking away your accomplishments by eating keto, so you really need to stop taking away other people's accomplishments away because they followed a diet plan. My brother in law lost 100 pounds following keto. My grandfather used CICO with diabetes, like you, and is incredibly healthy now. Both are very happy. The diet industry is a huge money-making industry, yes. Last I checked, not too many folks need to pay for the resources online about keto or paleo or vegetarianism or veganism? There's VERY LITTLE valid research on nutrition. It contradicts itself constantly. This is all true. The food pyramid is a lie brought to you by corporations and lobbyists who paid the FDA. We know very little about food in a backed-up-by-multiple-researchers way. People are figuring out what works for them. This is all okay! And, seriously, there are plenty of people on MFP using Weight Watchers. Don't be rude and knock them. It diminishes real progress that ultimately is making that person healthier and is pushing that person into thinking about their wellness. As for the psychology part, your psychology to CHOOSE as an INDIVIDUAL to do CICO is great... but I actually think you agreed with me in saying that people go with community-based weight loss things because it helps them. It sounds like you just didn't need that and think no one else should need that, too.

EDIT: Reread my response and cut out a sentence about using MFP for community, using MFP does not meal you necessarily want the community aspect

To point out, CICO isn't a diet. It's an energy balance equation. CO = Basal Metabolic Rate + non exercise activity thermogenesis + thermal effect of food + thermal effect of activity. All diets use CICO. Just like all metabolic ward studies measure EE. Unfortunately, it complicated to figure out what an actual EE is in real life because you need to be consistent, measure accuracy (statistically difficult) and have a feedback look to adjust for average real lift conditions.

What about trying to speak English instead of using acronyms?
    I'll disregard the snark and humor you:

CICO = Calories In, Calories Out. Intake vs. expenditure.

EE = Energy Expenditure (that would be the "CO" side of CICO).

HTH.
    (That's an acronym for "Hope That Helps")

Thanks for your "help", but I think you missed the point.
    Let's use a message posted upthread, as an example:
    'I eat lots of carbs/protein/fat... it is not cutting carbs or fat etc.. it is CICO. The reason these diets work for people is CICO but the reason they can stick with them is because they feel satisfied and not deprived"
    And let's try to rephrase it:
    I eat lots of carbs/protein/fat... it is not cutting carbs or fat etc.. it is [creating a calorie deficit]. The reason these diets work for people is [because they create a calorie deficit] but the reason they can stick with them is because they feel satisfied and not deprived
    Just few seconds more to type it, but much more understandable, isn't it?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    "I want to try Keto..can anybody help me? Then a bunch of posts about it's awesome, it's science. it's great etc etc etc."

You have to admit this is pretty hilarious. No one who eats a ketogenic diet is allowed to leave these forums without being sure to get the CICO-fad-diet-nothing-magical-just-eat-at-a-deficit-don't-be-ignorant-lazy-stupid-I'm-telling-you-this-for-your-own-good-science spiel.

Not even in a success thread like this one.

Why Alabaster, that is quite a dramatic sweeping generalization. ;)

The point is that weight loss does not boil down to diet type, keto or non-keto, it comes down to a calorie deficit. How you get that deficit is 100% individual.

I agree with you completely! I also agree that individuals should be able to feel successful if they used keto or Weight Watchers or CICO or were never actually overweight and just always kinda sorta healthy-ish. I appreciate what you're saying, but there's also a big long rant about how people who use keto or other things are not "tapping into their own mind."

BiggDaddy- No one is taking away your accomplishments by eating keto, so you really need to stop taking away other people's accomplishments away because they followed a diet plan. My brother in law lost 100 pounds following keto. My grandfather used CICO with diabetes, like you, and is incredibly healthy now. Both are very happy. The diet industry is a huge money-making industry, yes. Last I checked, not too many folks need to pay for the resources online about keto or paleo or vegetarianism or veganism? There's VERY LITTLE valid research on nutrition. It contradicts itself constantly. This is all true. The food pyramid is a lie brought to you by corporations and lobbyists who paid the FDA. We know very little about food in a backed-up-by-multiple-researchers way. People are figuring out what works for them. This is all okay! And, seriously, there are plenty of people on MFP using Weight Watchers. Don't be rude and knock them. It diminishes real progress that ultimately is making that person healthier and is pushing that person into thinking about their wellness. As for the psychology part, your psychology to CHOOSE as an INDIVIDUAL to do CICO is great... but I actually think you agreed with me in saying that people go with community-based weight loss things because it helps them. It sounds like you just didn't need that and think no one else should need that, too.

EDIT: Reread my response and cut out a sentence about using MFP for community, using MFP does not meal you necessarily want the community aspect

To point out, CICO isn't a diet. It's an energy balance equation. CO = Basal Metabolic Rate + non exercise activity thermogenesis + thermal effect of food + thermal effect of activity. All diets use CICO. Just like all metabolic ward studies measure EE. Unfortunately, it complicated to figure out what an actual EE is in real life because you need to be consistent, measure accuracy (statistically difficult) and have a feedback look to adjust for average real lift conditions.

What about trying to speak English instead of using acronyms?
    I'll disregard the snark and humor you:

CICO = Calories In, Calories Out. Intake vs. expenditure.

EE = Energy Expenditure (that would be the "CO" side of CICO).

HTH.
    (That's an acronym for "Hope That Helps")

Thanks for your "help", but I think you missed the point.
    Let's use a message posted upthread, as an example:
    'I eat lots of carbs/protein/fat... it is not cutting carbs or fat etc.. it is CICO. The reason these diets work for people is CICO but the reason they can stick with them is because they feel satisfied and not deprived"
    And let's try to rephrase it:
    I eat lots of carbs/protein/fat... it is not cutting carbs or fat etc.. it is [creating a calorie deficit]. The reason these diets work for people is [because they create a calorie deficit] but the reason they can stick with them is because they feel satisfied and not deprived
    Just few seconds more to type it, but much more understandable, isn't it?

No it was not more helpful. And considering I was responding to someone who used the reference, I would expect they would have a little understanding of what it meant. But thank you for the suggestion. I will make sure to consider it for my future posting.
  • Keelahopkin
    Keelahopkin Posts: 15 Member
    Was like eating pumpkin pie!!

If you mix ricotta cheese, allspice, cinnamon, and a little sweetener (like Splenda or swerve) it tastes like pumpkin and even has a similar texture!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!