Saying No to Soda and Yes to Water

Options
Starting tomorrow I will be saying no to Soda and Drinking Water. I know I can do this I stopped drinking Mountain Dew 5 years ago cold turkey and it was hard at first but I haven't had one since and I know soda is not good for you. Thank god I have great support at home as my son who's 17 years old and my husband both want to also stop drinking soda as well, what great support for me. please feel free to add me as a friend as I'm always looking for new friends.

Replies

• lizandrashaw
    lizandrashaw Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Dropping the soda is a great thing to do for yourself! Congratulations on this decision. I like fresh squeezed lime or lemon in my water, but I also love the taste of it plain.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of soda water/club soda with a squeeze of lemon or lime juice. Nice and bubbly and refreshing.
  • tigerfit99
    tigerfit99 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Yes I will be going to Sparkling Waters such as Sparkling Ice tried one today very good, My No Sugar or Aspartame Energy Drinks to mix in my water I know I can kick the soda habit.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Are you worried about dental health?
  • tigerfit99
    Options
    Yes I already have an upper denture
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Then anything that raises the ph of your mouth between meals should be avoided, e.g. Added fruit, as well as carbonation

But during meal times all good :)
  • Red_Pill
    Red_Pill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Not all fruits. Apples, apricots, bananas, berries, cantaloupe, cherries, dates, grapefruit, guavas, lemons, limes, loquats, mangos, nectarines, olives, oranges, papayas, passion fruit, peaches, pears, pineapple, pomegranates, all melons, raisins, tangerines, and tomatoes are fine. They're all alkaline fruits.
  • kaylaschmittfit
    kaylaschmittfit Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It is a struggle! I went without soda-- I only have ever drank diet, but I went without for over a year & now when I have it on occasion it tastes like such a sweet treat!
  • tigerfit99
    Options
    Ya I have only had one in the past 3 days and I can tell I'm going to try and kick that habit as I know it's not good for you
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Red_Pill wrote: »
    Not all fruits. Apples, apricots, bananas, berries, cantaloupe, cherries, dates, grapefruit, guavas, lemons, limes, loquats, mangos, nectarines, olives, oranges, papayas, passion fruit, peaches, pears, pineapple, pomegranates, all melons, raisins, tangerines, and tomatoes are fine. They're all alkaline fruits.

This is untrue regarding how the fruits behave in your mouth. Some of these fruits are less acidic than others and are not as bad for your teeth, but many of the ones in your list are acidic in your mouth and can cause acid erosion of your enamel if you do not practice proper dental hygiene. Especially grapefruits, lemons, limes, mangos, oranges, pineapple, tangerines, and tomatoes. Many of them are specifically mentioned by the American Dental Association.

http://www.mouthhealthy.org/en/nutrition/food-tips/9-Foods-That-Damage-Your-Teeth (this is the ADA's website but for some reason they only had a slideshow)

https://www.deltadentalins.com/oral_health/acid_wear.html

http://foodsafety.wisc.edu/business_food/files/approximate_ph.pdf (anything below a pH of 7 is considered acidic)

@Sued0nim gave good advice:
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Then anything that raises the ph of your mouth between meals should be avoided, e.g. Added fruit, as well as carbonation

But during meal times all good :)

• chandramiller68
    chandramiller68 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I had horrible acid reflux. So I started cutting out things I thought could be aggravating it. I still have it occasionally, but it turns out sodas were the main culprit. I haven't had one in over 2 years.
  • maryannklasna
    maryannklasna Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I gave up soda about a year ago...I really didn't drink it to excess but drank 1 can daily. I don't miss it at all. I drink a lot of water and also Crystal light.