not going over my calories but having unhealthy-ish foods...

Options
Hey,

Just a quick question... If I stay within my calorie goal and eat unhealthy-ish food, does this have a bad effect on weight loss. eg.. because I have enough calories , i'm eating my fav food which is cheesy pasta at the moment...

Just now sure If i need to stay aay from these foods aswell even though i have calories?

Thanks =)

Replies

• 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    bump, because I am interested in this topic/debate.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Think of your body as a engine and you need to give it the proper fuels. if you choose these unhealthyish foods you will have less calories for the good stuff. eat those foods in moderation and you should still be happy and so will your body.
  • HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Yes. You have to nourish your body properly. Having some every once in awhile is fine, but eating too much processed food will set you back.
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    empty calories will hinder your weightloss. Sure, it's okay to indulge in some of your fav foods sometimes in moderation... But someone who eats a fruit salad verses a snickers will #1 feel healthier and #2 see longer lasting success on the scale.
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to just lose weight, then it doesn't matter. If you have a calorie deficit, then you will lose. Although if you were eating nutrient-dense foods as opposed to greasy fatty stuff, you would probably boost your metabolism and burn calories at a faster rate.

A far better goal than losing weight would be to attain a healthy body, avoid heart disease, diabetes, auto-immune disorders, and cancer. That would require you to make healthier choices. It is possible to be skinny and incur a lot of these diseases from a life of unhealthy food choices. Every time you choose junk food over natural healthy choices, you are depriving your body of the chance to heal itself and fend off these diseases.

That being said, an occasional serving of cheesey pasta shouldn't hurt you. Best of luck.
  • heatherstiara
    Options
    If I have enough calories, and I want a a cheeseburger, I EAT IT... If you cut yourself off, you're going to end up caving in the long run. Eat it! In moderation, as long as you're in your calorie goal, you will see no negative effects on the scale. :)
  • KourtneyP83
    KourtneyP83 Posts: 319
    Options
    Well my nutritionist told me I could eat whatever I wanted, I just had to count it in my calories. That being said - surely I don't want to blow half my calories on something and then be starving the rest of the day. So, if I want something - I eat it...but a small portion of it! For example, I LOVE coke...the real deal no diet! But if I want one, I drink half...and I count it. That's not every day, but I refuse to deprive myself of the things I love. If I do that, I am never going to change my life because I will eventually binge!
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    I think as long as you stay under your calories you'll be fine, and I'd encourage still eating your favorite stuff in moderation. It mostly boils down to calories in/calories burned and so as far as pure weight loss goes I think your results will be okay. However you should watch your sodium because that can make you retain water which means extra water weight on the scale. :) But I of course wouldn't recommend eating a lot of 'junk' type foods too often because it's just healthier to have nutritious good stuff, and the 'junk' doesn't fill you up as much as the health food so you'll end up wanting to eat more...
  • mrshickey
    mrshickey Posts: 239
    Options
    Hi there, if u add me and look a my diary u will c that I do have unhealthy foods too, but within my calories (I have had a few days where Ive gne over but thats due to me being ill and miserable and comfort eating!!!) I don't see that theres a problem with it because its in moderation. I feel that if I deprive myself of my favourite foods I end up binging later, or not sticking to my plan. Just make sure that u try to have enough fruit and veg (I take a multivitamin just in case)!
  • raychybabe
    raychybabe Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    100 calories of brocolli is not the same as 100 calories of chocolate brownie.......its the levels of fat (saturated especially) and salt you need to look out for.

Like I have someone on my news feed who is usually under her calorie goal, but eats high fat foods like fry ups, fast food, cake etc. I am also usually under my calorie goal but a large proportion of my calories is from oats, veg, fruit, low fat snacks etc.

Indulge when you feel like it, but not all the time. Maybe switch to wholewheat pasta and low fat cheese sauce?
  • editara13
    editara13 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    If you eat the right amount of calories
    the right amounts of carbohydrates
    the right amount of fats
    the right amount of proteins
    the right amount of fibers
    the right amount of iron
    the right amount of sugar
    the right amount of sodium
    the right amounts of vitamins etc.....
    Then you can eat whatever you want :-)

3574379.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • mel_21
    mel_21 Posts: 20
    Options
    Thanks very much everyone, point i'm seeing is i should try to get my body healthy as well as losing the weight I want so thanks for the advice =) xx
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    A lot of info counter than what I've seen that goes against what I've observed in myself and others as well as what I've read, so I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in here.

1 - All calories are not equal. Carbs, proteins, and fats are all handled differently in our body and affect our hormones, which affect weight loss.

2 - Cheating once in a while is fine, but it can lead to a cycle of bad eating if it's not controlled. If you get in the habit of eating healthy foods, and really control your cheats rather than cheating on impulse, imo, you're much better off (ex: I am planning a cheat day this coming Sunday because I won't be home and it'll be very difficult for me to eat 'cleanly'.)

3 - There are so many other things beyond calories that affect how your body functions that you need to take into consideration when choosing foods. Vitamins and minerals for exmaple are hugely important for a healthy body and losing weight. You won't get that stuff from junk food.
  • mother_of_brigade
    mother_of_brigade Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I had a similar question regarding calorie count and too much food. I take a peek at my MFP's diary and I seem to eat WAY more than them and am only over my caloric intake by about 100-200 calories, but those calories are coming from blueberries, grapes, carrots, etc. I let myself eat a handful of almonds and a banana instead of a candy bar or ice cream when I need a sugar hit. Or even a granola bar.

I do give into cravings like some other people said, but in moderation and planning ahead. (everyone needs a little cheat once in a while!)