41 year old weight lifting

Options
2»

Replies

• schenkzachary2016
    schenkzachary2016 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss. I see that your commitment level is very high. For an individual like you who's goal is body re-comp/getting toned, I would recommend a 5 day training split, training different muscle groups on each day.
    Ex.
    Day-1: chest
    Day-2: back
    Day-3: shoulders, upper traps
    Day-4: legs
    Day-5: biceps/triceps
    On days 1-4, try to include at least 3 compound movements for each muscle group. Be sure to keep an eye on total volume, you don't need to kill yourself for an hour with weights. I wouldn't do more than 120 total reps on each day, keep rest periods in between sets to less than 2 minutes.
    On each day this week I would recommend adding 30-45 mins of long, slow duration endurance training.

Performing resistance and endurance training together is known as concurrent training.
    "A study by Dolezal and colleagues was done to compare the effects of body fat percentage between a strength training only group, and a concurrent training group (who did strength training plus jogging for 25-40 minutes 3 days per week) for over 10 weeks. Results reveal that the concurrent training group had a greater body fat reduction, than the strength training only group.
    From this we can conclude that the addition of 25-40 minutes of endurance training to a resistance training program caused for a greater increase in the utilization of stored body fat for energy = and a greater increase of total daily energy expenditure as a whole = which led to a greater reduction of body fat = and resulted in a more enhanced level of body composition."

You can't go wrong with the programs mentioned above, but I like this training split because a constant resistance training stimulus can help create a hormonal environment for building/maintaining muscle while still getting many of the cardiovascular benefits from endurance training.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    jarablue wrote: »
    Hey guys. I went from 328 to 205 and am 6'1. I am waiting to get to my final weight of 190 before I hit the gym. I want to just look good again for my wife. I am in between a medium to large frame build. Not large but a bit bigger than medium. I would like to tone up my body. How should I go about doing this at 41 with a bit high blood pressure? My PCP told me toning up in the gym would be fine for me. I want to go at this 110%. I gave it my all losing the weight and my discipline is spot on. I just want to go at the gym with the same fervor as I have with the weight loss.

What should I do to get back to having a nice tone body? I was looking at body re-composition but I don't know a lot about it. What do you guys suggest I do? I want to keep the cardio up but also do the gym thing.

Thanks!

You sound real similar to myself. I am 6'2" tall 47 year old with a large/medium frame, my original goal was 195/190. When I started I was 305lbs and today I am 180lbs. I can't lift most of the time, and certainly can't lift heavy (I have a bad back and bad knees), but I do body weight training. I actually did that the entire time I was dieting and it helped to get a jump start on muscle. I liked it so much I kept it up and still do it today along with my usual cardio six days a week. I never wanted to look like a body builder, I simply wanted to be a low body fat percentage and have enough muscle to look good for the wife. After 1.5 years I am around 12% body fat (actually have not checked in a while, could possible have inched a bit lower) and have lost more than my goal weight. Where I had no muscles before I have plenty, and probably have managed to reach over 60% of my goals (for muscle anyway) just with the body weight training in the last year. I can't recommend a lifting program from experience, but I tend to do lower weight with higher reps when I do lift now (and I'm working toward doing it 3x per week by the first of the year). What I practice is mostly body recomp. It's a slow process eating at maintenance or even slightly above or below it while working on strength using light weights or body weight mixed with cardio.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    richln wrote: »
    The reason I am waiting for another 15 pounds to drop is because of my hypertension (high blood pressure). I figure if i am going to be pushing myself, my heart would benefit from having 15 pounds less mass to have to push blood through while weight lifting. I just want the pressure off my heart and give it less struggle when I start.

Does that sound rational?

The science shows that lifting actually reduces hypertension:
    http://www.precisionnutrition.com/weights-for-hbp
    http://hyper.ahajournals.org/content/35/3/838.full
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10720604

Your said your doctor already cleared you, so get thee to the gym.

This...

Lifting will do wonders for your blood pressure.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    if you're concerned about health, you can always go back to your doctor once you've decided on a program. let them see what you're planning to do and get another okay or any warnings they think are appropriate.
    maybe run the valsalva manoeuvre past them, although nothing really says that you have to use it.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    A 5 day split for a beginner???? Why?????
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss. I see that your commitment level is very high. For an individual like you who's goal is body re-comp/getting toned, I would recommend a 5 day training split, training different muscle groups on each day.
    Ex.
    On days 1-4, try to include at least 3 compound movements for each muscle group. Be sure to keep an eye on total volume, you don't need to kill yourself for an hour with weights. I wouldn't do more than 120 total reps on each day, keep rest periods in between sets to less than 2 minutes.
    On each day this week I would recommend adding 30-45 mins of long, slow duration endurance training.

