0 Calorie foods

Options
2»

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    aliem wrote: »
    To build on the topic, the reason why some of these foods have been termed "zero calorie foods" is because most of them are calculated by including the calories for both the digestion process and the calories you burn for simply existing (i.e. breathing, pumping blood throughout your body, etc.) These are calories you would burn without eating the "zero calorie food" so it is a bit misleading to count them. That said, pretty much all of the items on the "zero calorie food" list are mostly water and would fill you up pretty quickly. Since there is little sustenance provided from these foods, you probably will not stay full for very long. However, it would be really hard to put on (or maintain) weight by just eating these foods. Unless you really love celery and can consume the 125 cups of it needed to equal 2000 calories!

The thing is, even taking those calorie burns into account, you still don't burn nearly enough calories while digesting them to cancel out the calories from the food.
  • aliem
    aliem Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    To build on the topic, the reason why some of these foods have been termed "zero calorie foods" is because most of them are calculated by including the calories for both the digestion process and the calories you burn for simply existing (i.e. breathing, pumping blood throughout your body, etc.) These are calories you would burn without eating the "zero calorie food" so it is a bit misleading to count them. That said, pretty much all of the items on the "zero calorie food" list are mostly water and would fill you up pretty quickly. Since there is little sustenance provided from these foods, you probably will not stay full for very long. However, it would be really hard to put on (or maintain) weight by just eating these foods. Unless you really love celery and can consume the 125 cups of it needed to equal 2000 calories!

The thing is, even taking those calorie burns into account, you still don't burn nearly enough calories while digesting them to cancel out the calories from the food.

Which is why I said that they also add in the calories you burn for just existing (your BMR). Mine is about 1300 as a 5'2'' female, which is about 1 calorie a minute. So unless a piece of celery takes less than 5 minutes to digest, I don't see how my statement was incorrect.
  • mjvalenti7
    mjvalenti7 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Matcha powder?? (Depending on the brand...)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    This is kind of a philosophical question, isn't it? Is it still "food" if it doesn't have calories?

Deep....
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I was wondering what foods have no calories.

None.
    There are very low calorie foods but they all have some calories.
    You are going to be looking at natural vegetables for these very low calorie foods.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    If you feel like you need 0 calorie foods, your deficit is too aggressive, and unsustainable.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    This is kind of a philosophical question, isn't it? Is it still "food" if it doesn't have calories?

Good point. Also if people think that they are going to get any sort of satiation or feeling of fullness from foods that have zero calories they may as well just chew gum and drink water. Will get that feeling of their mouth moving up and down while occupying their stomach with a substance.

Food that has no calories (if that is even a thing) = waste of time and money in my opinion.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Tea, water, Diet Coke.

Why?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    'See food" has no calories... you know the food you see but don't eat it..
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Water is the only 0 calorie food.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Where is that picture of a plate of ice cubes?
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    A photo of a pizza has zero calories. And some fiber. :|

'And some fiber.'... Ahahahaha brilliant!
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    grmckenzie wrote: »
    Here is a list of no calorie foods that I think is pretty accurate. As well as the explanation.

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/negative-calorie-foods/

(Hint: they don't exist)

Thanks, I was just going to post this, you saved me the trouble.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    jdelaroy wrote: »
    If you google negative calorie foods you will find a list of foods that take more calories to digest them than they contain. So technically they aren't no calorie, they just give you a deficit when you eat them. Celery is the only one I remember off hand.

Nope. That's broscience. Food does not give you a deficit when you eat them. ;)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

This.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    Options
    Chadxx wrote: »
    Where is that picture of a plate of ice cubes?

Seventh reply on page 1.
  • wraithfulredtara
    wraithfulredtara Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My brain burned 29 calories while reading this and now I’m hungry
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Everything but water has calories. Eat low carb vegetables like celery, cucumbers, lettuce, tomatoes for low calories.
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Here is a list of no calorie foods that I think is pretty accurate. As well as the explanation.

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/negative-calorie-foods/

(Hint: they don't exist)

I loved reading this. THANK YOU! I wish all the stupid non-sensical diet myths would just go away, but then again, I don't think that wrong ideas should be censored. There just needs to be better education. I'm sad for how many people fall for this nonsense.