Planning a chicken breast and vegetables nightly dinner plan! Ideas on the 'best' vegetables?

Options
Hello. :) I am planning to eat only grilled chicken breast and steamed vegetables for dinner, starting soon. I don't know how long I'll do this, but I'll probably do it until I get to certain weight loss results.

I just need some ideas on what the best vegetables are to incorporate into my diet meal plan! Broccoli is a definite one. I think carrots are great too. I personally love mushrooms, but not sure if they're 'safe' or 'healthy' for someone trying to lose weight, what do you think?

I'd appreciate all your suggestions! What vegetables do you think are healthiest and best for aiding someone's weight loss journey.

Replies

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    No one ever got fat from eating vegetables. Eat the ones you like.

Personally, I'd be bored at hell. The best thing I ever did for my weight loss efforts was to make my food enjoyable, sustainable and something I could stick with long term.

^^This a thousand times^^

• DeviatedNorm
    DeviatedNorm Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    The best vegetables are those in season! Or at least, I tend to think they taste the best.
  • U2R2
    U2R2 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower is good.

I sometimes sprinkle on a few grams of grated parmesan to change up the flavor and add a tad more protein.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Ones you like ...personally I like things like chicken cacciatore over mixed leaves (mine has tomatoes onion zucchini and red pepper in it), chicken breast smeared in pesto and dry fried with butternut squash roasted chips, full roast dinner with roast potatoes, carrots, cabbage and cauliflower cheese..chicken fajitas, Chinese chicken stir fry it all depends on how many calories and how much time you have

See www.skinnytaste.com for chicken recipes

But your concept sounds weird unless you really love vegetables and chicken

Just focus on your calories ..

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    This sounds misguided - I hope it's just a lack of knowledge and that you don't have some kind of eating disorder?

You can eat anything you like and lose weight as long as you stick to an appropriate amount of calories. MFP should have given you that number at startup.

Variety is very important for good nutrition, because different foods provide nutrients in different amounts. No foods are more "healthy", and we need a good mix every day. You will also get bored from eating a boring diet, and you can't risk to get bored if you want to lose weight. No foods "aid weight loss". You want to be looking for foods that don't trigger overeating. But you must also eat enough, and MFP's calorie goal is the goal to hit, every day.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    No one ever got fat from eating vegetables. Eat the ones you like.

Personally, I'd be bored at hell. The best thing I ever did for my weight loss efforts was to make my food enjoyable, sustainable and something I could stick with long term.

This. At the least find a bunch of different things to do with the chicken, but there's no reason to limit yourself to one meat option. Lots of lean meats (or meat that are easy to fit in, even if a bit less lean -- at the least have some other parts of the chicken!)

As for vegetables, get a variety, I think eating a bunch of different ones is probably healthier than just a few, and also more interesting. If you haven't tried that many, use it as an excuse to try more. I always have at least two kinds of veg with a meal, often more. Take advantage of seasons too -- not much in the winter, but right now all kinds of root veg, cabbage, maybe brussels sprouts, various kinds of greens, and all the winter squash. I don't consider potatoes a veg (it is, but culinarily and nutritionally it's really the starch course), but they and sweet potatoes (both kinds of tubers) are good this time of year too.

Assuming you are in the northern hemisphere, which could be wrong, of course.

Also, as part of the variety thing I like to eat some raw, some cooked, and try different cooking methods, although roasting and sauteeing are my go tos. Saying that you are only going to eat chicken breast and steamed veg seems as though you are punishing yourself or going for a "diet" meal, and you can get the right number of calories with much more varied and tasty and interesting meals, which will be more sustainable. (Chicken breast and steamed veg might be part of that too, it can be done well.)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,901 Member
    Options
    Whatever you like ...

Some examples ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_vegetables
  • Machka9
    Options
    And you could do other things besides grilled chicken breast now and then too.

For example, I just put together a slow cooker meal which will do my husband and me for two days with chicken mince, all sorts of veggies, light coconut milk and curry spices. It turned out really well. :)
  • rubensgaspar
    rubensgaspar Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Broccoli and carrot steamed and drizzled with lemon and some tomato. will give lots of color to your plate and tastes great.
  • helenbenzie75
    helenbenzie75 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I love roasted cauliflower, roasted Brussell sprouts and butternut squash yummmmy! :-)
  • Machka9
    Options
    I love roasted cauliflower, roasted Brussell sprouts and butternut squash yummmmy! :-)

About once a month my husband picks up one of those roast chickens at the grocery store and then re-roasts it with cauliflower, pumpkin, potatoes, and several other veg.

It is his favourite meal and although I wouldn't say it is my favourite, it is pretty good. :)
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Chicken marsala to use your mushrooms. And moo goo gai pan. Chicken can be prepared in a wide variety of ways for not many added calories. If grilled is your favorite, do that a lot. But don't give up if you get bored, just get creative.
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    There are other protein options out there besides chicken. I have been able to eat very well just making sure I stayed under my calorie allotment. Last night I had seared shrimp in a tomato sauce over polenta with steamed broccoli. It was fantastic.

I don't know that any vegetables are unhealthy. If you like mushrooms, eat mushrooms.

Couple ideas for you if you insist on only eating grilled chicken. Do some kind of bruschetta topping. steamed broccoli or cauliflower. A lot of root vegetables are fantastic roasted: potatoes, beets, carrots, brussel sprouts. I love braised cabbage although I'd probably serve that with pork over chicken.

I second the suggestion about seasonal veggies.
  • jvcjim
    jvcjim Posts: 812 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    when available tender young asparagus, steamed and drizzled with hollandaise sauce, which goes well with the chicken as well.
  • NanCaudill
    NanCaudill Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    roasted chick peas, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, squash, zucchini I mean i could go on and on. I eat ALOT of chicken, but its because I love it. What I have with it changes with the seasons. Im new to this whole "eat seasonally" thing, but Im loving it and its easy to adhere to.
  • kekeke123
    kekeke123 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I disagree with such a boring and not sustainable diet plan but my fave vegetables are:

mushrooms (very low cal)
    bell pepper
    zucchini
    squashes (acorn squash is my fave)
    brussel sprouts
    green and yellow beans
    cauliflower