Most Effective Weight Loss?

Options
Hi everyone! I'm kinda new here and I'm curious what the most effective way to lose weight is? I'm 22 yrs old and I'm 5 feet. I had always been skinny until a bad medication caused me to go from 140 to 240!!! Right now I'm 210 (yay) but I was curious what I should do for overall weight loss? Currently I do 30 mins of cardio and I eat healthy. Please help, I'm desperate!! :s

Replies

• jvcjim
    jvcjim Posts: 812 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    weigh and log all your food. Log your exercises, eat back no more than 50% of you exercise calories. other than that just stay at or slightly under your calorie goal and eat anything you want. it is not a diet it is a lifestyle.
    even with meds you did not go to bed one night at 140 and wake up at 240, it took time and it will take even more time for the weight to come back off.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    To lose weight, you have to consistently take in fewer calories than you burn. To be able to do that for any period of time to see any discernible results, you have to eat enough, eat food you like, and if you exercise, do something you like that makes your heart beat faster. If you use your food diary correctly, and you also have set up your account correctly, you should lose weight effectively.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Don't just eat healthy. Measure & weigh portions. Eating fewer calories than your body expends = weight loss. You could eat 100% crap and still lose weight (although not in a healthy way).

It's calories first, it's calories second, and so on. Put your stats in My Fitness Pal - meet that calorie goal. When you exercise log that too. Then eat a portion of those calories as well. This is because MFP doesn't assume you will exercise, and calorie burns are a guess. But exercise is great for your health.

Include foods you like. Don't eliminate anything. Learn portions for all foods....not just diet foods. That will help you keep the weight loss in check. MFP can be a great learning tool.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    eat a little less, move a little more.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    What worked for me - Eat nutritious foods, manage portions so you are in calorie deficit and lots of cardio. At my peak I was running over 30 miles a week, Nautilus workout 3 days a week and planks daily.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    lose weight = eat less calories than you burn..................that is it.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Eat in a reasonable calorie deficit (not too much- less than your TDEE and more than your BMR)

http://www.iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

Count calories and measure/weigh food with a digital scale so you can tell how many calories you are eating.

That's it.

Continue to exercise, I would add weightlifting and make sure you get enough protein too. If you include exercise in your calorie calculations then don't log it in myfitnesspal. If you don't include exercise in your calorie calculations then do log exercise in myfitnesspal and eat back the calories (but be careful they are generally overestimated so don't eat all of them back).
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm kinda new here and I'm curious what the most effective way to lose weight is? I'm 22 yrs old and I'm 5 feet. I had always been skinny until a bad medication caused me to go from 140 to 240!!! Right now I'm 210 (yay) but I was curious what I should do for overall weight loss? Currently I do 30 mins of cardio and I eat healthy. Please help, I'm desperate!! :s

Most effective way is right here in MFP.. The MFP app and food scale are two tools that do not disappoint when used diligently and consistently..

I might add that its a much better method to follow all the way to maintaining your weight.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,436 Member
    Options
    I weigh & log everything that goes in my mouth. I make a shake in morning, cause i'm not hungry in morning, have a decent lunch & have more calories at dinner since that's when i'm more hungry. I make sure i leave calories for snack so i'm not tempted to eat at nite. lost 22lbs so far
  • CaptainJoy
    CaptainJoy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    It's called CICO or CI<CO which means calories in are less than calories out. Exercise and healthy eating are a good start but you can't outrun a bad diet. Knowing how many calories you eat or drink often requires weighing solid foods and measuring liquids. It means preplanning restaurant meals so you stay within your calorie limits. It means knowing how active you are so you can eat more on days you exercise. If you don't have a step tracker, you can get a health app on a smartphone to track your steps.

You're in the right place to find help. I've lost 104 pounds this past year using this app and a Fitbit. Since you already eat healthy you probably don't need a multivitamin like I do. If you're only eating 1200 calories like I was, you might want to take one as a safeguard against getting sick. It's not always that easy to get adequate nutrition when you limit your calories.

Great start and good luck!
  • CdnLee
    CdnLee Posts: 14 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I just started on the ketogenic diet (day 3). A colleague introduced me. She looks amazing. It's a low carb diet, but for the first time ever, I am NOT hungry. I love the food choices!
  • 8Titan3
    8Titan3 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I found the fastest way I dropped the weight was less calories in to more calories burned for fast weight lost.
  • 8Titan3
    8Titan3 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Please add me if you like.