need help with salad dressing.

Options
Oh Boy. I could eat salad all day long, but whats in my salad equals the amoutn of calories in the dressings alone. I ususally use wishbone italian dressing.
The salad i usually make has romaine lettuce, shrimp,avacado,tomato,colbyjack cheese. what would go good with that , but wont kill me on the cal/fat?
Thanks in Adavance!

Replies

• DallasLeann
    Options
    They have some 0 calorie 0 sugar dressing out on the market now. I don't know how healthy it really is for you, but it's there.
    http://waldenfarms.com/products/dressings.html
  • Booper83
    Booper83 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    You use wishbone, so stay with that just use a light salad dressing. They still taste good and much better than the fat free. And, remember avacado has a lot of fat as well. And the Kraft fat free cheddar is really good too instead of the regular cheese.
  • LauriinSB
    LauriinSB Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My favorite is Kens Steakhouse Lite Caesar. It's more like Italian than Caesar but really good
  • aehartley
    aehartley Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    < 3 grams of sugar :-)
  • laurad1406
    laurad1406 Posts: 341
    Options
    maybe lemon/lime juice, or a homemade cilantro/lime vinegarette?
  • Perfectlycrooked
    Perfectlycrooked Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    There's loads of light dressings! I buy yogurt based Bolthouse Farms. It's delicioussss(:
    I have the honey mustard dressing and it's 45 cals per 2 tablespoons.
  • missdune
    missdune Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's has a great variety of low-cal (example, 45 calories for 2T) that don't have that low-cal after taste :)
  • kris10e
    kris10e Posts: 2
    Options
    Kraft Free and Kraft Light dressings are usually very good. I like the "free" honey dijon (2T=50cals) and the "free" caesar italian (2T=25cals). Light zesty italian is good too (2T=25cals) and my very favorite is Light Three Cheese Ranch (2T=70cals). Hope you find some that you like :)
  • lauraleenaft
    Options
    I really like the kens steak house raspberry wallnut vinegrette!
  • Kaylovely612
    Options
    balsamic vinnaigrette goes well with most salads and isn't too high in calories. There's usually some good ones by where the bagged salads are.
  • CatchThatKitten
    Options
    If you have a Penzey's Spices near you, they have great salad dressing bases that you can tweak to your fat/calorie liking :-). They even come with recipes! I also have never had a Ken's Steakhouse lite that I didn't like.
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I make my own dressings always, so easy, tastier n u know what you are eating. I don't do no fat yadda yadda but if I feel I have to I will dilute it with some water if I feel this is absolutely necessary...

1 measure mustard, pinch salt, 0.5 measue red wine vinegar, olive oil and rapeseed oil mixed whisk to an emulsion, little chilli powder (or piment d'espellette if u can get it), whatever fresh herbs I fancy (or even just dried herbs de provence) and then put in some water if I feel the need.

You won't go back to e number city pre prepared sauces, enjoy.
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I make my own dressings always, so easy, tastier n u know what you are eating. I don't do no fat yadda yadda but if I feel I have to I will dilute it with some water if I feel this is absolutely necessary...

1 measure mustard, pinch salt, 0.5 measue red wine vinegar, olive oil and rapeseed oil mixed whisk to an emulsion, little chilli powder (or piment d'espellette if u can get it), whatever fresh herbs I fancy (or even just dried herbs de provence) and then put in some water if I feel the need.

You won't go back to e number city pre prepared sauces, enjoy.
  • grabacokelaurie
    Options
    This may sound weird, but I take 2 tbsp. of garlic hummus & add H20 to make it a consistency of a creamy dressing. I use it every night on my salad : ) You have to watch the sodium in the FF dressings - it is usually very high - that is why I quit using them.
  • soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I like the spray on dressing made by wishbone.
  • mummyflippers
    Options
    I like to make my own dressing too, I just use less oil nowadays than I used to. Sometimes I do olive oil, dijon mustard and red wine vinegar, but most of the time I use balsamic vinegar. Yum.
  • comcatee
    comcatee Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    trader joe's fat free balsamic vinaigrette: 25 calories per 2 tbsp serving
  • laurad1406
    laurad1406 Posts: 341
    Options
    maybe lemon/lime juice, or a homemade cilantro/lime vinegarette?

Salt, peper and fresh lemon juice is my favorite dressing, bar none (well ranch, but that's off the table...) - not sure how it would be with the cheese, but would compliment the shrimp!

that's what i was thinking! Between the shrimp and avocado, I think a fresh citrus vinegarette is delicious!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Newman's makes an awesome light balsamic vinaigrette: http://www.newmansown.com/product_detail.aspx?productid=10