How do you handle being ill regarding diet and activity?

Options
Just as the title suggests I'm curious how other people handle and plan for (for lack of a better term since no one plans to be sick) illness.

I am in maintenance but spent the night on my bathroom floor vomiting my brains out. On a regular non-sick day I usually clock 20-30k steps in chasing my kids and 11km runs most nights (and therefore eat around 3000 calories). My thought is to push for 10k steps (given my husband being away and the kids this will be not too difficult me thinks) and eat at sedentary maintenance cals around 1700. As much as I feel like death I also don't want to spiral into one of these regain slippery slopes you read about so I want to push through I guess

So what is your illness game plan, if any?

Replies

• adamyovanovich
    adamyovanovich Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Just get better, its life, if your throwing up your not going to be over in calories. Just do what it takes to get better then move on. I was sick this weekend, only could eat 1400 calories without getting sick, so that's what i ate and tried to keep fluids down. Now i feel better and im back at it.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I give my body the time it needs to rest and recover. Try to get in as many fluids as I can and eat what my body can tolerate.

If you don't take the necessary time to allow your body to recovery, you will just make it worst and prolong it. Take a few days or a week, you can get your steps in when you are feeling better.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I tend to be less active and eat less. Sick right now actually.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I do what I need to do to get better...having some down time here in there isn't some kind of detriment to your health...actually taking it easy from time to time as necessary is pretty good for you. Try to look at the bigger picture...taking off a few days to rest up and get better is pretty friggin' irrelevant to the bigger picture don't you think?
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Just take care of yourself. Rest. Eat what you need to recover. Think about CICO once you are well. Whatever you do, do not "push through" to get steps.

ETA: and wash hands (yours and your kids) like you're OCD. Nothing worse than kids with stomach virus, IMHO. Feel better soon!
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    Just take care of yourself. Rest. Eat what you need to recover. Think about CICO once you are well. Whatever you do, do not "push through" to get steps.

ETA: and wash hands (yours and your kids) like you're OCD. Nothing worse than kids with stomach virus, IMHO. Feel better soon!

Incidentally I actually have OCD so this is a non-issue at least. Blessedly the 4 and 2 year olds are good about it, the baby continues to try to live dangerously haha

jemhh wrote: »
    If you spent the night vomiting your brains out on the bathroom floor, you shouldn't be spending time thinking about calories today. A couple of days of resting and eating in a way that feels good for your health is not going to hurt anything. I think it is unhealthy to worry about this.

While I get your point you read so often about people getting sick or what have you and it totally derailing them back to regaining. That's a terrifying prospect I'd rather avoid. Ì do understand your thinking though, I just don't know if I trust myself enough to not think about it if that makes sense?
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »

Incidentally I actually have OCD so this is a non-issue at least. Blessedly the 4 and 2 year olds are good about it, the baby continues to try to live dangerously haha

If you spent the night vomiting your brains out on the bathroom floor, you shouldn't be spending time thinking about calories today. A couple of days of resting and eating in a way that feels good for your health is not going to hurt anything. I think it is unhealthy to worry about this.

While I get your point you read so often about people getting sick or what have you and it totally derailing them back to regaining. That's a terrifying prospect I'd rather avoid. Ì do understand your thinking though, I just don't know if I trust myself enough to not think about it if that makes sense?

Well whether or not it derails you is totally in your hands and within your control. I guess the community advice is probably just going to be don't let it derail you. I agree with others if you are that sick just focus on getting well right now, put the diet down for a bit.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

That is generally a longer illness, is it not? You are talking about one or two days of feeling under the weather. I understand not wanting to backslide but I think you are worrying too much.
  • JessicaMcB
    Options

That is generally a longer illness, is it not? You are talking about one or two days of feeling under the weather. I understand not wanting to backslide but I think you are worrying too much.

I have read a handful of non- long term illnesses spiraling into calamity but yes I think most probably are longer term illnesses. Thanks for your thoughts, I'll try to keep them in mind today.
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    If I am sick, I focus on getting well. If that means not eating because of nausea/vomiting, I don't eat. If that means having endless cups of tea with honey, so be it.

