Apple cider vinegar

Options

Replies

• jhassell67
    jhassell67 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It stops heartburn, My husband swears by it just for that.
  • Red_Pill
    Red_Pill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    It's great for aiding digestion of protein.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    It doesn't have any magical properties that help with weight loss...it is tasty in many BBQ recipes and I like using it in some of the dressings I make.

It does help with a charlie horse though...

Do you apply acv directly on the skin, like a salve? I get Charlie-horses frequently.

No, that's about the only time I'll shoot the stuff...I get really tight calves for whatever reason and charlie horses to follow...often after a long ride, even though I stretch and roll...the ACV seems to provide some quick relief...anecdotal as it is. My Dr. is the one who told me about it and he's not usually into woo and an avid cyclist like myself.

Cool. I have tight calves, too, from lots of hiking. Thanks, good to know.

worth a try...can't hurt...I wouldn't shoot that stuff too much though, wreck your teethe.

Take ACV capsules instead. Then there's no teeth issues.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Tastes great on pulled pork and is even a reasonable substitute for malt vinegar on fish & chips, but it does absolutely nothing for weight loss.

Cool, I'll have to try that :)
  • wanzik
    wanzik Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I dilute 2 tablespoons in a couple cups of water every morning. I use the organic, unfiltered stuff "with the Mother."

Yes, calorie deficit is how we burn calories, we all know that. However, different foods have different nutrients that the body uses in different ways. Right? I've read a few things from a few sources and decided to try it. That, along with the diet I've chosen to follow, helped me lose 25lbs in a couple of months. I'm not doing it for just weight loss though, I believe it can benefit those with diabetes and/or high cholesterol. I have both. So I'll continue using it.

I believe you could incorporate it in other foods like salad dressings, for example, and still reap the benefits. Just make sure it's diluted because straight up it can damage your throat and stomach.
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    It is great for canning. Also for mosquito bites!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    jhassell67 wrote: »

Funny . . . it caused heartburn for me.
  • wanzik
    wanzik Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    wanzik wrote: »
    I dilute 2 tablespoons in a couple cups of water every morning. I use the organic, unfiltered stuff "with the Mother."

Yes, calorie deficit is how we burn calories, we all know that. However, different foods have different nutrients that the body uses in different ways. Right? I've read a few things from a few sources and decided to try it. That, along with the diet I've chosen to follow, helped me lose 25lbs in a couple of months. I'm not doing it for just weight loss though, I believe it can benefit those with diabetes and/or high cholesterol. I have both. So I'll continue using it.

I believe you could incorporate it in other foods like salad dressings, for example, and still reap the benefits. Just make sure it's diluted because straight up it can damage your throat and stomach.

My bold.

Insert 'or any other placebo' into the bolded sentence

The 'diet I decided to follow' being the crucial part,not the placebo ;)

I can take a little round pill and my blood pressure goes down.
    I can take a little oval pill and my (bad) cholesterol goes down.
    I can take another little oval pill and my diabetes becomes under control.

BUT...

Food and their nutrients can have no effects on how the body functions. Yes, that makes perfect sense.

Yes, I will continue - happily - with my "placebo." :smiley:
  • jvcjim
    jvcjim Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I like the taste of apple cider vinegar so i drink it it seems to aid in digestion as does good balsamic vinegar. try it, sip a shot just before dinner. will it end world hunger, bring us peace with or without honor? no. Might it help you feel better and add a rich savory component to your meal... i think so.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I use ACV to cook Black Beans. It is very tasty.
    No impact on weight loss whatsoever
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    It doesn't have any magical properties that help with weight loss...it is tasty in many BBQ recipes and I like using it in some of the dressings I make.

Do you apply acv directly on the skin, like a salve? I get Charlie-horses frequently.

Applying ACV directly to the skin does get rid of skin barnacles. I've done it two ways 1. put it on a piece of a cotton ball and used a band aid to get it to stick and 2. made a paste with bentonite clay powder.

I used to get Charley horses but no longer do - I think for me the cause was a vitamin deficiency that I have since corrected. My SO used to get them a lot but no more after upping his water consumption after passing kidney stones.

http://www.webmd.com/pain-management/muscle-spasms-cramps-charley-horse

I thought you were joking when you used the term "skin barnacles". What a horrifying thought! :lol: Then Iooked up what they were. TIL I have skin barnacles.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    jhassell67 wrote: »

Funny . . . it caused heartburn for me.

Me too.

Some people don't have enough stomach acid, that's where ACV can help. That's not my issue either unfortunately.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

Applying ACV directly to the skin does get rid of skin barnacles. I've done it two ways 1. put it on a piece of a cotton ball and used a band aid to get it to stick and 2. made a paste with bentonite clay powder.

I used to get Charley horses but no longer do - I think for me the cause was a vitamin deficiency that I have since corrected. My SO used to get them a lot but no more after upping his water consumption after passing kidney stones.

Oh wow, my mom has these on her legs and the doctor told her it was seborrheic keratosis. She hates them. I'm going to tell her about this and see if it helps her. Can't hurt to try!
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Love it when I'm making German Potato salad.

It may have some effect of total cholesterol (http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-37229792), but it isn't magic.

If you start trying to tell people that it somehow "alkalizes" your body, you'll get laughed out of the joint, though. Because the body doesn't work that way.
  • arose1122
    arose1122 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I mix some ACV with carbonated water, lime juice, and zero calorie liquid sweetener for a pretty good alternative to Mountain Dew. I used to chug that stuff like it was going out of style. Now I have this every now and then and it tastes just as good to me.
  • Gotrek1
    Gotrek1 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Great for pickling. Pickles taste 10 times better when pickled with ACV
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options

I thought you were joking when you used the term "skin barnacles". What a horrifying thought! :lol: Then Iooked up what they were. TIL I have skin barnacles.

Do NOT -- I repeat -- do NOT use Google Images to search for "skin barnacles". <shiver> Needs a trigger warning.
  • Gotrek1
    Gotrek1 Posts: 64 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Dammit How could I resist! You said DON'T which everyone knows is a challenge to do it!