Please help

Options
I wish I could post a picture butt I'm really needing help so here's my goals.

My carbohydrates are at 95 grams equaling 25%. My protein is that 208 Grams equaling 55%. And my fats are at 34 grams equaling 20%.
My calorie goal is around 1500 per day, my current weight is 243, aiming for 2 lbs a week in loss. All around goal weight is 150 (eventally), and I am lightly active.

I just want to be sure these are ideal goals for losing weight before I actually start following them. Any help, or suggestions would be wonderful. TIA

Replies

• brittanienicole211
    brittanienicole211 Posts: 10 Member
    Options

My carbohydrates are at 95 grams equaling 25%. My protein is that 208 Grams equaling 55%. And my fats are at 34 grams equaling 20%.
    My calorie goal is around 1500 per day, my current weight is 243, aiming for 2 lbs a week in loss. All around goal weight is 150 (eventally), and I am lightly active.

I just want to be sure these are ideal goals for losing weight before I actually start following them. Any help, or suggestions would be wonderful. TIA

ASK. Always Seeking Knowledge.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    That protein goal is about double what you need. The suggestion is .8-1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass. For many females that's 100-120 grams. I wouldn't really worry about exact fat or carbs, just make it comfortable for yourself.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Are you diabetic? Pre-diabetic? PCOS?

If not, i see absolutely no reason whatsoever to go so low carb and high protein. First of all, when people generally go "low carb" they go high-fat NOT high protein. I'm not going to say that you're on your way to high uric acid levels or gout, but.... i'm just saying.

There is absolutely no reason to go low carb. Carbs are our bodies most easily used source of fuel. By not eating enough carbohydrates you're focing your body to use the protein sources you are eating for energy.

Not only is there no reason to go low carb or such high protein, I personally would feel absolutely freaking horrible eating those macros. No energy, low amounts of micronutrients, i can't even imagine how my digestion would be.

NOW, this being said, i don't think that fat is *too low* (20-30% being the recommendation by the USDA), and this *does* allow you to reach your protein requirements. So do i think this will kill you? No. If you can actually sustain this and this is your normal eating pattern then i guess there's no harm.

In my experience AND based on the recommendations by the USDA a macronutrient ratio of *around* 40%c, 30%p, and 30%f allows most people to meet the necessary minimum intake for amino acids and maintain a positive nitrogen balance, enough fat to cover the essential fatty acids and aid in micronutrient absorption, and enough carbohydrates for energy. In general, focusing on hitting the proper calories first while incorporating the foods we know and love BEFORE focusing on macronutrients seems to work best as far as weight maintenance.

• brittanienicole211
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

If not, i see absolutely no reason whatsoever to go so low carb and high protein. First of all, when people generally go "low carb" they go high-fat NOT high protein. I'm not going to say that you're on your way to high uric acid levels or gout, but.... i'm just saying.

There is absolutely no reason to go low carb. Carbs are our bodies most easily used source of fuel. By not eating enough carbohydrates you're focing your body to use the protein sources you are eating for energy.

Not only is there no reason to go low carb or such high protein, I personally would feel absolutely freaking horrible eating those macros. No energy, low amounts of micronutrients, i can't even imagine how my digestion would be.

NOW, this being said, i don't think that fat is *too low* (20-30% being the recommendation by the USDA), and this *does* allow you to reach your protein requirements. So do i think this will kill you? No. If you can actually sustain this and this is your normal eating pattern then i guess there's no harm.

In my experience AND based on the recommendations by the USDA a macronutrient ratio of *around* 40%c, 30%p, and 30%f allows most people to meet the necessary minimum intake for amino acids and maintain a positive nitrogen balance, enough fat to cover the essential fatty acids and aid in micronutrient absorption, and enough carbohydrates for energy. In general, focusing on hitting the proper calories first while incorporating the foods we know and love BEFORE focusing on macronutrients seems to work best as far as weight maintenance.

So maybe up my fats and lower my protien? I'm not necessarily trying to low carb, I was just trying to make sure I got enough protien because I want to build muscle while losing weight to avoid excess skin (biggest fear)...
  • brittanienicole211
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    That protein goal is about double what you need. The suggestion is .8-1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass. For many females that's 100-120 grams. I wouldn't really worry about exact fat or carbs, just make it comfortable for yourself.

Ok, thank you. I thought it was .8 grams for each pound of body weight, making mine like 194...it's clear I need to lower my protien. Lol
  • rainbowbow
    Options

So maybe up my fats and lower my protien? I'm not necessarily trying to low carb, I was just trying to make sure I got enough protien because I want to build muscle while losing weight to avoid excess skin (biggest fear)...

unfortunately, you are not going to be "building muscle" while losing fat. Excess skin has to do with your age, how long you've been overweight, your genetics, etc. There's not really anything you can do to prevent it, if it happens it happens.

