Weight loss with medical conditions

Options
I am 36 with a lot of medical issues. While working on the issues I am also trying to lose weight. Basically I need to lose as close if not 100lbs in a years time. I am feeling so overwhelmed with it all. I'm looking for friends who understand and will help keep me in check. There are so many days I feel alone through all of this and want to give in to my emotional eating. Today, it's definitely that kind of day.

Replies

• Kmedeiros83
    Kmedeiros83 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    You aren't alone. There are plenty of others out there tackling the same issues you are. Stay strong!
  • mpost12590
    mpost12590 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    You aren't alone. There are plenty of others out there tackling the same issues you are. Stay strong!

Thank you!
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I am sorry to read that you are not well.

I have multiple chronic health issues, Lupus and CRPS are the main 2 issues. I am 54 and started out losing weight from my highest of 278 lbs at the age of 48. It took me over 2 years to get down to where I am comfortable @ 110 lbs and I have been maintaining within my range for over 3 years.

Exercise is very difficult for me, so accuracy with CI is paramount. I suggest you invest in digital scales and make sure you are using the confirmed data base entries on MFP, particularly the USDA ones.

I know that when I first decided to lose weight having so much to lose WAS extremely daunting, I battled on alone for a long time and well, lets face it, the time is going to pass by any way, all we can do is to strive to be the best and healthiest we can in the time we are given.

MFP has been a Godsend. The logging and information from successful veterans here has been inspring and invaluable and I have mae some life long friends here. I don't believe I will ever stop logging as now my priorities have changed in maintenance and I find this is a very useful tool for making sure I am getting adequate nutrition and calorie requirements each and every day...something that can be challenging when you are not well.

Along with the digital sales, reading and using this site perhaps think about getting some MFP friends to help support you and keep you going. This process is going to take a long time and you are going to have to dig deep into your sources of patience and persistence to keep focused....motivation is an over rated emotion IMO. Being damn stubborn and commited is the stuff of champions.

Ooh also don't go to hard and heavy too soon ie: with deficits and exercise. This is a marathon event not a sprint. You don't need to be miserable from being hungry and sore to get the job done.

All the best.

Karen <3
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    You are definitely not alone. I have medical issues and I have 80 lbs to lose. I have daily migraines, and there are days I can't lift my head off my pillow. I want to be on the treadmill everyday, but I haven't been on it in over a month. It's like I had a horrible migraine for the last month.

Just do what you can do with exercise, when you are able to do it. And if you can't do a lot, don't beat yourself up over it. Food, you have more control over. You will still lose weight counting your calories even if you are not exercising.

Also, set mini goals for yourself. Always thinking that you have 100lbs to lose will make the journey daunting. Set goals (for example) of 10 lbs. Once your lose that, set your next goal for another 10 lbs. It doesn't seem so daunting when you look at it that way. It seems more attainable, and it doesn't cause so much anxiety.

And if you need someone to vent to, you can always add me.

Good luck!
  • mpost12590
    Options

I have multiple chronic health issues, Lupus and CRPS are the main 2 issues. I am 54 and started out losing weight from my highest of 278 lbs at the age of 48. It took me over 2 years to get down to where I am comfortable @ 110 lbs and I have been maintaining within my range for over 3 years.

OMG I also have SLE Lupus and in May of this year I was 278. This is so strange. The other health issues I have is fybromialga, extremely low iron, low platelets, diabetes, and a clotting disorder called lupus anti coagulant. I'm getting ready to have surgery to remove my colon, uterus, and overie removed. I have been slowly losing but it's hard with being tired and in pain all the time.
  • mpost12590
    Options
    You are definitely not alone. I have medical issues and I have 80 lbs to lose. I have daily migraines, and there are days I can't lift my head off my pillow. I want to be on the treadmill everyday, but I haven't been on it in over a month. It's like I had a horrible migraine for the last month.

Just do what you can do with exercise, when you are able to do it. And if you can't do a lot, don't beat yourself up over it. Food, you have more control over. You will still lose weight counting your calories even if you are not exercising.

Also, set mini goals for yourself. Always thinking that you have 100lbs to lose will make the journey daunting. Set goals (for example) of 10 lbs. Once your lose that, set your next goal for another 10 lbs. It doesn't seem so daunting when you look at it that way. It seems more attainable, and it doesn't cause so much anxiety.

And if you need someone to vent to, you can always add me.

Good luck!

It's funny you say about beating myself up. I always do that. If I make only 8,000 steps I'm angry with myself for giving in to my pain and fatigue. I will definitely add you! Thanks
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    mpost12590 wrote: »

OMG I also have SLE Lupus and in May of this year I was 278. This is so strange. The other health issues I have is fybromialga, extremely low iron, low platelets, diabetes, and a clotting disorder called lupus anti coagulant. I'm getting ready to have surgery to remove my colon, uterus, and overie removed. I have been slowly losing but it's hard with being tired and in pain all the time.

@mpost12590 I do feel for you and wish you all the best, especially as it sounds as though you are going to be going through a lot with all the surgery you having coming up.

Try to take each day as it comes; I know that sounds trite and it's most difinitely not easy at all.

I hope you have lots of family and friend support to help you.
  • jenkofb
    jenkofb Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have rheumatoid arthritis, which has caused knee problems and shoulder issues. I can have fear of exercise due to pain and the fear of it triggering a flare. The strange thing is, so far, exercise does not seem to trigger anything, as long as I am sensible about it! I can work out with some pain and have no dire consequences. I've also experimented a lot with what exercises I can do and which ones are too much.

Most of weight loss comes down to diet. I can't exercise away a bad diet or too high of calories. So, for me, I make diet my #1 priority and exercise is a supplement to strengthen my body and conquer stress.

I am curious HippySkoppy - did your weight loss improve your symptoms at all? There has been some evidence that weight loss for autoimmune diseases can be very beneficial in managing symptoms.

We can do this!!! :smiley:
  • KeriHallman0120
    KeriHallman0120 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am 35 and battling MS. It is nice to have people understand that sometimes you just can't. I am trying to do my best to use my good days even if it is only 10 mins on the elliptical. Good luck ladies!!!