Chicken leg dinner ideas

Options
Hey all!

I shop based on my local flyer, this week chicken legs are on sale.

I need some healthy, tasty dinner ideas to have, with chicken legs and possible lunch ideas as well. I am NOT afraid of experimenting, as long as I dont need a huge grocery list of ingredients, and love to play with veggies..

I don't mind bringing left overs, but what are some cheap low cal lunch ideas you guys eat as well?

My issue is, i find something that works, and eat the crap out of it, then say "*kitten* it, I want a pizza"

I dont want that to happen, so please, the more ideas the better!

Replies

• CranstonJ2016
    CranstonJ2016 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Hahahahaha it changed my word to kitten lol too cute lol kitten obvi wasnt the word i was trying to use
  • tahxirez
    tahxirez Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Do you have a crockpot? you can make chicken and veggie soup (just put in whatever with chicken broth and walk away.) I make oven fried chicken which is basically: peel skin off legs, marinate in a cup of buttermilk mixed with hotsauce, dijon, worsteshire, whatever you like. mix flour with cayenne, garlic, onion powder, pepper. put in ziplock, in another ziplock crush up some cornflakes into little bits and salt. pour marinade in a bowl, flour the chicken, dip in marinade and toss in cornflakes then bake on a wire rack for like 40-45 mins. its delicious and satisfying. Other than that anything you use Chicken breast for you can use legs. I only buy thighs (often bone out) and legs because I prefer dark meat and the nutrition is too similar for me to care and Bonus they are much cheaper!!
  • CranstonJ2016
    CranstonJ2016 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    So how do I log in breaded chicken? And the buttermilk sauce?

I have such a hard time trying to figure out how much I'm consuming when its just a sauce on top or within the meal. I can't pick everything out and measure just the sauce lol or peel the breading off and measure the breading..do you count all those things? If so, how do you make a dinner for you and your family and then measure everything down to what you consume..

If any of that made sense lol

Example;
    I make this crock pot chicken meal for me and hubby, how do i measure how much sauce I'm consuming instead of logging all of it in?
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I just season them heavily with salt and pepper and bake them on 350 for an hour. Take the meat/skin off the bones once they're cooked, cut it up and combine the meat, skin and pan drippings with a green vegetable - usually sugar snap peas or green beans. Insanely flavorful and satisfying for how simple it is.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Chicken marsala!
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I'll barbecue salted and peppered chicken wings or cook them up in a skillet, then eat it with barbecued zucchinis or summer squash and a salad. For accurate logging, I weigh the chicken before I eat and then weigh the bones and skin after to find out the weight of what I ate.
  • zoritt
    zoritt Posts: 68 Member
    Options
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    3 simple dishes:

Chicken cacciatori: Brown the legs in olive oil and toss in a bottle of your favorite pasta sauce, add spices to taste, cover and braise til cooked thru and serve.

Baked "fried" chicken: Dip legs in beaten egg, dip in flour, dip again in egg wash and dip in panko or crushed corn flakes (seasoned w/salt, pepper and whatever else you like) and bake at 350 til done.

Chicken picatta: Season to taste w/salt and pepper, coat w/olive oil, brown legs in oven safe pan, place pan in 350 degree oven til done, remove pan w/a thick pot holder (and be sure to keep the pot holder on the handle!!), set aside the legs in a serving dish, pour 1 cup of dry white wine into pan to deglaze, add capers and lemon juice and add a roux of flour/butter (or just reduce) to thicken and pour over legs to serve.
  • mccraee
    mccraee Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    my all time most favorite and have it all the time....grill them w/ a bit of salt & pepper. Serve with the bottle of Franks Hot Sauce. I have a thing for chicken wings and this does the job for me.
  • Red_Pill
    Red_Pill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Chicken & roasted potatoes. Can't go wrong.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    This one is so easy and SO delicious. I actually haven't made this in a while. I might be due!

allrecipes.com/recipe/95091/chicken-with-chipotle/
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Red_Pill wrote: »
    Chicken & roasted potatoes. Can't go wrong.

I do this all the time, complete go to when I want a no-fuss dinner, which is often. Add roasted vegetables to make a full meal or change up the potatoes with sweet potatoes. Play around with dry rubs on the legs--paprika is a nice addition.

Another thing I do is slow cook a turkey leg or wing in some broth (flavored with onion, carrot, garlic, whatever) and then bring lunch with the meat (it falls apart and is really moist and tender), some rice or sweet potatoes or whatever, winter squash is also a nice switch or other root veg like parsnips, turnips, rutabaga, beats, plus vegetables). You could do this with chicken legs too.