C25K..just keeps getting harder

Options
tandroes
tandroes Posts: 163 Member
I'm on my 6th week of couch to 5k, but i messed up on week 5 last week and did the first day 3 times, so i'm doing week 5 over this week, but today is the second day and it says run 3/4 mile or 8 minutes! I mean, running 5 minutes has been hard! When did everyone else start feeling like it's super hard? I think running around the neighborhood is easier than the track because on the track i know exactly how much farther i have to run before i can stop. (my husband is doing it with me and times us on the street so i'm not constantly looking at the time) any advice on how to push through it?

Replies

• auntv77
    auntv77 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Are you running with music? Find your favorite 2 songs - that is about 8 minutes! And as a reward for finishing the week you get to download a new song? That is my reward for weight goals, fitness goals, etc. New music = new motivation!
  • wigglentwink
    wigglentwink Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound very strange, but stick with me.

When you start running longer distances, you have to be in the right "headspace." If you are thinking about time or distance, you are focusing on the wrong thing. Set the timer and think about anything else in the whole world. You have to be relaxed, drop your shoulders a little, breathe big and go for it. If you have to look at the timer, you will be pleasantly surprised about how far you went when you weren't focusing on it. I ran 4.89 MILES the other day doing just that...and I am a fatty!! Can you BELIEVE IT! Also, I usually like to run by myself since I am ultra competitive and don't like to be "behind" or slower than anyone. I find I run much faster on my own than I do in a group or with a partner. It's easier to zone out.
  • LessMe2B
    LessMe2B Posts: 316
    Options
    Curios to know what people have to say here, as I'm just finishing week 2 and thinking week 3 looks like a big jump in running (3 minutes). :noway:
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I don't run for distance at all. I'm too slow, so I stick to time. I also use a podcast that tells you when to run and when to walk, which helps if looking at your watch is a problem for you. I personally like to see how much time I have left. Makes me concentrate on keeping my feet moving. I think so far, week 5 has been the hardest in terms of endurance. 8 minutes is a long time to run. (I'm on week 6). 20 minutes felt like forever, but you can do it. It's around week 4 or 5 that it becomes a mental challenge more than a physical one. Just keep telling yourself to keep your feet moving and you'll be fine. Don't worry about speed at all. C25k does get harder in some ways, but easier in others. I thought I would die after week 1 day 1, but running for a minute is easier..I mean, I can do at least 20 now. It's harder because it becomes mind over matter. If you can keep your feet moving when your head is screaming for you to stop, you've got it made.
  • ukhennin
    ukhennin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Week 4, when you actually started running more than walking, is when it got hard for me. I also strained a calf muscle while strength training so that didn't help either. It still feels so good though when you finish a day that you didn't think you would make it through.
  • flea2449
    flea2449 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing you did on week 5! I'm glad I wasn't the only one! LOL!! Yes, it's hard but you have to be your own coach. Talk yourself through it and you will make it. I never would have thought I could jog 20 minutes straight, but I did it! You can do it!
  • kiwicakes
    kiwicakes Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I used to jog a little bit when I was in college, so it didn't get hard for me until the 25 min run. I think it was W6D3, I was stuck on it for a week, I'm at W8D2 now, I'm sorry to say but it just doesn't get any easier...

What helped me though is running slowly, I think at one point I was running less than 5m/hr... but it helped me kept on running the whole time. Once you are able to go without stopping, you can then focus on speed.

Don't give up, just stick with it, eventually you will build endurance.
  • missxlaur
    missxlaur Posts: 286
    Options
    I just finished Day 2 of Week 4 and I find it to be very hard, but doable. I'm doing it on a treadmill and running between 6-6.5 mph for my running intervals, but I think that next week (Week 5) when I have to run for longer than 5 min I might slow it down a little. I also agree with the comment about the headspace. The more you think about the time or distance, the longer it takes to do. Literally think about anything else, sing your favorite workout songs out loud, watch tv, think about tv, do anything other than think about the time.

Hope that helps!
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Curios to know what people have to say here, as I'm just finishing week 2 and thinking week 3 looks like a big jump in running (3 minutes). :noway:
    It is a big jump; that transition was probably the hardest for me, but you can do it, I promise!
  • CeejayGee
    CeejayGee Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I got to week 4 and it was too hard. But yet, at the same time, I felt like C25K wasn't reallly pushing me enough. Strange that those things can exist at the same time...but, they did. I felt like they were requiring too much in terms of time intervals, but that I could have done a lot more shorter intervals for a longer period of time overall. So, I just started doing my own thing - running really short intervals for a long period of time. In a few weeks, I'll probably go back to C25k, but not yet. I'm also jus tworking on endurance in walking - how can I expect to run 5k if I can't comfortably walk it, etc. This past week I walked 3-4 miles every single day, just working on endurance. At some point, I"ll add the "speed" of running.
  • missxlaur
    missxlaur Posts: 286
    Options
    What helped me though is running slowly, I think at one point I was running less than 5m/hr... but it helped me kept on running the whole time. Once you are able to go without stopping, you can then focus on speed.

