Skipping the ice cream

Options
Tonight my whole family is eating ice cream and I'm skipping the ice cream, not because I'm trying to avoid sugar but overeating isn't helping me lose weight. This is so far from easy, but I want that change so bad. My calories are gone for today. I'm trying to look at this like money. If my money was gone it would be impossible to buy anything. If I have 0 calories left I can not eat anymore. I always just ate the extra stuff because I thought it really wouldnt matter and I expected to still lose weight. I'm seeing that doesn't work. I'm going to make better decisions with my nutrition and tonight was number 1.

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i also personally love orange segments when they're frozen.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I keep ice cream bars and pops in my fridge

Under 100 cals, some around 50

8851586056222.jpg

IDShot_540x540.jpg

8834828304414.jpg

• CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Kicking the ice cream habit was the HARDEST thing for me. I actually don't think I'll ever get over it. Substitutes don't work well either. As another poster said, if you are at your calorie limit then you did the right thing. Sometimes, though, when I'm really, really needing an evening "sweet", I have been having one of the small Outshine Fruit for Fruit and Veggie popsicles (35 calories). Even if I might go over, it's minimal and I feel somewhat satisfied.

As for eating ice cream when I *do* have calories left, I have not done it yet because it is a trigger food for me. If I start with it, I can't stop.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I commend the will power and acknowledgement of the problem but offer a Happy solution.

Life is to short to not eat what you like a little more movement through the day and you can eat what ever you want too. Exercise more invest in a home bike or treadmill or stepper maybe join a gym walk around the block twice as soon as you get home.

My 2 cents
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Good willpower! On days you can have ice cream, might I recommend a low-cal option? My King Soopers [AKA Kroger] just got pretty much all the flavors... Halo Top ice cream.

Glorious. Some of the flavors are hit and miss for consistency [let it sit out 5-10 minutes to soften for best texture], but some are phenomenal. Chocolate Mocha Chip is 280 calories for the whole pint. Unf. I've got Oatmeal Cookie in my fridge that I've just slowly been nibbling down. It is also high in protein! 24g/pint.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I have to do that all the time now. It took a while but it's easier. I let myself have ice cream when I really crave it (and make it fit), but I've learned to pass on donuts/ice cream etc when the kids want to go out for something...

I've actually said no a few times too when we were with friends and everyone was getting some! Still got to learn to say no to pie though...
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling! instead, i give myself one of these badboys every night.

wich-product-son-wich.png

This way i don't feel like depriving myself and i leave myself calories (roughly 75) without breaking the calorie bank! :)
  • PixelPuff
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

This way i don't feel like depriving myself and i leave myself calories (roughly 75) without breaking the calorie bank! :)

That is glorious. I've never actually seen that in store! o: Where did you get them?
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    PixelPuff wrote: »

That is glorious. I've never actually seen that in store! o: Where did you get them?

I don't know if it's just my area or what, but it's right next to the rest of the ben n jerry's ice creams. :)

(P.S. I just want to mention i'm so jealous of people in the states who have cherry garcia, cheesecake flavors, pumpkin flavors, and the vegan varieties! We only have peanut butter cup, chocolate brownie, and a few other simple flavors here)
  • PixelPuff
    Options

I don't know if it's just my area or what, but it's right next to the rest of the ben n jerry's ice creams. :)

(P.S. I just want to mention i'm so jealous of people in the states who have cherry garcia, cheesecake flavors, pumpkin flavors, and the vegan varieties! We only have peanut butter cup, chocolate brownie, and a few other simple flavors here)

... I haven't thought to check for seasonal pumpkin flavors, and now I am so excited to check later. xD <333

I usually get Halo Top or Ben & Jerry's, so was hoping I just missed this in the ice cream sandwich section. Darn, hope we get them soon!
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options

Can people from other countries use Amazon to buy stuff or is it just in the USA?

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&amp;field-keywords=cherry+garcia
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    emilykc822 wrote: »
    Tonight my whole family is eating ice cream and I'm skipping the ice cream, not because I'm trying to avoid sugar but overeating isn't helping me lose weight. This is so far from easy, but I want that change so bad. My calories are gone for today. I'm trying to look at this like money. If my money was gone it would be impossible to buy anything. If I have 0 calories left I can not eat anymore. I always just ate the extra stuff because I thought it really wouldnt matter and I expected to still lose weight. I'm seeing that doesn't work. I'm going to make better decisions with my nutrition and tonight was number 1.

I agree with your philosophy of treating calories like spending money.

To continue the metaphor - what about exercise as working overtime? Next time family ice cream is planned, get in more exercise to earn calories for it. I have trained my OH to let us plan for ice cream (and pizza) rather than having it spontaneously.
  • rainbowbow
    Options

Can people from other countries use Amazon to buy stuff or is it just in the USA?

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&amp;field-keywords=cherry+garcia

we have other amazon sites. like amazon.co.uk (England/UK) or .de(Germany) etc. etc. etc. But neither of them sell frozen foods for the obvious reasons of shipping and handling from country to country.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    One choice, one day at a time...
  • Emican2020
    Emican2020 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your insights and suggestions for some lower calorie, delicious ideas.
  • mafhoney
    mafhoney Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Also gotta go with the Halo Top! It can be a little hard to find (though Whole Foods always carries it), but it's sooo good. PixelPuff is right about some of the flavors being 'meeeh' - I don't like the cookies & cream - but some I like better than regular ice cream. Strawberry is the absolute best, followed by Mint Chip. I haven't found the Cookie Dough yet, but I've heard it's right up there.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,380 Member
    Options
    I just had 1/2 cup ice cream in a cone. It really was enough, but i had the calories to eat it