Performing resistance and endurance training together is known as concurrent training.
    "A study by Dolezal and colleagues was done to compare the effects of body fat percentage between a strength training only group, and a concurrent training group (who did strength training plus jogging for 25-40 minutes 3 days per week) for over 10 weeks. Results reveal that the concurrent training group had a greater body fat reduction, than the strength training only group.
    From this we can conclude that the addition of 25-40 minutes of endurance training to a resistance training program caused for a greater increase in the utilization of stored body fat for energy = and a greater increase of total daily energy expenditure as a whole = which led to a greater reduction of body fat = and resulted in a more enhanced level of body composition."

You can't go wrong with the programs mentioned above, but I like this training split because a constant resistance training stimulus can help create a hormonal environment for building/maintaining muscle while still getting many of the cardiovascular benefits from endurance training.

No, a beginner should not be on a 5 day split. A bicep/tricep day, come on. A much better alternative would be Stronglifts, programming from New Rules of Lifting (There is a New Rules of Lifting for Life book that is geared a bit more toward those a bit older, might like that) , etc. Programs that focus on compound movements.

Also as someone new to exercise, I would get a mobility screen from a professional (some trainers at the gym can do them, I'd suggest seeing an actual physical therapist) to ensure you have the mobility for the selected program. Here is a simple self check:
    http://allterrainhuman.com/self-mobility-test/

The addition of some low to moderate intensity cardio is fine.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    The reason I am waiting for another 15 pounds to drop is because of my hypertension (high blood pressure). I figure if i am going to be pushing myself, my heart would benefit from having 15 pounds less mass to have to push blood through while weight lifting. I just want the pressure off my heart and give it less struggle when I start.

Does that sound rational?

According to the Canadian Heart & Stroke folks mild hypertension is not an impediment to starting a strength program, in fact the Mayo Clinic recommends it (assuming your hypertension is not uncontrolled) As always, talk to your doctor first.

mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-pressure/expert-answers/weightlifting/faq-20058451

I'm 60 and doing the Stronglifts 5 x 5 program. I've gone from well controlled stage 1 hypertension to pre-hypertension and my doctor is talking about taking me off my meds if I keep improving. I could afford to lose more weight too but for the last couple of years my focus has been on fitness more than the number on the scale. Now my motivation for losing wight is racing performance (some of us are late starters) as i've entered a hilly triathlon for next year as my A race and a I figure the less of me there is to haul up the hills on my bike the better....

Another good reason for you to start weights now rather than later is that males start losing lean muscle mass at a rate of about 1% per year starting at age 40 and will help maintain bone density (probably more of an issue for women than men but important nonetheless) Strength training can help mitigate many of the indignities that aging heaps upon us, it's not the fountain of youth but it's the closest we have right now.

• Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    At the VERY least go to the gym to work on form, loosen up the joints, educate yourself on the equipment, talk to a personal trainer, get post weight loss calories in check
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Ex.

No, a beginner should not be on a 5 day split. A bicep/tricep day, come on. A much better alternative would be Stronglifts, programming from New Rules of Lifting (There is a New Rules of Lifting for Life book that is geared a bit more toward those a bit older, might like that) , etc. Programs that focus on compound movements.

Also as someone new to exercise, I would get a mobility screen from a professional (some trainers at the gym can do them, I'd suggest seeing an actual physical therapist) to ensure you have the mobility for the selected program. Here is a simple self check:
    http://allterrainhuman.com/self-mobility-test/

The addition of some low to moderate intensity cardio is fine.

This. A 5 day split is NOT the place for a beginner to start. One leg day a week? No. This is the definition of bro lifting.

Others have recommended more reasonable approaches for beginners. Another good approach is to pick a handful of compound lifts and do them 3 times a week. For example, seated or bent over rows, bench press or dips, squats, and deadlifts. Throw in something for your core at the end (like planks) if you want. As a beginner you don't need to be doing anything exotic. Just try to hit all of your muscles several times a week. After a few months switch up your exercises but stick to full body.
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I do Weldon's 5,3,1 lifting program. East to get into and manage, good results so far.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    I figure if i am going to be pushing myself, my heart would benefit from having 15 pounds less mass to have to push blood through while weight lifting. I just want the pressure off my heart and give it less struggle when I start.

for what it's worth to you, my pulse seems to have dropped 15-20 beats per minute somewhere after i started lifting. and that's from someone who's been a 5-day-a-week bike commuter for years and always had a seated pulse in the 80's or 90's. i don't think it's my weight; that's varied by about the same amount over the time i've been lifting.

never been on my doctor's radar for hypertension though. so idk about that.
  • serapel
    serapel Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    KDar1988 wrote: »
    I'd be doing it now! I've lost 113lbs and have exercised and lifted weights all along. 5 months ago I started SL 5x5 and I love it. Weight is coming off super slow for me (50lbs left), but it would really help you look better now if you get in there! Congrats!!

Edited to add...I'm 49.

wow! good for you!