AGREED
  • jennyocox
    jennyocox Posts: 143
    Options
    I'm on week 3. I just look straight ahead and focus on the end of the road and my breathing. I actually find it relaxing to focus on my breathing. I can't listen to music because I get too distracted and when I get distracted I'm more likely to get hurt :(

I agree with the 'concentrate on something else' theory though. The more I check the time the harder it seems to be. If I focus on distance instead I find it easier.
  • tandroes
    Options
    that's a good idea.. i run with my husband though so i'd feel bad... but we could both use our ipods...
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Week 5 was hard for me as well. I had to really slow down, which was difficult to do running outdoors. That's the one good thing about a treadmill--you can set a reasonable pace and keep it!
  • Britt22706
    Britt22706 Posts: 97
    Options
    When I did C25k I was never a runner, but I powered through this! You can do it!! BIG TIP: don't run faster than your body will allow you, If you start to feel tired, slooooow on down. Your body will eventually get used to it and be able to run at a faster pace for longer, but for now, I would just go just faster than a fast walk, and you should be able to do the entire time!
  • JRena225
    JRena225 Posts: 373
    Options
    I'm on week 2 day 2 and thought I was gonna die the first time I started lol. And when I went to week 2, I was like oh no, they done added another 30 seconds!!! But i'm doing it and thats the main thing!
  • JenBrown0210
    JenBrown0210 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I absolutely loved couch two 5k. It is the reason I can now run a 5k. I didn't follow the program exactly though. I found it hard to run and then stop and then run. So at week 4 I started running for about 10 minutes then walk 2 run 10. . I did that then just ran a littles longer each week. It took me a total of 7 weeks to be able to run for 30 minutes. I found it horrible waiting for it to tell me stop running. I hope this helps!
  • MizzDoc
    MizzDoc Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Well I am here to say it does not get any easier. But I will say that with each segment/day that you do, your endurance gets better and better. So in time, the intervals won't be as much as a physical demand but more of a mental demand.

I have read many websites, forums, blogs, etc. about C25K and people's progress. In the end, many of them say it is mind over matter. The program is designed to push you 'just a little bit more' day by day, week by week. Now I NEVER thought I would be able to jog for 25 min straight but here I am doing it (well almost doing it, lol).

You do have to stick with it though. Don't focus on time, or speed, or even distance. Been there, done that, and it doesn't help. Only serves to psyche you out and make you more nervous. Just stick with the program, watch your pace (don't go too fast or to slow- which can be an issue as well), and stay focused.

Music is always good or you can download the millions of individual made podcasts that coach you through the intervals.

I am currently finished with Week 7. But I have had such a hard time finishing the 25 min. without stopping, I plan to do W7D3 over again. I find this week to be super hard for some reason. Sometimes you have to repeat and that is okay too. But trust, if I can do this (jiggly booty and all this weight), then YOU can to!
  • tandroes
    Options
    This is going to sound very strange, but stick with me.

When you start running longer distances, you have to be in the right "headspace." If you are thinking about time or distance, you are focusing on the wrong thing. Set the timer and think about anything else in the whole world. You have to be relaxed, drop your shoulders a little, breathe big and go for it. If you have to look at the timer, you will be pleasantly surprised about how far you went when you weren't focusing on it. I ran 4.89 MILES the other day doing just that...and I am a fatty!! Can you BELIEVE IT! Also, I usually like to run by myself since I am ultra competitive and don't like to be "behind" or slower than anyone. I find I run much faster on my own than I do in a group or with a partner. It's easier to zone out.

you are right... every time i find myself thinking about other things, i'm always further than i think i am
  • MizzDoc
    MizzDoc Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 2 day 2 and thought I was gonna die the first time I started lol. And when I went to week 2, I was like oh no, they done added another 30 seconds!!! But i'm doing it and thats the main thing!

^5!

And that is exactly how you have to look at it. Just get out there and do it. Take each segment, one by one, and do them the best you can. Your body, amazingly, will do the rest!

I remember I almost fell out on W1D1, lol. How would have thunk it? :)