Freezing Greek yogurt

Options
cnbbnc
cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
I was thinking about mixing fruit in it and throwing it in the freezer to make something ice cream-like. Good or bad idea? Anybody?

Replies

• JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Buy the trays people use for homemade popsicles, and put the sticks in it. Then you can weigh it as you fill it, and have an accurate calorie count.
  • cnbbnc
    Options
    That's a good idea. Was just wondering if it gets weird when you freeze it....
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    My mom freezes it and then bakes with it. Not sure how close it would be to frozen yogurt (the professional stuff). Maybe see if there's a recipe online for frozen yogurt?
  • JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I'd assume it would be a similar texture to Go-gurt when frozen. It should be fine.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    I make greek yogurt popsicles all the time. They are so good and a satisfying sweet high protein snack
  • cnbbnc
    Options
    Ok. It's in the freezer with mashed up strawberries so we'll see. Thanks!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I do it all of the time, except I mix in various flavors of protein powders instead. MyProtein's Cinnamon Roll whey is especially amazing for this. I've also made shaved ice with it just mixed in water and frozen. Cinnamon roll italian ice? Ohhhhh yes.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    If it's 0%, it doesn't work that well. You have to keep mixing it. If it has a bit of fat it works better
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i freeze regular yogurt all the time, in ice-cube trays. nothing wrong with the texture i've ever found, but it does separate like brangelina if you thaw it out.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Even with fat in it, stirring it from time to time as it freezes helps break up the ice crystals as they form and gives a creamier texture if you're looking for a spoonable treat. That's why an ice cream maker has paddles in it. If you're just looking to freeze as cubes or popsicles, you don't need to stir.