ZERO CALORIE FOODS, OH MY!!!

Options

Replies

• Sassy_Cass
    Sassy_Cass Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    from what I Know PB2 Is made from peanuts in which all their oils (calories) have been expelled.
    If that is the case what is the point in eating it - nothing good for you if everything expelled?
  • hopebuck
    hopebuck Posts: 138
    Options
    i gave up all artificial sweeteners and lost weight some years back...a lot of weight. they are horrible for you. don't let the zero calorie fool you. you NEED calories, just have to eat the right ones. it's a tough call.
  • catecn
    catecn Posts: 84
    Options
    i cant speak for all their foods, but the peanut butter is HORRIBLE! dont waste ur money
  • mizjohnston
    mizjohnston Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I've never had an issue with splenda. I learned a long time ago that anything that says 0 calories is only for that one serving. I learned the hard way with butter sprays and Pam. I use to lather everything in butter spray then found out the whole bottle was was like 600 calories. I'd worry more about the servings then the splenda. It will add up and can make you really bloated.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid artificial sweeteners as much as possible. I will take real sugar over chemicals any day. I will occasionally have a diet soda or Jell-O pudding snack (Splenda) but definitely not every day, maybe one each every week.
  • JessicaRucker
    Options
    I don't think splenda should even be considered a food. EVERYTHING in moderation. Splenda won't help you slim down, eating an all around healthy diet and watching what goes in your mouth will. I wouldn't touch the peanut butter. Sounds like a sience experiment gone wrong! Avoiding highly processed foods, like those on that website, will help with weightloss!!!
  • ktaygal
    ktaygal Posts: 10
    Options
    I know a lot of people who use Splenda, and almost all of them say it causes bad gas and stomach upsets. Personal opinion is, everything in moderation! Too much sugar can kill you, too much artificial sugar can kill you, too much vitamin K can kill you! Just use questionable ingredients moderately, and hopefully you won't get horrible effects.
  • asallen7
    asallen7 Posts: 301
    Options
    http://waldenfarms.com/nutrition_facts.html#

The above link in the nutrition label for the peanut butter spread. Its not REAL peanut butter. It has a peanut flavor.
  • Sassy_Cass
    Options
    http://waldenfarms.com/nutrition_facts.html#

The above link in the nutrition label for the peanut butter spread. Its not REAL peanut butter. It has a peanut flavor.

If it is not real then why eat it - your body is real it needs to be fueled with real foods and real nutrients. You can't eat artifical foods and expect to feel satisfied and be able to maintain a lifestyle.

Think about it - would you feed it to a child? Then why feed it to yourself?

I know I sound preachy but you are worth more than filler and chemicals. You can do whatever you put your mind to including being the person you want to be naturally :flowerforyou:
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Fake peanut butter? I'd much rather have the real stuff and get the protein and healthy fats (and I don't even like peanut butter!)
  • healthybones
    healthybones Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    What is the trick? It can't be "peanut butter" without peanuts and those have calories. Heck, even tofu has calories. Is this actual food?

I agree! Look at the ingredient list! It's like a chemistry experiment. I rather have my calories.
  • ZumbaQueenKelly
    Options
    Splenda used to upset my stomache but now that I eat a lot of foods that already have it in them I'm used to it.
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    from what I Know PB2 Is made from peanuts in which all their oils (calories) have been expelled.
    If that is the case what is the point in eating it - nothing good for you if everything expelled?
    PB2 is different from the Walden Farms stuff. I tried 1 Walden Farms "0 calorie" product once, it was DIS.GUS.TING! I use PB2, and it's great! All it is is dehydrated PB.
  • countryrunner
    countryrunner Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Borrowed from http://www.truthaboutabs.com/artificial-sweeteners-natural-stevia.html, article "Do Artificial Sweeteners (splenda, aspartame, etc) Make You Fat? Natural Alternatives Including Stevia"

"Splenda is probably one of the worst offenders of claiming to be "healthy" as they say that it's made from real sugar. Don't be fooled! It's still an artificial substance. What they don't tell you is that Splenda is actually a chemically modified substance where chlorine is added to the chemical structure, making it more similar to a chlorinated pesticide than something we should be eating or drinking."
  • chardawg80
    chardawg80 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Best motto to go by, seems quite applicable here:

"If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is"

Stay away from it and stick with healthy natural foods....Peanut butter is good if you eat it in moderation, it has alot of the "Good fats" you need to maintain a healthy diet...
  • KeyMasterOfGozer
    KeyMasterOfGozer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    read the book "Sugar Shock" you will never touch splenda again.
    it is actually half chlorine. there is nothing good about that stuff.

its like aspertame in diet soda's it's actually been proven to be bad for you and bad for weight loss
    Salt also is half chlorine, but without salt, you will die.

Aspartame has only shown to be harmful in huge quantities. Normal quantities have been enjoyed by hundreds of millions of people for 50+ years, during which time life expectancy has gone up instead of down.
  • Sassy_Cass
    Options
    read the book "Sugar Shock" you will never touch splenda again.
    it is actually half chlorine. there is nothing good about that stuff.

its like aspertame in diet soda's it's actually been proven to be bad for you and bad for weight loss
    Salt also is half chlorine, but without salt, you will die.

Aspartame has only shown to be harmful in huge quantities. Normal quantities have been enjoyed by hundreds of millions of people for 50+ years, during which time life expectancy has gone up instead of down.

I'm going to say that increase in life expectancy is not caused by eating artifical foods... just going out on a limb here :noway:

Artifical is not a great thing for you period.

Although we need salt we do not need salt from a shaker - many foods naturally contains salt like properties which is what our bodies need to absorb nutrients (not to mention the amount of salt we need is NO WHERE near the amount we consume)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Salt = sodium chloride. Sodium + chlorine. That's not table salt, that's EVERY salt. Table salt, sea salt, kosher salt, rock salt, etc.

Splenda is 95% dextrose, and maltodextrin, and 5% sucralose. Sucralose contains a very small amount of chlorine (sucralose is actually a very lightly chlorinated sucrose molecule.) So 5% of Splenda's composition contains a very small amount of chlorine in it. Trying to say it's "half chlorine," is laughable, and honestly, an outright lie.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    My feeling on this is...why do we need everything to be sweet?? ...even to the point of artificially creating that sweet taste. We're just masking real flavors and warping our taste buds to crave the sweetness. The flavor of "sweet" causes dopamine to be released, which can be addictive. I've found that we can retrain ourselves to appreciate natural foods if we eat them without all the sweetness added to them.

http://www.dukehealth.org/health_library/news/10267
    http://www.psychologytoday.com/basics/dopamine
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I don't mind splenda, I haven't had any negative effects from it. If would be all over those zero cal foods!