The "open bag" problem - anyone else?

Options
13»

Replies

• Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    My friend has a seal-a-meal. She takes out a serving of chips and then reseals the bag.

Brilliant. Make your own "unopened bag"

My version is to weigh out a "serving" in snack bags. There is that barrier plus you know exactly how the calories are adding up. It sorta slows you down to have get your azz up off the couch to get yet another bag.

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    We just bought finger lights to hand out for Halloween instead of candy because keeping candy in the house (chocolatey, ooey gooey, carmelly candy) is just a no-go for me. I do have to stare down a candy jar at work every day, because once I start, I can't stop. I need ALL the candy.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I buy the large bags of candy and chips, because of my husband and son. (Just because I am dieting doesn't mean they have too). Once the bag is opened I divide it into snack size Ziploc bags. That way I can eat an "entire" bag

This is genius, I don't know why I never thought of this before. I just bought some snack bags earlier and divided my open bag of M&Ms, as well as all of my open boxes of cereal. May do this with many of my other snack foods as well.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I have got better with this over time, I can now largely ignore open bags that are just kicking around the house. I used to keep treats above eye level - out of sight, out of mind. It's a great tip although I don't need it as much as I used to.

Interestingly, I still have this problem during parties. For some reason I compulsively eat treats in that setting when I wouldn't otherwise, and struggle for control. I don't know why the context makes such a difference.

I can be that way, too, at parties, even if I'm not hungry. I suspect for me it's a couple of things: first, it's something to do other than just sit or look uncomfortable, and second, because it's free and it's there.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    Grey_1 wrote: »
    The bag doesn't have to be open. Been lifting so now I can tear it open :p

In seriousness, I promised myself this time around that I wouldn't drive myself insane and obsess over every bit of food. My first month, about 3 weeks in I chose to have a snickers bar. It was sickly sweet, not pleasant at all. Since then I had a chunky ( yum) and some ice cream recently.

Letting myself do that helps a lot, for me anyway..now I'm back to hummus as a snack..

I did that with a Reese peanut butter cup. I had one cup and it was so sweet that I gave away the other one. Did they change or did I change?
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    Jruzer wrote: »
    One of the gems I took away from the book "Mindless Eating" by Brian Wansink was the notion of "barriers" between the eater and the food. As a very general rule, the more barriers, the less you eat. You eat more candy if you have a dish out on the counter than if it is somewhere less accessible, you eat less if it's tucked in the cupboard, and you eat even less if it's hidden out of sight. It doesn't have to be difficult to overcome the barrier - it's a psychological phenomenon.

Opening the bag is removing a barrier.

This makes so much sense. It works that way for me. Thanks for the explanation as to why. I use "barriers" with food to my advantage (ex. Single porion sizes). I try to avoid "mindless eating" by planning out meals in advance and avoid just popping something open and munching in front of the TV.

Glad you've found this helpful. I highly recommend "Mindless Eating." I got it from our local library. It's a quick read but it's full of insight into eating habits and psychology.
  • Misschuchii
    Misschuchii Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I had so many laughs reading this! I'm the same way ! I will grab a big bag of chips for my night time snack, start the movie and...BAM! They're all gone! Plus I didn't even get the satisfaction of them because I stuff them in my mouth so fast!

Like the Lays slogan...can't have just one!