I'm Starving!!!

Options

Replies

• leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I am 35 years old, 5'3, and 195 lbs. Looking to lose about 20 lbs for now. Right now my activity is low. I had been walking every morning which is really the only chance I have to exercise with a full time job and 3 kids. But, I have not walked at all in the last two weeks as it has become more and more dark in the morning during the time that I have to go. Not comfortable walking in the dark.

I wouldn't walk in the dark either. Maybe you can do some YouTube exercise videos.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    OP, you're thread kind of got hijacked, but here's my 2 cents on hunger. When I re-started this journey in January it was with a fierce determination to succeed. Part of that was learning to deal with "feeling" hungry. I'd ask myself if I was truly hungry or just kind of feeling sorry for myself because I could no longer eat with abandon. I started with an aggressive 2 pound/week loss and gradually as the weight came off decreased my goal by 1/2 pound increments. I am close to my goal weight so am now down to 1/2 pound/week and not too worried about losing every week. I still feel hungry now and then, but I know that I am eating well so I try to ignore it. If I can't then I usually just go for a walk, play with the dog, drink a glass of water...anything to distract me from thinking about food.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    This has turned awful talking about rape. To each his own dark or light outside . No one on here needs to understand. It's not that serious. We're just a bunch of strangers. OP was just asking about hunger.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Decided to just stop this cycle of replying.
  • Peregrymj
    Peregrymj Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    OK, putting aside the rape culture talk, if you're uncomfortable going out at night there's plenty of exercises you can do in your living room. There's tons of free exercise videos on YouTube and if you've the room/money an exercise bike can do wonders. My friend likes to put on an episode of a show and just go. Myself, I am a Dance Dance revolution fan.
  • crissy976
    crissy976 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I know everyone is different, but for me, I'm more hungry on the days I DON'T work out in some way. I was also quite hungry the first week or two until my tummy was like, "oh.... I see.... I'm not going to get as much anymore." Just keep with it. One big help, too, is water. If you feel hunger pains coming on, slam a glass of water. Most of the time, your body is actually just thirsty, and we mistake it for hunger. "Food" for thought.... lol
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    Ok so I just started MFP this week and I have been doing a great job in keeping within my daily goals. Initially, MFP put me a t 1200 calories per day for a 2 lb. per week loss, but after talking with some of you and not wanting to set myself for failure or binge eating which I am prone to, I dropped it down to 1 lb per week and 1450 calories per day.

Today I am starving!!!!

I had a turkey wrap with cheese on flatout bread this morning along with my morning coffee. High in protein and some fat which is what is supposed to help with the hunger. Every other day I have been fine. Not starving like this!

Did I restrict too much? I only ate about 1250 calories yesterday which were all mostly before dinner.

Any thought? Advice?

You've only been doing this a week. I found that the first two weeks were the most difficult. Since you have just started give yourself a few weeks for your body to adapt to your new way of eating.

You have gotten some really great advice on this thread already. If MFP gave you that 1450 number then they expect you to eat back calories for exercise you do above normal everyday activities. Did you calculate your correct activity level? (I like using a TDEE calculator better personally so I don't have to "eat back" calories.)

It appears that you are trying to change your macros around to see if that helps with your satiety. I have found that high carb/low fat made me hungry. High protein/low fat also made me hungry. But low carb/high fat blunted my appetite and regulated my hunger.

I've recently readjusted and switched to keeping the low carb lunch to keep early afternoon cravings away. But I'm including a small serving of starchy vegetables like beans, potatoes, rice, or low glycemic pasta, etc with dinner so I can eat what my family eats. As long as I eat the starchy carb with protein and fiber I don't get the cravings soon after eating dinner.

As you go along you will find what works best for you. If something doesn't work, then try something else. What works for one person won't necessarily work for another. I like intermittent fasting and skip breakfast. But a lot of people love breakfast and could never give it up, for instance.

Don't get upset by fluctuations or changes up or down within a few pounds. That is normal. Instead look at the trend downward and weight loss over time.

• DebSozo
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    OP, you're thread kind of got hijacked, but here's my 2 cents on hunger...

