Favorite non-pumpkin fall desserts?

Options

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Oh goodie! Food moralizing!!!!

People manage to lose weight without putting health halos on their food all the time. Shocking, I know.

This is dead easy, no measuring involved, and can be used to top ice cream, a plain cake or spice cake, on pancakes or waffles, or as a side dish to meats.

Just peel and slice apples. Simmer in maple syrup (the good stuff) with a teeny pinch of salt until tender. Profit.

Speaking of maple syrup, I've made pecan pie with maple syrup instead of corn syrup.

Life changing.

That sounds so good! I love apples cut in half and cored, then baked with brown sugar and cinnamon. So simmered in maple syrup sounds heavenly.

When I still ate meat, I used to make them to eat with pork chops. It was a tasty combo.

It also became a Thanksgiving side dish staple. They are really tasty.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Oh goodie! Food moralizing!!!!

People manage to lose weight without putting health halos on their food all the time. Shocking, I know.

This is dead easy, no measuring involved, and can be used to top ice cream, a plain cake or spice cake, on pancakes or waffles, or as a side dish to meats.

Just peel and slice apples. Simmer in maple syrup (the good stuff) with a teeny pinch of salt until tender. Profit.

Speaking of maple syrup, I've made pecan pie with maple syrup instead of corn syrup.

Life changing.

That sounds so good! I love apples cut in half and cored, then baked with brown sugar and cinnamon. So simmered in maple syrup sounds heavenly.

When I still ate meat, I used to make them to eat with pork chops. It was a tasty combo.

It also became a Thanksgiving side dish staple. They are really tasty.

I serve maple applesauce as a side to pork chops. It's a great combo. :)
  • faridahmed24
    faridahmed24 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this awesome idea.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Practicing for when you move? :laugh:
  • snickerscharlie
    Options
    We'd better get that wall built. ;)

Unless she brings Talenti. Lots and lots.

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

I'm accepting beer bribes. In the meantime, I'll dig out my hammer and nails. Winter is coming, we better get cracking on that.
  • snickerscharlie
    Options

I'm accepting beer bribes.
    You actually *like* American beer? <faints>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E064kb3UnU

:)
  • snickerscharlie
    Options
    Just thought of another dinner dish I do using maple syrup:

Pan sear ham steaks in a little butter until lightly browned. Remove ham. And a few glugs of real maple syrup to the pan, stir to combine with the butter and then simmer on low heat until the sauce starts to caramelize - don't let it burn. Pour over the ham once plated.

I usually serve it with a side salad and baked beans. :)
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    grape pies
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    billglitch wrote: »
    grape pies

What? Grape pies? Made me Google! Sounds amazing!
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Blueberry lady finger cake. High in calories but has a very light, creamy texture. So good and was always a Thanksgiving dessert growing up.

2 (2 oz.) pkg. cream cheese
    2 pt. heavy cream
    4 pkg. Lady Fingers
    1 can blueberry pie filling

Soften cream cheese; add sugar and whip cream. Beat until mixture forms peaks. Set aside.
    Line bottom and sides of large springform pan with layer of lady fingers. Pour 1/2 of mixture over lady fingers, place another layer of lady fingers over mixture, pour rest of mixture, a layer of lady fingers. Top with pie filling. Refrigerate.
  • billglitch
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    grape pies

What? Grape pies? Made me Google! Sounds amazing!

I live in the Finger lakes region of NY....not NYC and grape pies are easy to find. If you like concord grapes you will love grape pies
  • snickerscharlie
    Options
    grape pies

I absolutely *love* Concord grapes. They are usually called Coronation grapes in Canada. Taste *exactly* like Welch's Grape Juice. I wish they were in season longer. <3
  • flemingl15
    flemingl15 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato casserole, pecan pie, and anything caramel apple :)
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

And halo top. Lots of it.
    CICO.
    Ive lost almost 100lbs ncluding sugar in my diet. Im not agressive, I just hate misinformation BS.
    Warm brownies fresh out of the oven, with some hot chocolate. I also have a gingerbread man tea and a chocolate mint one. Although the teas aren't really dessert, they are awesome on a cold day.
    Yes!
    Im still in it with pecan pie:

Deliciously toasted pecans enrobed in creamy sweet velvety buttery sexiness encased in a crumbly, buttery crust.

@GottaBurnEmAll holy...crap! Maple syrup in a pecan pie? How mch does the maple change the flavour? I'm quite intrigued.

Not as much as you'd think. It's pecan pie, just... maple-y. It's really good. If you love maple as much as my family does.

Yum. I adore maple syrup. I had the real, pure Quebec stuff right from the tree (boiled down, of course) 10 years ago. I was even reluctant to try it as I was used to the "maple syrup" abomination I tried back in Oz at a very famous pancake restaurant.

Now, I love tire d'erable, especially when it is poured on snow. And maple butter? I love that, too.
    Since I love Montreal bagels, maple, poutine, char and tourtiere, am I officially Canadian, eh?

It's so hard to type being so tired and without glasses. I also tured off the ridiculous autocorrect.
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Mincemeat pie.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Grape pie? I dunno.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Grape pie? I dunno.
    This thread has been pretty darn informative. It's introduced me to a lot of new foods. o:)

• billglitch
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Grape pie? I dunno.

it is fairly sweet and Soooooooo good.