How long before you start to lose dress sizes?

Options
I've lost just under 30 lbs so far (I'm 5'3) my usual size is slightly looser but I would have hoped to have dropped a size by now. How much did you have to lose before you had to start buying smaller clothes?

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    a lot more than expected.

I'm 5'3.5 (that half inch counts for something!) and i had to lose 25 pounds to go from a size 6 to a size 3. Even then it depends on the brand, the cut, the style, etc.

I wear between a size 00 to a 3 depending on where i'm shopping. There is less of a difference between sizes the smaller you are though, so that's important to note.

edit; ps it also depends on where you gain and lose fat. i'm a pear so it takes much longer to lose extra fat off my butt and thighs than anywhere else.
  • hikuinezumi
    hikuinezumi Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My fiance has noticed I've lost from my face and I definitely have more of a waist. I'm UK size 20 which is huge (and embarrassing but we're here so who cares). I must be losing from strange places lol. All I've done is found happiness, I'm not comfort eating anymore, I have an active job - I used to work in a callcentre, and I have more space to move (and clean) at home. I'm losing about 6lbs a week!

But the loss isn't manifesting in sizes yet. I kinda hoped each stone I lost would translate into about a dress size but I'm two stone down nearly and while 22s fall off, my 20s are only loose and 18s are tight. In UK sizes, the differences are about 2 inches on the hips at my size. I'd have to study my sewing patterns to really work it out though (I'm really lucky that I can sew my own clothes so I don't have to go shopping when I do eventually start losing sizes). I think it does go down to about an inch difference at 8-10 but I doubt I'll ever get there - I have a pretty big frame for such a short woman :neutral:
  • Grammytryingtogetfit
    Options
    Wow 6 pounds a week is a lot!!!!! I have lost 15 pounds so far, have went from XXL tops to Large, some mediums:) Jeans from 12 to 10. I typically don't wear dresses, but I'm sure I have went down there too. I think it's different for everybody, not all of us lose weight the same. Just keep logging, you will notice. Congratulations on finding the happiness from being a healthier fitter person!!!!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    dress sizes are tricky..because the cut of the dress could keep you in a larger size depending on your body shape. ..say if it zips up the back and has a scoop neckline A large busted woman would have to get a larger dress size to make that work.
  • hikuinezumi
    hikuinezumi Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm fat around the hips, bum and tummy. I generally take top sizes one lower than bottoms.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    6 pounds a week is really fast... are you sure you're not under eating? Are you getting enough protein? Do you exercise?

I'm 5'4 and I'm in America so the sizing is different but when I lost 30 pounds I went from a size 14/16 (pretty large) to a size 6/4 (average/thin). But you want to be focused on losing body fat not just smaller dress sizes.

You might want to try making sure you're getting at least 100 grams of protein a day, do some weight lifting a few times a week, and some hiit cardio a few times a week. Weight lifting sessions should be about 45 minutes to an hour. Hiit cardio should be about 20 to 35 minutes. This should help you retain muscle, lose fat, and get a better body shape that is probably what you are looking for.

Great job so far, 30 pounds is a lot!!
    Wow!! Really great progress :)
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 3/4". I've gone from a snug size 16W to almost a 12, depending on the cut. I'm a pear, too, so losing the weight on the lower half of my body has taken some time. I've been at this for four years, hit a ton of plateaus, had to get over some head games, but during this period, I've lost almost 63 pounds. I'm a senior, so the weight has been more stubborn at times, but I'm in it to win it.
  • Cbestinme
    Cbestinme Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost as much as you yet, I don't think, but it's possible my pants size has changed slightly. I can wear my largest size, it hangs loser and just tried on a size down today and it seems comfy. From reading responses above there's so much variation it can be hard to tell what could happen to our own bodies. For example someone went from a size 14/16 to a 4/6 with a 30 pound weight loss? That sounds amazing! On my body, I couldn't imagine changing sizes so drastically. Has your own body changed drastically over the years? Did you gain weight and change many sizes?
  • simonecrane1994
    simonecrane1994 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Im 5ft 3.5ish and size 20 too! Having the same issue!! 29lbs down and still the same size, not even noticing much of a difference in my clothes but my bf says he can see the difference in my face like you say. Maybe we are just expecting too much too soon.
    Let me know if since this post you have dropped a size and if so how much loss you had when that happened :)
    Good Luck!!
  • duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Not a woman, but for some perspective I started at 340 pounds wearing a 44" waist and a 3xl shirt, which was tight. When I got down to about 260, I was still wearing the same size clothes. However, from around 260 to 220 I went from a 44" waist to a 34", and a 3XL shirt to a 1x. Going from 220 to 180 I went from an XL shirt to a large, and a 34" waist to a loose 32".
  • midpath
    midpath Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I started at 275 and I wore large shirts and size 18 pants. At my lowest (I gained over the holidays) I was 165 and I wore medium shirts and size 12 pants. It doesn't budge much lol.

To add, I'm 5'10 so I probably carry my weight a little differently.
  • szkodzt
    szkodzt Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    It took me much longer than I expected to drop that first size - around 30 lbs. However, the smaller you get the faster they start dropping. I think larger clothes just have more stretch and in my case I started out tight in my larger sizes (which is when I realized I should probably start losing weight!)
  • merbear787
    merbear787 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I didn't start to go down in dress and pant sizes until I started lifting weights. :-)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    50 and even then I probably had no business being in a smaller size but I just refused to wear the bigger size anymore! :p
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I was told at a plus-size store that in general (and of course, may vary by style/designer/etc) every 10 to 15 1lbs was another dress size. I can say that a 25-lb loss has made a dress go from "I can zip it up but I look like a sausage in a casing" to "another couple of pounds and I may need to get this taken in!"
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Im 5'8" and when I was lighter, a 5-10 lb loss was one or two sides different. Now Ive just lost 25 lbs and I think i *may* have dropped a size. Maybe. I think it just depends on where you hold your weight and the difference in the larger sizes. The good news is that as you lose more, it may change quicker !
  • alexp44
    alexp44 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm starting again this year and I really hear you about working in a call centre. It ruined my weight loss as I didn't realise just how many calories being active in my previous job gave me (I could eat over 2000 a day and still be dropping 2lb a week!)
    If it helps the I'm now around the 240 mark 5'4" and also floating around UK size 20.
    Last time when I lost weight I made it to a tight 12 somewhere near 160lbs but I noticed I changed clothes sizes the quickest between 200 and 170lbs. I'm hoping as I'm floating at this size I can drop down a size pretty quickly but I'm not expecting anything else until I've lost a lot more after that.
    Like you my face seems to loose it 1st (and my chest) but my hips take ages to budge (and even when I was down at 160 I struggled wearing higher boots as my calves refuse to go under 16" lol)