Caffeine and weight loss?

Options

Replies

• nagvalis
    nagvalis Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I use caffeine tablets (200mg) for weight loss, as I can't drink regular coffee (the taste is too strong for me, even with all the creamers and sugar). The pills help me suppress my appetite.
  • Domomallow
    Domomallow Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I quite enjoy coffee... and I'm right on track with my weight loss. I also use cream and stevia. Like previous posters said- I just account for it in my calorie allotment. I don't think it affects my efforts any more than other items of the same caloric value.
  • gkingbr
    gkingbr Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I enjoy plain coffee. Quite frankly I probably could not function without it 

a lot of people are shocked with how caloric the "coffee" drinks form Starbucks but it’s not the coffee that has all the calories it it the additives …cream and sugar
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I cut back on caffeine. It wasn't for weight loss, but more part of my attempt to just have a much healthier lifestyle.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Caffeine is one of the few things actually beneficial for weight loss as it can support increased intensity during a workout.
  • eIIekay
    eIIekay Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    they used to say coffee was bad (maybe because of the diuretic effect)....many studies say its now beneficial (and now say a cup of coffee is still like drinking water). i love coffee and i drink it black (though sometimes ill have cream and sugar if im out and buying one at lunch...its a treat.
  • Starman02
    Starman02 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    i cut coffee and energy drinks out - not for weight loss but because I hate being dependent on it. My keurig exploded my coffee a while back - it literally ruined my entire day because i couldn't have a coffee. Plus i was a little over excessive... coffee all day and drinking 1-4 zero sugar / cal energy drinks a day. I'm glad i'm not drinking it anymore and i find myself craving my water instead- even downing over a litre before 9am!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    There is no compelling reason to cut coffee/caffeine from your diet unless you have a medical issue or some type of intolerance to it.

Caffeine dehydrates, therefore if one would avoid drinking caffeine while dieting and drink only water, he/she would notice weightloss on the scale due to water loss.

This is false.

http://europepmc.org/abstract/MED/12187618
    caffeine consumption stimulates a mild diuresis similar to water, but there is no evidence of a fluid-electrolyte imbalance that is detrimental to exercise performance or health. Investigations comparing caffeine (100-680 mg) to water or placebo seldom found a statistical difference in urine volume. In the 10 studies reviewed, consumption of a CB resulted in 0-84% retention of the initial volume ingested, whereas consumption of water resulted in 0-81% retention.

http://europepmc.org/abstract/MED/12834577
    It is relatively safe and has no known negative performance effects, nor does it cause significant dehydration or electrolyte imbalance during exercise.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    eirikra wrote: »
    Hello all,

Over the last couple of days, I've seen quite a few people mentioning that they are trying to cut coffee out of their diet to help weight loss. So far, however, no one has pointed out precisely why caffeine is bad weight loss. I drink at least three cups of coffee a day, and I dread the idea of staying clear of the wonder that coffee is.

What's the deal with weight loss and coffee? Surely, moderate amounts shouldn't be a major obstacle to losing a few lbs a month?

Most of the people I see cutting out coffee aren't really cutting out coffee...they're cutting out what basically amounts to a sugar and fat laden coffee flavored desert...

You say it likes it's a bad thing. :tongue:
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I recently added coffee into my day, I've been a tea drinker my whole life. Having a cup of coffee or two in the afternoon helps me get over the munchies, especially when i add in a small scoop of protein powder. Plus it gives me an extra oomph of energy. I still prefer tea, but it doesn't give me the aforementioned benefits like coffee does.
  • skyice1987
    skyice1987 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    coffee will increase the metabolism activity. I could say it's good for losing weight.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    skyice1987 wrote: »
    coffee will increase the metabolism activity. I could say it's good for losing weight.

Its a stimulant but the effects on metabolism are minuscule that it really won't have a noticeable impact on metabolism.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I occasionally have coffee or another caffeine source with my workouts for the extra drive.
    Sometimes it is a mug of good Irish tea (mostly assam) or even a caffeine pill.

Caffeine might do something for your energy levels or your appetite but I don't think it really does much for your metabolic rate.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    I occasionally have coffee or another caffeine source with my workouts for the extra drive.
    Sometimes it is a mug of good Irish tea (mostly assam) or even a caffeine pill.

Caffeine might do something for your energy levels or your appetite but I don't think it really does much for your metabolic rate.

Correct, studies on caffeine alone fail to show more than a very weak thermogenic effect, but it works great as a pre-workout!
  • mollosa
    mollosa Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I can't drink it black, so I was having at least 3 coffees a day with cream. I am on metformin for PCOS and was reacting badly to the dairy, so I have cut down to one a day and the rest of the day I have green tea. In the 2 weeks I cut down I have lost 3.2kg. I was allowing for the cream in my calories (1200 total a day) so I do wonder if the caffeine was messing with my hormones?
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I have about three cups every day with half and half (cream for those who don't know our weird USA names for things). I log the cream. Sometimes I'll have a cup of tea or two in the afternoon, too. It's had zero effect on my weight loss or appetite -- and it's delicious.

Double hazelnut mochaccinos with extra whipped cream and an extra squirt or two of flavoring syrups are, however, a different matter. But then, those abominations are not coffee. :D
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,991 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    BLACK coffee is essentially calorie free, is an excellent pre-workout stimulant and "may" function as a diuretic and appetite suppressant.

Coffee is only a weight gain concern if you add sugar, cream or whatever else goes into your coffee cocktail of choice.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    eirikra wrote: »
    Hello all,

Over the last couple of days, I've seen quite a few people mentioning that they are trying to cut coffee out of their diet to help weight loss. So far, however, no one has pointed out precisely why caffeine is bad weight loss. I drink at least three cups of coffee a day, and I dread the idea of staying clear of the wonder that coffee is.

What's the deal with weight loss and coffee? Surely, moderate amounts shouldn't be a major obstacle to losing a few lbs a month?

Coffee is fine, even with cream and sugar, as long as you stay within your deficit calorie goals.