Auggghhhhhhh!!!!! So frustrated!!!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Hi, OP. I agree with other commenters about taking a diet break, checking accuracy, et al.

I would also suggest monitoring body weight differently. In a week you gained a pound. How often are you weighing? When is TOM? Did you have a high sodium meal the night before you weighed? For me, body weight is the least accurate part of the equasion simply because of normal healthy water weight fluctuation. Try tracking 10-day minimum or 7-day average instead. The fluctuation will freak you out less.

I personally lose at 1/2lb/wk, so it takes me a couple weeks to know if I'm trending the right way. Ifl I flipped out at each weigh in, the whole process would be a lot more frustrating. A broader perspective really helps in this situation
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Now that I know that eating back you exercise calories are not part of the equation, I also second the opinions on taking a diet break.

Think of it this way.. what you are doing is not working, so trying something else.. Maybe consider the diet break or start eating more in terms of changing your rate of loss / eat back your exercise calories,

I might scale back on the exercise some, give my body a break from that too, or perhaps change my exercise regime up to something different for a short while..
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,858 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    An interesting article to consider (don't click on any offers): https://www.muscleforlife.com/reverse-diet/
    <or look up other info on reverse dieting and diet breaks, particularly stuff written by Lyle McDonald>

An ancillary interesting perspective is that the cautious approach advocated during reverse dieting is not necessary, and people can start approximating their maintenance Calorie numbers by eating a number of Calories equal to their body weight in lbs x 14.

Note that traditionally, average maintenance Calories for average people who move and exercise an average amount of time, in an average fashion, daily, corresponds to a multiplier of between 14 and 16 x weight in lbs... on average.

(And yes Christine, if you're reading this, your 20000 steps a day is well above an average amount of movement!)

So 14 is at the low end of that, and leaves room for further more cautious increases once any initial weight gains due to carb re-feeding and additional waste food in the body stabilize. Also people who extensively engaged in very low calorie diets may experience excess water retention as their body works to repair itself

re: trending weight apps. While I personally like trendweight.com and connect it to my free fitbit.com account (no device necessary) www.weightgrapher.com can superimpose a previously selectable time period (defaults to 28 days) so that users can see a picture of their weight change relative to their cycle.

This is useful to the many women who experience a water weight variation of 3-5lbs, some more, throughout their monthly cycle which makes it extremely hard for them to detect a small weight level change due to successful fat loss.

Note that when setting up weightgrapher I suggest that you tell it that you plan to maintain. This avoids unnecessary advice as to whether you're hitting your goals or not.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I didn't even read the other responses...but welcome to my life.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    i literally gave up.. =/ i felt like i was killing myself.

LittleMiss, you might be able to figure out what happened and jump back in and change things up. You're still here, so you haven't completely given up! Hang in there.
  • DebSozo
    edited October 2016
    Options
    When you get down to the last 10 pounds, it's a whole different ball game.
  • RobynTheresa
    RobynTheresa Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Eat more. I aim for NET 1200 calories. I definitely eat to fuel my activity.

Also deload. Do active resting for a week, then do something completely different when you come back.
  • Cheerios0392
    Cheerios0392 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to lose my last 10 pounds for over a year. All I do is lose some, put some back on.. lose again, gain again. Best I have done is maintain. I'm STILL trying to lose 10 pounds but sometimes I wonder why I am bothering.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Implement refeed days or take a diet break. Also do less cardio. Your metabolism could just be tanked.
  • Kurzweil
    Kurzweil Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Raising my goal weight by 10 lbs and declaring myself officially at goal, shifting into maintenance, was one of the best things I've done. It took me time to emotionally accept it and recognize it wasn't a failure to change my goal, and it isn't permanent if I decide to lose more later, I can. I was putting so much pressure on stress on myself as I got into that last 10-15 lbs that it was really sabotaging me.

I dropped 5 more pounds pretty easily as I shifted into maintenance slowwwwwwly - pounds I was struggling with when I perceived myself in losing mode.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    It wasn't until I shifted from "active weight loss" into "maintenance" that I finally relaxed also, Kurzweil. The stress and frustration lifted inmediately. It was a real break for me physically and mentally.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    That up-down weight pattern is normal. When you're losing fast, it looks like fast weeks and slow weeks. Then as your loss slows, it looks like some weeks you lose and others you stall. Then as your loss slows further, it looks like some weeks you lose and others you gain. But it's just the water fluctuating and has nothing to do with fat loss. You need to let go of the day-to-day scale readings and get at the underlying trend. I strongly recommend using a trend app.
  • JoeCWV
    JoeCWV Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Stop exercising for two or three days while continuing your calorie deficit. It will come off. You are exercising a lot which means your body is in a constant state of repair which means you are likely retaining water. Taking a few days off from the gym will allow your body to repair itself and release the retained water.

If this does not work, then you are not eating at a deficit.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,646 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I don't eat back exercise calories. I eat 1350 solid. I count EVERYTHING, obsessively. If my 2 year old feeds me 4 goldfish crackers, I log it. I burn nearly 100 cals a mile when I run -
    Sunday - ran 10 miles =1000 exercise
    Monday - Jillian Michaels 30 day shred (level 3)
    Tuesday - ran 6 miles and did JM level 3
    Wednesday rested
    Thursday - ran 6 miles and did JM level 3
    Friday - ran 3 miles and did JM level 3
    Saturday - resting so I can run 12 miles tomorrow.
    I've lost 29 lbs before hitting this insane slow down. It was a steady 1lb a week before... Now it's 1lb a month for the past 4 mos and it's making me feel crazy. I want to give up the dieting side and just eat to maintain. I'm sick of working this hard to "earn" a number on the scale.
    I feel so frustrated when I am with people - and they're eating food, and I'm eating like a rabbit. If I work out like I do, I wonder if I should just give up the restricted calories for a while and just eat back my exercise cals. I'd LOVE to eat 2000 on a day I run 10+ miles.
    Undereating has caught up with you. Your body is now reacting by leveling off metabolic rate, also known as homeostasis. It will utilize the calories afforded to it by lowering metabolic rate at rest, which is where you burn the most body fat.
    When this happens with clients, especially after a few months of solid calorie deficit, I have then eat maintenance calories (including exercise calories) for a week or so. And guess what? Weight loss restarts.
    Also, don't under eat. Realize that if you're not getting in enough calories, you may be compromising losing more lean tissue which lowers your resting metabolic rate even more.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• mengqiz86
    mengqiz86 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Regarding running calories... I started at 130lb/5'6" and per my heart rate monitor I burn only 75kcal/mile running. 100/mile may be an overestimate?

That said, I was living your life. wanted to lose 5lb and for 7 months, nothing. Over the 6 weeks I stopped weighing my food and myself, and focused on mindful eating. I never let my "diet" go, but I stopped sweating every oz of food. I dropped an inch on my waist/thighs. I didn't bother weighing myself, but I feel good about the new approach it's not driving me crazy and I find it sustainable. At this point you are probably better off finding a sustainable approach to food that you don't mind sticking to - for life.