Starving day after hard workout, what do I do?

Options
I've drank lots of water but still starving day after hard workout, how much should I eat? I'm female, 164,5'5.

Replies

• courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Well, you should eat food.

Probably should get a good amount of protein in since you worked your muscles hard and now they need to rebuild & repair. You should probably have some healthy complex carbs to replenish glycogen stores as well.

You should know how much to eat already - your daily calorie goal. For your height and weight I'd guess somewhere around 1600 but I would need to know your age and activity level too.

Use this calculator to figure out your TDEE and BMR:

http://www.iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

If you are trying to lose weight you'll want to eat less than your TDEE but more than your BMR.
  • techie30
    techie30 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    If you're genuinely hungry, eat. Don't go nuts, but eat a high protein snack or meal in the 100-200 cal range.
  • GetFitKTB
    GetFitKTB Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I think the main thing to remember is you don't want to starve yourself, because by doing so, you are only setting yourself up for failure. I would suggest eating at least three balanced meals a day. Personally, I eat four, smaller meals a day, which keeps me going, and I also think it's important to remember that food is fuel for the body. It's important to find what works for you, but starving yourself never works for anyone because the human body needs food. Just my opinion.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry, eat. What's your current calorie goal? Do you normally eat back exercise calories? If you don't, then that's the reason you're probably hungry. Your body needs the fuel to function. Aim to eat back at least half of exercise calories.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I always eat some extra carbs before a workout and have some protein after.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Not enough information to offer any advice other than 'eat'.
  • napilibay
    napilibay Posts: 121 Member
    Options

Probably should get a good amount of protein in since you worked your muscles hard and now they need to rebuild & repair. You should probably have some healthy complex carbs to replenish glycogen stores as well.

You should know how much to eat already - your daily calorie goal. For your height and weight I'd guess somewhere around 1600 but I would need to know your age and activity level too.

If you are trying to lose weight you'll want to eat less than your TDEE but more than your BMR.

Hi, MFP gives me 1280 and my maintenance calories are 1800. My age is 38 and I just increased my exercise to 3 days of 60 min mega boxing and 2 days strength training.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    MFP gave you 1280 based on the information you entered, which I would guess is to lose 2 pounds per week.

Depending on how much weight you have to lose, that could be too aggressive, especially considering your exercise. Are you eating your exercise calories back?

In general, if you have 25 or less pounds to lose, a goal of .5 pounds per week is considered a safe rate of loss.

It seems like you might be hungry because you're not eating enough.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    napilibay wrote: »

Hi, MFP gives me 1280 and my maintenance calories are 1800. My age is 38 and I just increased my exercise to 3 days of 60 min mega boxing and 2 days strength training.

Not sure if 1280 is an aggressive calorie goal or not (sounds like it is) but if you are not eating back exercise calories along side these 1280, you should.. MFP method is meant for you to eat back exercise calories..

So as everyone stated, eat more. If you get hungry on the day of or day after heavy exercise, eat more. Your body signals you with hunger because it is asking for additional fuel.