The trick seems to be getting back on plan after you get over the illness.
  • cwolfman13
    Options

I don't think most people are getting "derailed" and gaining all of their weight back because they had the flu or something and took a couple days off...if that's the case, they weren't really committed to anything in the first place...hell, I've been on IR now for about 12 weeks and I'm biting at the bit to get back out on my bike.

I think most people who talk about illness and gaining weight back are talking about severe illnesses or injury that makes regular exercise and whatnot difficult if not impossible over the long term...not taking a couple of days off...heck, most training protocols call for a day or two off weekly.
  • cwolfman13
    Options

I have read a handful of non- long term illnesses spiraling into calamity but yes I think most probably are longer term illnesses. Thanks for your thoughts, I'll try to keep them in mind today.

Then they weren't really committed to anything...anyone who takes off a couple days and then just throws their hands up in the air isn't committed to anything at all...
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Backsliding does not come from a couple days off for being tired/sick.. and I highly doubt that with you posting this, you are gonna let this get you down for any longer than it has to..

Sometimes pushing it when the body is utilizing all that it currently has to heal and repair, there is need to give your body even more stress and more a reasons to keep you down another day..

Look the body signals you with "crappy feelings" like pain and discomfort for a reason, listen to it.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I just focus on getting better... taking care of myself and my family. I don't worry too much about fitness at that point, although last time I was sick with the stomach flu (for about a week) I was super paranoid about my milk supply since I am nursing.. I was downing water, juice, tea and electrolytes and trying my best to eat even a little bit... so I guess we each have our own battles and worries.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I've spent the last three weeks dealing with a severe sinus infection, mild fever, and then a reaction to the antibiotics I was given. I really haven't done much of anything for the entire month of October. Some days I've stayed below my calories, some days I haven't. You know what? I can't wait to get back to it. Why? Because I want it and I'm not going to let a little illness put me back in to a lifestyle of eating too much and moving too little. I mean, why would I? That lifestyle does not appeal to me.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Here's my story of backsliding due to sickness: I was sick for a few months. I kept getting strep back to back, pink eye in both eyes, I had a viral infection, and I had to get my wisdom teeth surgically removed. That was all in the span of 2-3 months. I missed about a good amount of work due to everything. Turns out there was mold growing in the wall of my bedroom b/c the way they had the water draining from all of the rain we had that year wasn't working properly and was draining into the basement (which was wear my room was at the time - I've since moved).

I backslid then b/c everything kept piling on and I didn't have the energy to worry about dieting or exercising. Once I got well again, I was totally out of the habit of logging and measuring everything, so I couldn't get myself back into the mindset to do it. Jumping back into pole class was easy b/c I was desperately trying to make up for all of the strength I lost. Plus I love poling.

Cut to my restarting MFP in January, I've had strep a few times, but I was only down for 1 day each time I've had it (once I was no longer contagious, I got back to business), so it wasn't a out of the swing of things for 30+ days. I've also sprained my ankle this year, but the good thing about pole is it's low impact, so I was only out of commission for a week, two at the most. None of that caused me to have to stop logging for any reason. I'm actually now in maintenance.

So unless you are down for a month+, I don't see this causing you any real problems with gaining everything back.
  • lissmayer
    lissmayer Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    How many children do you have to regularly clock in 30k steps? Chasing my (I think) active toddler and preschooler rarely nets 10k. Do you live in a castle? Legit curious.
  • JessicaMcB
    Options
    lissmayer wrote: »
    How many children do you have to regularly clock in 30k steps? Chasing my (I think) active toddler and preschooler rarely nets 10k. Do you live in a castle? Legit curious.

We have a newly 4, 2, and 1 Year old plus another 4 year old I watch 4 days a week. They run me pretty good and my husband works away a lot so the house and yard all fall on me.

Thanks all for your input, I feel thoroughly neurotic now and will try to have more perspective. Regain is just a horrifying prospect to me I guess and it's in the forefront of my mind in maintenance
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    lissmayer wrote: »

We have a newly 4, 2, and 1 Year old plus another 4 year old I watch 4 days a week. They run me pretty good and my husband works away a lot so the house and yard all fall on me.

Thanks all for your input, I feel thoroughly neurotic now and will try to have more perspective. Regain is just a horrifying prospect to me I guess and it's in the forefront of my mind in maintenance

Did you take any maintenance breaks while losing your weight?