Sounds ridiculous but...body lotion causes weight gain? what.

Options

Replies

• DeviatedNorm
    DeviatedNorm Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Slather enough of it on and you might gain an ounce or two.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Maybe if you drink it.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I know it's such a ridiculous topic, but honestly, I saw a couple articles saying that body lotion has chemicals that can actually cause weight gain. I really don't want to believe it, and I completely hope it's FALSE, because I'm a regular user of body lotion and I don't want that to sabotage my weight loss progress! What do you think? Are these articles to be believed? Some of them even stated that 'plastic water bottles' cause weight gain because of BPA. Sounds ridiculous too, but who knows. What's your take on it?

Not sure if links are allowed here, if not, please let me know and I will remove it immediately. But, here is an example of a site that says it. http://bodyunburdened.com/is-your-body-lotion-making-you-fat/

For goodness sake, you go to the website and the first thing you see is her free guide to detoxing. I'm sure somewhere in that free guide and at her website are offers you need to pay for.

As for lotion making you gain weight--only if it has calories and you eat it.

Unless you have a medical condition that need immediate attention, the only thing that causes weight gain is eating a surplus of food.
  • SLLRunner
    edited October 2016
    Options
    all i can guess is they mean products with parabens which elevate estrogen and cause weight gain... even in men. So.. lots of people are against them..also i think some say they cause cancer. Lots of arguments against the claim.. some for it... parabens are in a majority of cosmetics and creams.

Nah....websites, such as that in the OP, are all about self promotion.

Everything causes cancer at one time or another, until the powers-to-be decide they don't.
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    So, should we start sending lotion with food relief shipments to areas of starvation? Maybe send them all some BPA bottles to drink water out of so they can fatten up.

Don't forget the Aspartame - totally causes weight gain!
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Options

Maybe if you drink it.

keto?
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Obviously a stupid article filled with broscience and propaganda, but there is something I've wondered, if you use coconut oil for moisturizer, is there any way any of this gets absorbed into the body and digested? Probably a really dumb question..
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Obviously a stupid article filled with broscience and propaganda, but there is something I've wondered, if you use coconut oil for moisturizer, is there any way any of this gets absorbed into the body and digested? Probably a really dumb question..

Yes.. I have been getting fat from this and cocoa butter since I was teen.. ;) NOT
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    No. You can absorb sugars through mucous membranes (such as the inside of your mouth) but not through your skin, and fats can't even be absorbed from there, they need to reach the stomach to get into the bloodstream.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Well if you eat so much body lotion that you go over maintenance, then I guess...
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Drs. Oz and Mercola should lose their medical licenses for the quackery they promote. Obesogens, my *kitten*.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Sloth2016 wrote: »
    So, should we start sending lotion with food relief shipments to areas of starvation? Maybe send them all some BPA bottles to drink water out of so they can fatten up.

Aspartame in lotion applied after 6.

We. Are. Screwed!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I stopped reading at Dr. Oz. It's false. He features crap like that and then gets kickbacks from companies that sell magical products that were featured on his shows. A study of his shows has shown that less than half of his information is true and he has openly admitted to sharing things he knows are not supported by science.
    Yep. When people look to him on authority and proof of an issue, then you know it's pretty stupid stuff.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Should I give out trial sizes of body lotion instead of candy for Halloween? Dual purpose, get soft skin and gain weight without digestion..
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Should I give out trial sizes of body lotion instead of candy for Halloween? Dual purpose, get soft skin and gain weight without digestion..

Bonus: No chance of tooth decay either. :)
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Sloth2016 wrote: »

Aspartame in lotion applied after 6.

We. Are. Screwed!

Come on, guys.....you are forgetting that diet coke also causes weight gain. So does stevia, splenda, and, believe it or not, water. Carbonated water especially.