And as suggested, no, i would go with the USDA recommendation which seems to work for most. You can move carbs around a little depending on your preference, but there is no additional benefit for eating more than is necessary in protein (about .8-1.2 g per pound of LEAN MUSCLE MASS).
  • brittanienicole211
    Options
    Thank you guys for helping me so quickly. Now im gonna go eat breakfast... lol
  • rainbowbow
    Options

Ok, thank you. I thought it was .8 grams for each pound of body weight, making mine like 194...it's clear I need to lower my protien. Lol

no, it's per pound of lean body mass. this means the amount your body would weigh without the excess body fat.

so, for example a woman who weighs 120 pounds and has a body fat of 25% has only 90 pounds of lean body mass. And 30 pounds of body fat. Based on your current weight your body fat percentage is probably significantly higher than 25%.

Here's a quick visual guide if you don't know your percentage right now:
    BF-Female.jpg
  • brittanienicole211
    Options

unfortunately, you are not going to be "building muscle" while losing fat. Excess skin has to do with your age, how long you've been overweight, your genetics, etc. There's not really anything you can do to prevent it, if it happens it happens.

And as suggested, no, i would go with the USDA recommendation which seems to work for most. You can move carbs around a little depending on your preference, but there is no additional benefit for eating more than is necessary in protein (about .8-1.2 g per pound of LEAN MUSCLE MASS).

I thought if you lose weight too quickly it can cause the skin to not bounce back as fast or however it's explained. I also thought that's what weight training was for, to build muscle to help lose fat....
  • rainbowbow
    Options

I thought if you lose weight too quickly it can cause the skin to not bounce back as fast or however it's explained. I also thought that's what weight training was for, to build muscle to help lose fat....

yes, certainly you don't want to lose too fast (beyond 1% of your total body weight per week), but this doesn't guarantee you won't have excess skin. It really comes down to genetics, your age, and how long you've been overweight.

And no, weight training is to help with retention of the muscle mass you already have.
  • JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    Options

You can build muscle, and lose weight at the same time. I was 172lbs LBM at 250lbs I definitely didn't start there.
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Here's a quick visual guide if you don't know your percentage right now:
    BF-Female.jpg

Hey this is pretty cool. I'm a visual person and never could get the body fat thing. This helps a lot. I may not like what I'm seeing ... but I can now see the end result when I'm done!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    If excess skin after weight loss is going to be a concern, losing the weight s-l-o-w-l-y can give you more of a chance to make the best out of whatever your age, genetics and starting weight will have already pre-determined.

Oh, and a good moisturizer wouldn't hurt, either. ;)
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    JoshD8705 wrote: »

You can build muscle, and lose weight at the same time. I was 172lbs LBM at 250lbs I definitely didn't start there.

the science i've seen suggests otherwise.

some small muscle gains can happen with complete newbies and untrained individuals, but a calorie surplus is required for "building muscle". This doesn't even take into account the fact that most of these obese have huge amounts of muscle mass (especially in the legs and calves) just to carry around and support their weight.
  • brittanienicole211
    Options
    Ok. I'm all set then. Thank you everyone!
    Idk how to post a pic in my comment but I've got it set at 40c, 30p, 30f.
  • brittanienicole211
    Options
    Percentage, that is.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options

Use your goal weight or the ideal weight for your height (you can find this on a bmi chart to calculate protein), NOT YOUR CURRENT WEIGHT.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Very low fat very high protein, not sure why you selected such extremes there....you may struggle with that and there is no need for that macro split. Keep in mind past getting sufficient protein (probably like 90g for you) and some fats there isn't a need to stick to a specific macro split, just eat a macro split your comfortable with once you've gotten enough protein.

1500 calories a day is pretty aggressive. If you exercise at all make sure you eat more to compensate.
  • BrittneyLervig
    BrittneyLervig Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    We have similiar stats! My name is Brittney Nichole also! Lol I started at 242 last November 8, 2015 with an ultimate goal weight of 150-160. I also started at 1,500 cals/day. I just recently dropped them to 1,400. As of this morning, I am 181.2.
    I do not count c/p/f so it'll be interesting to see how your results will differ! Good luck! :)
  • JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    JoshD8705 wrote: »

the science i've seen suggests otherwise.

some small muscle gains can happen with complete newbies and untrained individuals, but a calorie surplus is required for "building muscle". This doesn't even take into account the fact that most of these obese have huge amounts of muscle mass (especially in the legs and calves) just to carry around and support their weight.

In the long term a deficit will lead to muscle loss, but you can gain lean mass during a short term deficit, without it being newb gainzzz. Besides most people asking these type of questions are probably due some newb gainzzz.