Where do I store my keys when running outside?

Options
Hi my name is Micah and I am a newbie runner who apparently hasn't figured this out.

So I normally just put the keys in my pocket when I am walking and have no fear of them flopping out. When I start jogging I get completely paranoid so I end up holding them in my hand the whole time I'm jogging.

Please put this moron in his place.

Thanks I'll hang up and listen to your answer.

Replies

• JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Flip Belt. Even has a clip to make sure your keys don't slip out. Love mine!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options
    shoe laces. I guess that would work best for one key.
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I love shorts or crops with built in zipper pockets. I am a lululemon addict, but I really do love all the zip pocket options in their shorts... even enough room for my cell phone. I like to keep my license/ID and health insurance card on me.I also have used a running belt like this one.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CK92VX8/ref=cm_sw_r_pi_dp_7luovb13GK7HY
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Do you have somebody at home to buzz you in? Can you hook the buzzer up to your phone and buzz yourself in? What about breaking a window? :wink:

If not, it's pretty cheap to make a copy of a single key. Then at least you don't have to bring your whole ring with you.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I safety pin my key ring to the inside of my pocket or waistband.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I have a water bottle that contains a small zipper pouch (Nathan brand) that fits around my hand like a glove kinda. If I'm coming and going from home, I have a key (spare house key) that goes in the pouch. If I drove to a park and I'm coming and going from my car, I have a spare car key (house key gets hidden out of view and locked in the car) to go in that same pouch.

I also have an armband holster for my phone, and that has a key slot. With my prior car, I would use that for the car key sometimes. It doesn't hold my new car key because it is just a remote and not shaped like a key. The house key might be a bit small for that and I do worry it will fall out.

ETA: This is the bottle I'm talking about:
    https://www.nathansports.com/quickdraw-plus-hydration-bottle-4834n
  • hlektra28
    hlektra28 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    hair elastic and put it in your wrist
  • hlektra28
    hlektra28 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    this work for me !!!!
  • darrenbanks7492
    darrenbanks7492 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    buy some shorts with a zip pocket? Or tie it into the drawstring on your shorts/tracksuit bottoms?
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Flip belt or buy shorts with a pocket. I want to also get some form of ID tag as when I'm off running in the woods I want the person who finds my body to be able to tell my folks!
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options

I do this and it works. Just make sure it's double tied. I nearly lost a key because the single tie came loose while running....
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    Flip belt or buy shorts with a pocket. I want to also get some form of ID tag as when I'm off running in the woods I want the person who finds my body to be able to tell my folks!

I use RoadID. I've been able to load a lot of information for first responders and even have uploaded a copy of my Living Will and Medical Power of Attorney in case I'm incapacitated. Fortunately I've never needed to use it, but it will help responders a whole lot if I ever do need it.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Small fanny pack.
  • MsRuffBuffNStuff
    MsRuffBuffNStuff Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    There's all sorts of styles of running belts that will hold your iPod, keys, etc. They are like small fanny packs
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options

I do this and it works. Just make sure it's double tied. I nearly lost a key because the single tie came loose while running....

Tuck the loops under the laces they don't come undone.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I have the off brand of the flip belt...I got it on Amazon for $1 in exchange for a review, but even without the reviewer discount, it's cheaper than the brand name and works just as well. I can wear it under or over my shirt, which is nice.
  • WhimsyWayward
    WhimsyWayward Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    mdonsbach wrote: »
    Hi my name is Micah and I am a newbie runner who apparently hasn't figured this out.

So I normally just put the keys in my pocket when I am walking and have no fear of them flopping out. When I start jogging I get completely paranoid so I end up holding them in my hand the whole time I'm jogging.

Please put this moron in his place.

Thanks I'll hang up and listen to your answer.

i like biking shirts that have the deep pockets built in on the back
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    OK so you shouldn't have to carry multiple keys. One should do it, a car key or house key depending on where you run from.

So you can get a wristlet that fastens on your wrist with a zipper pocket. You can lace your key through the bow on your shoes. You can get zipper posckets on shirts, vests, pants shorts. Some shorts or pants have an interior key pocket off the waistband-or you could sew one in there.