Not really. OP brought up the subject by saying she isn't comfortable walking in the dark. As women, we are taught to stay in well lit areas, be alert, and keep aware of surroundings.
  • Red_Pill
    Red_Pill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    You could be less aggressive with the weight loss and bump your calories up. Use IIFYM calculator. It's much more realistic with macros.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Ok so I just started MFP this week and I have been doing a great job in keeping within my daily goals. Initially, MFP put me a t 1200 calories per day for a 2 lb. per week loss, but after talking with some of you and not wanting to set myself for failure or binge eating which I am prone to, I dropped it down to 1 lb per week and 1450 calories per day.

Today I am starving!!!!

I had a turkey wrap with cheese on flatout bread this morning along with my morning coffee. High in protein and some fat which is what is supposed to help with the hunger. Every other day I have been fine. Not starving like this!

Did I restrict too much? I only ate about 1250 calories yesterday which were all mostly before dinner.

Any thought? Advice?

Well, you ate below your goal yesterday so that might leave you hungry today. You could eat those 200 calories today. Look at your weekly calories as well as daily.

For exercise that is not outside in the dark-
    Tons of free workout videos on You Tube.
    You could walk around inside your home with zero risk. I often set a timer and turn on music or a podcast and walk around the house for awhile. The scenery doesn't change but it is still exercise... maybe invest in a treadmill.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »

Not really. OP brought up the subject by saying she isn't comfortable walking in the dark. As women, we are taught to stay in well lit areas, be alert, and keep aware of surroundings.

Yes, walking at night became the topic, not her original question. The conversation digressed and wasn't really helpful to her at all other than confirming or questioning her decision to not walk at night. She said she doesn't like to walk at night, end of discussion.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    OP, you've gotten great advice for balancing out your caloric intake by managing your calories weekly.

If that doesn't work, you could also try different balances of carbs/fats/proteins to see what fills you up better. While you're doing that, try to round out your meals with lots of low calorie, high fiber vegetables. Fiber tends to help most people feel full in combination with either fat, protein, starch or some combination of all of these (depending on how that person is wired).

Also make sure that you're drinking plenty of water. A lot of people mistake thirst for hunger.

If walking outside is problematic, look up Leslie Sansone videos on youtube.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

Yes, walking at night became the topic, not her original question. The conversation digressed and wasn't really helpful to her at all other than confirming or questioning her decision to not walk at night. She said she doesn't like to walk at night, end of discussion.

I agree actually, should have focused more on the OPs question and stopped the cycle of replies earlier by just ceasing to reply.
  • DebSozo
    Options

I'm agreeing that no one needs to question OP or safety decisions made by anyone as a matter of fact . People are trying to be supportive of her.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »

I agree actually, should have focused more on the OPs question and stopped the cycle of replies earlier by just ceasing to reply.

Yeah. The "I don't get it" response is what caused people to try to help you understand.
  • Aaron_K123
    edited October 2016
    Options

Yeah. The "I don't get it" response is what caused people to try to help you understand.

I think the conversation that was had was fine and I don't regret that (unless I caused offense and then I do regret that). I just agree not the place for it. Speaking of which, probably not the time for this meta post-game analysis style breakdown of it either so I'll stop responding there as well :smile:
  • DebSozo
    edited October 2016
    Options

---Speaking of which, probably not the time for this meta posit-game analysis style breakdown of it either :smile:
    True. Everything that needed to be said has already been verbalized. Apologies
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    Do you have a dog you can walk with? or borrow a friends dog? How about bike riding? carry pepper spray.
    What I did so i won't be hungry is found food that are filling for me & eat snacks in between. Example for me is microwaved potato, large serving of veggie and a protein, chicken, beef, ground turkey, etc then a big glass of water & in less then 20min I'm full. Recently i've been making 1/2 C oatmeal(dry measurement) with 1 Tbl of sugar free jam & tub of my coffee creamer added at night. The best thing for me is making fruit/veggie shakes in our nutribullit. I use lite yogurt, unsweetened almond milk, spinach, carrots, zucchini & frozen tropical fruit. Hubby adds nuts & flaxseed, cerlery. you can add whatever you want.