Restaurant Advice Please

Options
Tomorrow we are going to a birthday dinner at family owned restaurant whose name to claim is their prime rib. It's the most devious prime rib you've ever eaten in your life, and the hunk of meat they put on your platter is obscene. I don't feel comfortable ordering the prime rib as it is so tender it literally melts like butter in your mouth, and I know I will be struggling to stay within my calorie limit. So I'd much rather order something else that is easier for me to feel I have some control over.

The thing is, I don't know what to order. Their website is is not showing a menu, and they ask for patience as they are creating a new menu. All I can remember from their previous menu is bar type foods, ribs, and prime rib. All of which are off the table for me. What would you recommend me to order?

Replies

• purebredpolly
    purebredpolly Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Delicious, not devious! LOL!
  • zilkah
    zilkah Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Im also in the "order it" boat. Just maybe watch a little closer for the rest of the week
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I usually have what I call a cheat meal. But, what usually happens is I work out that morning and am pretty frugal with my calories during the day. When I go out, I eat what I want, but I am more conscious of my decisions, just because that's how I am living. At the end of the day, i log and 9 times out of 10 I barely go over if at all!

If you don't enjoy a celebration or two... you won't last. If it makes you feel better, get the prime rib, cut a smaller portion, and have the waiter box up the rest, right then... they will do that for you. Order a salad before, dressing on the side and that will make the smaller cut more satisfying!

I promise you, you will enjoy yourself so much more when you don't have that stuffed sick feeling at the end of the meal.
  • purebredpolly
    Options
    I'm sorry folks, I can't do that. I have a thyroid condition, and when I thought that I'd do a little bumping of my calories to 1500 to shake things up, I gained weight. No fun for me, but that's my reality. I must stay focused on staying within calories. I thank you for your input, and encourage you to enjoy your cheat meals, but that's just not something I can pull off. Thanks again. :)
  • purebredpolly
    Options
    amfmmama wrote: »
    I usually have what I call a cheat meal. But, what usually happens is I work out that morning and am pretty frugal with my calories during the day. When I go out, I eat what I want, but I am more conscious of my decisions, just because that's how I am living. At the end of the day, i log and 9 times out of 10 I barely go over if at all!

If you don't enjoy a celebration or two... you won't last. If it makes you feel better, get the prime rib, cut a smaller portion, and have the waiter box up the rest, right then... they will do that for you. Order a salad before, dressing on the side and that will make the smaller cut more satisfying!

I promise you, you will enjoy yourself so much more when you don't have that stuffed sick feeling at the end of the meal.

I often make an effort to restrict calories to be able to enjoy a much fuller supper, and I will be doing the same tomorrow. That said, I am not comfortable not having a game plan. This is the very first time I have gone to a restaurant without being able to view a menu online first. :(

• JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    When in doubt find whatever they have with grilled chicken.
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I just feel like the way that you wrote about that prime rib that, if you have a chicken breast... your going to feel deprived. Most restaurants will be pretty flexible.... let you swap out a starch for extra veggies...etc. I applaud your diligence!!
  • JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I just feel like the way that you wrote about that prime rib that, if you have a chicken breast... your going to feel deprived. Most restaurants will be pretty flexible.... let you swap out a starch for extra veggies...etc. I applaud your diligence!!

I tell you what she won't be deprived of if she has the grilled chicken... *flexes* GAINZZZ
  • purebredpolly
    Options

*sigh* Yes well, I suppose I might....but I don't really have the luxury to make poor eating choices with my thyroid. In addition, I am recovering from congestive heart failure due to my thyroid. I am one sick little girl to quote my doctor.
  • purebredpolly
    Options
    JoshD8705 wrote: »
    When in doubt find whatever they have with grilled chicken.

Thanks, going with the grilled chicken if it's on their menu.